I received the Really Right Stuff TVC-24 tripod today. I intend it as a replacement to my current Gitzo 3541. There is nothing wrong with the G3541 - it is a first rate product and has served me well. But the promise of something a little lighter and a little shorter (folded), while retaining the same functionality, lead me to consider TVC-24. Even a very modest reduction in both of these parameters can make a difference in international travel.
Visually the TVC-24 cuts a smart picture. The attention to detail is balanced by simplicity of design. The high quality of fabrication shows, and here RRS scores a few points over the Gitzo (which is no slouch, I hasten to add). The G-locks seem better to the touch, the ratcheting mechanism to change the leg angle is clever. If I were a new buyer asked to choose between these two, I have no doubt I would select TVC-24.
Although the published specs show a difference of 3" inches in the folded length between the two, in practice the TVC-24 is shorter by just over an inch. This is because I use my G3541 without the centre column and with a Markins TB-30 base. Likewise, the difference in lengths when both these tripods are full deployed is just over an inch (Gitzo being taller). In the weight department, the RRS feels a tad lighter (haven't measured yet).
One final note - eyeballing the fourth section closest to the ground suggests that the RRS tube diameter is a hair larger than the Gitzo.
The question is, I think, are these refinements worth the extra price (~$300 or so) and is there a performance difference that is measurable (or observable)?
JohnJ80 wrote:
The question is, I think, are these refinements worth the extra price (~$300 or so) and is there a performance difference that is measurable (or observable)?
Thanks for the update.
J.
The "is it worth it" question is tricky. The reduction in folded length and weight makes it worthwhile for me. My hunch is that there is no perceptible performance difference.
Mar 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM
Lars Johnsson Offline Upload & Sell: Off
Rajan Parrikar wrote:
The "is it worth it" question is tricky. The reduction in folded length and weight makes it worthwhile for me. My hunch is that there is no perceptible performance difference.
But isn't the reduction in folded length just because it's a shorter tripod? I believe the difference is about the same when they are fully extended also ?
And the same would then go for weight (if you use both without center-column)
Lars Johnsson wrote:
But isn't the reduction in folded length because it's a shorter tripod? I believe the difference is about the same when they are fully extended also ?
Yes, it is shorter by just over an inch when deployed which is not a deal breaker for me (see my original post). The TVC-24 also has a smaller profile (i.e. girth) when folded since its spider has a smaller footprint. I measured it just below the spider and the circumference comes out to be around 1.5" less than Gitzo.
By the way, I hear that RRS is coming out with new tripods later this year that will offer increased height, and these will be designated with the letter L. For example, a TVC-24L etc.
Mar 22, 2011 at 02:45 AM
Lars Johnsson Offline Upload & Sell: Off
You write that you had the Gitzo G3541 ? Is it the mountaineer GT3541 or?
It will be like the Gitzo GT3541 L then. It would be really nice if RRS came out with a few more tripods. If they sold 8-10 different it would be great
the TVC-24 has a systematic type interchangabe platform assy allowing:
1 a full CP
2- flat no CP platform
3- leveling head
though substantially better designed.
I just heard via email from RRS that TVC-24L and TVC-34L tripods are going to be released in the next month or two. There will not be a TVC-34 at this time.
TVC-34L is aimed at shooters over 6' tall; it will extend to 70" and fold down to 24.75".
Traveler style versions are also coming next, the email says.
the TVC-24 has a systematic type interchangabe platform assy allowing:
1 a full CP
2- flat no CP platform
3- leveling head
though substantially better designed.
I also prefer the "systematic type" over the "mountaineer type"