Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of nehemiahphoto's message #15580806 « Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899) »

nehemiahphoto
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Mystik wrote:
nehemiahphoto wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
j4nu wrote:
In 20 minutes:

Edit: hmm, he found out some focus accuracy issues with the new Sigma...

Great samples from the video above. Sharpness apart, something is revealing though.

Shooting with 35mm lenses with a subject at 5-6m, the transition zone becomes part of the OOF background and there is less blur to mask outlining/double-lining or anything that makes rendering appear harsher.

Here we can see that the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN has a smoother transition zone compared to the GM. Sigma is paying attention to this in exchange for some resolution/contrast while Sony is going for sheer resolution with their recent optical designs.

I saw the same thing last night in Undone/Lang’s video. When he compares the DN and GM, he’s discussing the lack of clarity on axis compared to the GM, but he’s not discussing the smoother OOF area it allows.

I haven’t watch the video you took a screenshot from, but it looks even more illustrative as there’s more background. After looking at many of the GM photos on this form, I understand the rendering before these videos, like others I am sure. The GM 35 thread is interesting because when you look on it, I’m not seeing anything that special, but I am seeing crops that people take of their images because they just can’t get over how sharp it is. To me very boring, but everybody has their thing.

It all comes down to what people prioritize. Some see awesome clarity. I see harsh shadows and wrinkles.

It's interesting that Sigma has gone in the direction of pleasing rendering/bokeh in their lens designs. They were often criticized for how harshly the DSLR Art lenses rendered, so it appears they are taking the feedback into account.

Anyway I sort of questioned where the new 35 1.4 art made sense in grand scheme of things. Looks like this may be a not so big version of the Bigma. So it's differentiated from the GM in that regard.

yup, it’s the rendering versus resolution trade off. Pretty classic. And I noticed it too—Sigma was panned for big bland sterile lenses for a long time, and I was definitely one of those voices—but now with the GM 35 (I am being a bit sarcastic—the GM size is enviable). Sigma is going the other way, which is nice. To be honest, I am a little bummed. The GM 85 and 24 was just terrific for my test. The GM 35, 50 (from the little I have seen) and 135 not so. At these FL’s, I prefer Sony’s other in-house options of the ZA 35/1.4, ZA 50/1.4 and ZA 135/1.8, but I am willing to put up with worse auto focus for preferable colors and contrast and smoother the renderings.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Previous versions of nehemiahphoto's message #15580806 « Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899) »