Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              14       15       end

Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

keepcoding wrote:
now take that same photo at F2.8 and put them side-by-side. I don't think there would be a "loss" by stopping down in such a situation. and as a bonus that loca would also disappear.

As a "bonus", you would also lose DoF and increase ISO/SS.
Any other extra prizes ?

Apr 28, 2021 at 06:36 AM
keepcoding
• • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
As a "bonus", you would also lose DoF and increase ISO/SS.
Any other extra prizes ?

Loosing DoF is not necessarily a bad thing when the focus distance is short. As long as you don't take photos in a dark place ISO should be an issue either. I think reducing LoCA has the highest priority when taking photos close to the subject.

Apr 28, 2021 at 06:41 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I'm happy that you speak for all of us.

keepcoding wrote:
Loosing DoF is not necessarily a bad thing when the focus distance is short. As long as you don't take photos in a dark place ISO should be an issue either. I think reducing LoCA has the highest priority when taking photos close to the subject.

Apr 28, 2021 at 06:48 AM
keepcoding
• • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
I'm happy that you speak for all of us.

what is your beef with me? your answers are always kind of provocative / sarcastic...

Apr 28, 2021 at 08:04 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I don't have a beef with you, but with what you write. The same way I pointed out today when someone was pointing out others for posting close-up pictures. I just think it shows a bit of insensitivity or intent to understand what others may value/want to show in a picture/lens.
Here, as you said, closing down can help, but it's not a universal solution that will always work...
Anyway, sorry if I came off that way, I'm not going to post about it anymore. Maybe I'm also overloaded with 35mm options we got recently.

keepcoding wrote:
what is your beef with me? your answers are always kind of provocative / sarcastic...

Apr 28, 2021 at 09:07 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

In 20 minutes:

Edit: hmm, he found out some focus accuracy issues with the new Sigma...

Edited on Apr 28, 2021 at 10:19 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2021 at 09:41 AM
Matti6950
• •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Interesting Gerald undone even types on youtube video of Dustin Abott a response that he got a magical copy, and Dustin responds that he will look into it and respond on video of Gerald :o

Either way if Dustin's video is accurate of what production sample will be, i'm al onto this Sigma i think. Purely speaking the GM has most lust factor, (record mtf, speed af), 100 gram less weight, but this Sigma does almost everything the GM does, and for much better price. Also americans, don't let your price detract from european reality, the GM is 1700€ (1600 with temporary cashback), The sigma from the looks of it is 849€!!! That is less then after the price hike of the DSLR 35mm (899€ after price hike, 729€ before, when i bought mine). That is half the price of the Gmaster. Imo in EU, the Gmaster has to drop to at least 1299€ to be competitive (the 24mm GM started 1600 euro but is now 1400€ and cashback 1300€ (got mine used for 1150€, but you can find em now for 1000€), that last price would be epic for a good used GM copy, but any high, i just don't see the worth of it. To be honest i find the 50mm F1.2 gmaster much more 'it's 2299€ worth' (even though it's less my focal length) then the 35mm GM is worth 1700€.

And let's not forget 35mm F1.2 from Sigma (cheaper still then GM, especially used). I think bokeh (even on F1.4-f2) is better then any competitor, colour rendering is epic, and infinity sharpness is more then excellent (at least as good as F1.4 from Sigma, but i think for landscape it's just as good as the GM (the GM has more resolution close probably).

Secretly this also make the Sigma 35mm F2 seem really good.

One advantage of the Sigma is single lens focus group. Both reliability (how long the motor will last) and how fast, clean it can focus, i think among third party lenses it will be very good. The gm, just seems to have more 'magnet' horsepower (but not per se more efficient). Even though focussing seems power efficient, i wouldnt be amazed the Sigma has a longer battery life impact because of this.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:11 AM
kaldur

p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
In 20 minutes:

Interesting. He thought the new Sigma "blows all the other 1.8s, 1.4s out of the water, except for the Sony FE 35 1.8.."
The Sony 35 1,8 seems like a different beast but I wonder how this Sigma compares to the Samyang 35 1,4 (which is currently half the price of the new Sigma, and less than a third of the Sony GM price..). Similar traits might include: potentially somewhat funky bokeh, AF, not so sharp wide open at mfd, not relatively small, but still potentially a charming companion

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM
Fboss
• •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Sigma and GM pictures look very similar:
https://www.magicweddingphotographer.com/sigma-35-1-4-dg-dn-vs-sony-35-1-4-gm-vs-sigma-35-1-2-dg-dn-samples/

AF speed is about the same according to the video review posted by j4nu.
The focus accuracy issues at mid distance is a bit concerning. Besides that, the Sigma is basically a 120g heavier + $500 cheaper GM.
Will see what the other reviews say about the AF accuracy.
Other differences seem very minor.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
In 20 minutes:

Edit: hmm, he found out some focus accuracy issues with the new Sigma...

Great samples from the video above. Sharpness apart, something is revealing though.

Shooting with 35mm lenses with a subject at 5-6m, the transition zone becomes part of the OOF background and there is less blur to mask outlining/double-lining or anything that makes rendering appear harsher.

Here we can see that the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN has a smoother transition zone compared to the GM. Sigma is paying attention to this in exchange for some resolution/contrast while Sony is going for sheer resolution with their recent optical designs.

Screenshot from video above (Pay attention to the OOF rendering)

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great samples from the video above. Sharpness apart, something is revealing though.

Shooting with 35mm lenses with a subject at 5-6m, the transition zone becomes part of the OOF background and there is less blur to mask outlining/double-lining or anything that makes rendering appear harsher.

Here we can see that the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN has a smoother transition zone compared to the GM. Sigma is paying attention to this in exchange for some resolution/contrast while Sony is going for sheer resolution with their recent optical designs.

I saw the same thing last night in Undone/Lang’s video. When he compares the DN and GM, he’s discussing the lack of clarity on axis compared to the GM, but he’s not discussing the smoother OOF area it allows.

I haven’t watched the video you took a screenshot from, but it looks even more illustrative as there’s more background. After looking at many of the GM 35 photos on this form, I understand the rendering before these videos, like others I am sure. The GM 35 thread is interesting because when you look on it, I’m not seeing anything that special, but I am seeing crops that people take of their images because they just can’t get over how sharp it is. To me very boring, but everybody has their thing.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:02 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I saw the same thing last night in Undone/Lang’s video. When he compares the DN and GM, he’s discussing the lack of clarity on axis compared to the GM, but he’s not discussing the smoother OOF area it allows.

I haven’t watch the video you took a screenshot from, but it looks even more illustrative as there’s more background. After looking at many of the GM photos on this form, I understand the rendering before these videos, like others I am sure. The GM 35 thread is interesting because when you look on it, I’m not seeing anything that special, but
...Show more

It all comes down to what people prioritize. Some see awesome clarity. I see harsh shadows and wrinkles.

It's interesting that Sigma has gone in the direction of pleasing rendering/bokeh in their lens designs. They were often criticized for how harshly the DSLR Art lenses rendered, so it appears they are taking the feedback into account.

Anyway I sort of questioned where the new 35 1.4 art made sense in grand scheme of things. Looks like this may be a not so big version of the Bigma. So it's differentiated from the GM in that regard.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:11 AM
Hodie
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Photography gear = compromise.

Choose what works best for you.

Edited on Apr 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:13 AM
Flaxx74
• •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

So the Sigma appears to be a worthy successor to the 35 F1.4 ZA in terms of rendering. I regret selling mine already, I had a good copy. Awaiting Fred's rendering comparison for the final decision, but ready to cancel my pre-order of the 35GM. As long as an A7C is my main FF body, I am better off with the Sigma 35/2.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

nehemiahphoto wrote:

I haven’t watched the video you took a screenshot from, but it looks even more illustrative as there’s more background. After looking at many of the GM 35 photos on this form, I understand the rendering before these videos, like others I am sure. The GM 35 thread is interesting because when you look on it, I’m not seeing anything that special,
...Show more

Hey, that was mean - I love my crops (especially after moving from 24 mpix) .
Seriously though, I think it's clear by now that that Sony prioritized sharpness over smoothness.
Horses for courses though, less dreamy bokeh, but with nearly HDR colors and contrast. So, the more I shoot the more I see how different GM and Bigma are - worst part I like both (for different reasons, not only IQ-wise).

Regarding the new Sigma, we need someone reliable to do the rendering test as the reviews so far are all over the place (with Magic, the focus was off in some cases for example).

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Mystik wrote:
It all comes down to what people prioritize. Some see awesome clarity. I see harsh shadows and wrinkles.

It's interesting that Sigma has gone in the direction of pleasing rendering/bokeh in their lens designs. They were often criticized for how harshly the DSLR Art lenses rendered, so it appears they are taking the feedback into account.

Anyway I sort of questioned where the new 35 1.4 art made sense in grand scheme of things. Looks like this may be a not so big version of the Bigma. So it's differentiated from the GM in that regard.

yup, it’s the rendering versus resolution trade off. Pretty classic. And I noticed it too—Sigma was panned for big bland sterile lenses for a long time, and I was definitely one of those voices—but now with the GM 35 (I am being a bit sarcastic—the GM size is enviable). Sigma is going the other way, which is nice. To be honest, I am a little bummed. The GM 85 and 24 was just terrific for my test. The GM 35, 50 (from the little I have seen) and 135 not so. At these FL’s, I prefer Sony’s other in-house options of the ZA 35/1.4, ZA 50/1.4 and ZA 135/1.8, but I am willing to put up with worse auto focus for preferable colors and contrast and smoother renderings.

Edited on Apr 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I think you also need to look at other factors as well I know I always like Sony for build and construction, AF seems to better on Sony. So those needs are important. I shoot a lot and fast sometimes so handling means a lot. Than there is AF acquisition and things like focus throw. How is manual focus. I use manual a lot. So another factor. Lots of things to look at

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
Hey, that was mean - I love my crops (especially after moving from 24 mpix) .
Seriously though, I think it's clear by now that that Sony prioritized sharpness over smoothness.
Horses for courses though, less dreamy bokeh, but with nearly HDR colors and contrast. So, the more I shoot the more I see how different GM and Bigma are - worst part I like both (for different reasons, not only IQ-wise).

Regarding the new Sigma, we need someone reliable to do the rendering test as the reviews so far are all over the place (with Magic, the focus was off
...Show more

I could tell from the earlier samples and posted about a month ago that this was not a rendering lens and I don’t see a real specific fingerprint the way that many other 35mm (generally less corrected lenses) do. The new Sigma actually reminds me of my Pentax 31 as they share most of the same defects—Some spherical abrasions, not the best correction below a half meter, notable axial CA. The Pentax will have the nicer colors and contrast as they are just unbelievably delicate, on the 35 will have many other nice things going for it, including auto focus. the faster aperture, and smoother structural draw I think.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:32 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

GMPhotography wrote:
I think you also need to look at other factors as well I know I always like Sony for build and construction, AF seems to better on Sony. So those needs are important. I shoot a lot and fast sometimes so handling means a lot. Than there is AF acquisition and things like focus throw. How is manual focus. I use manual a lot. So another factor. Lots of things to look at

this is a big one. The AF. I was surprised to see in one of the videos, the sigma does not have an entirely linear manual focus response which seems like a pain. I have also heard that the GM 35 manual focus is overly sensitive. The G20 focus was too loose and I found it difficult to focus on stars at night and MF generally, while the GM 24 focus has a little more resistance and feels about perfect for a fly by wire. The 35i is quite good too.

The AF speed on the ZA 35/1.4 was a big sell for me at the time as it had an a9. And I wanted to shoot fast moving subjects. The GM 35 is superb in this sense, and that will be the differentiator for many right there.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Hodie wrote:
Photography gear = compromise.

Choose what works best for you. Stop bashing the gear that doesn't work for you.

I don’t see “bashing” here—lots of good options being intelligent discussed and differentiated. This is largely why FM is so valuable.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password