Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Holger's message #15173203 « Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses »

Holger
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus other lenses

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I have owned and shot both. While the g20 sharpness is great and rivals the Loxia 21 at small apertures, the Zeiss colors and contrast are preferable to me, and the Loxia flare resistance is better. The Sony has distinct advantages with better ergo and f1.8 and MFD.

Curious to see what Fred says.

I prefer the renderings of the Batis 18, Loxia 21, Contax G21 and GM 24 to the G 20. All these lenses are easily sharp enough even for large prints or on high res sensors. I think size, ergo, price and rendering are more important unless specific needs like low light, AF, astro, genre or FL specific.

I prefer the Sony. I prefer AF, speeds up my work drastically. I prefer the standard 67mm filter size of the Sony vs. the Loxia 21 or Batis 18. Price is lower than Loxia and Batis and GM where I live, the Contax is available used.
Rendering is subjective, I like both. I think PP to be much more important than minor rendering differences. The Loxia is too small for me. Mounting and unmounting is difficult. I resorted to doing so with the lens hood at weddings, using it to mount demount the lens.
So the 24GM and 20G are the ones we are using, for different purposes. Both fantastic lenses, imo!

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Previous versions of Holger's message #15173203 « Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses »