Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Alpha_Geist's message #15507456 « Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195) »

Alpha_Geist
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

LBJ2 wrote:
Alpha_Geist wrote:
LBJ2 wrote:
Jesse Evans wrote:
dog rocket wrote:
It's amazing how a brand gets slammed with anything they do. I had a Sony mirrorless with damn huge native glass (look at the GM series) and Sigma also has a boat anchor of a mirrorless lens (that I owned and sold to the tune of "she's too fat for me"). The Sony guys are lamenting how they have a gazillion 35mm choices but nobody brave enough to make a fabulous 28mm. Does anyone have any doubt this will be a fabulous 28mm?

To me, mirrorless has many other attributes going for it other than size and I dare say it's some of those other attributes that Leica is marketing to. M lenses work fabulous on the SL system, btw.
Thank goodness we have so many choices to b*tch about. lol

Sony's GM Prime lenses are consistently the lightest lenses in their segment. Their 35mm f/1.4 GM is 524g vs the Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron-SL which comes in at 750g. For 3.5x the cost you get half the light gathering, and an autofocus motor that sounds like it's chewing on gravel https://youtu.be/IMYY8oTAjDQ

I don't think that people are being unfair to Leica here. But I understand that also some people will buy this lens and be happy with it, and they do not care about its weight.

@Alpha_Geist. Are you able to hear the same 35/2 autofocus as Jesse presents in his video with your new SL2-S SL 35/2 kit?

I donít recall the lens making any noise when I shot it last a few weeks ago. Iíll check when I get home later tonight and reply back with my observations. 👍

From what I read, the SL2-S has the latest focus system, so am curious if that might make a difference or not.

I know I updated all three of my APO primes with the latest lens firmware as well. However, I recall that particular firmware update included some manual focus ring electronic override controls. There may or may not be other items addressed in that latest firmware though.

I last used the lens when I was doing some downtown exploring and ďstreetĒ shooting a few weeks ago...when the weather was nice and I had some time to myself. I donít remember and strange noises coming from either the camera or lens, but then again I wasnít looking for abnormalities. Iíll give it a listen tonight and report back.

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:52 PM

Previous versions of Alpha_Geist's message #15507456 « Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.