As we're guessing why only "200" 645D , I'll guess its to make Hoya's sale of Pentax Cameras divisions more appealing.
Hoya quarterly reports give great insight concerning Hoya's view of their Pentax Cameras Division asset versus their always profitable Pentax Medical Imaging Division, the same Division they bought entire Pentax Corp to obtain.
Maybe a potential buyer of 645D should read the Hoya Quarterly Reports to decide whether to invest $10,000 into a 645D?
I'll guess the "200" number comes from getting a wholesale price brake on the Kodak 40mp sensor order.
Mr.Lindy wrote:
As we're guessing why only "200" 645D , I'll guess its to make Hoya's sale of Pentax Cameras divisions more appealing.
Hoya quarterly reports give great insight concerning Hoya's view of their Pentax Cameras Division asset versus their always profitable Pentax Medical Imaging Division, the same Division they bought entire Pentax Corp to obtain.
Maybe a potential buyer of 645D should read the Hoya Quarterly Reports to decide whether to invest $10,000 into a 645D?
I'll guess the "200" number comes from getting a wholesale price brake on the Kodak 40mp sensor order.
Remember the 200 number is wholly unsourced. I highly doubt it is correct unless it is simply the initial shipment number.
And here's a hands~on 645D
& its ONE newly designed for digital sensor, "Pretty Heavy Chromatic Aberation" SDM lens report from CP+ Show in Japan:
>>>"
I had a chance today to try out the new 645D at CP+ in Yokohama/Tokyo. It felt pretty much as I expected it to, having shot a 645NII and using a Pentax DSLR. Its big and solid, the viewfinder is just beautiful, resolution is stunning. They had some massive prints showing what 40MP is good for.
Some things I noticed:
The shutter seemed very quiet, not as noisy as I remember 645 shutters (of course, the sensor is much smaller than 6x4.5)
The AF is rather slow, and as people have pointed out, the AF points are clustered in the middle
I asked the people at the show and they said there were no plans for tethering, and referred to the HDMI port for output
They also said no planned support for SDXC
I only got around to trying one shot wide open with the new lens, so while far from conclusive, it seemed to have pretty heavy CA wide-open. It can have been user error since I didnt have much time to check settings and review the shot.
you might want to check the source of your information, seems there's a correction:
"*initially I had posted that there were only going to be 200 units available [in the first product run] and the source of that information appears to be incorrect. There does not seem to be any firm numbers published as to how many of these will be available per month or how many is planned for the Japanese market. Sorry for any confusion this incorrect statement may have caused. Peter Zack"
The post was written by Peter Zack, who just went back to the source of the "200 units" value, but found it had been edited. I think this is a misunderstanding because Pentax USA stated a year ago that the 645D would probably not be released in the US because they predicted sales to be only 200 units. Of course, this can change once the camera is tested and reviewed in Japan and interest grows in the US.
As for the number of units to be sold in Japan, I cannot find a reliable number, and I don't expect to. Unless Pentax were to make this camera a Limited Edition, there is no reason to divulge the number of cameras they'll be manufacturing.
this is what happens when you reuse an AF system designed for APS-C on a medium format body. the same 51-point system is used on Nikon's DX and FX bodies and on FX, the AF point coverage is smaller than many people like.
Herb...
Mr.Lindy wrote:
The AF is rather slow, and as people have pointed out, the AF points are clustered in the middle
I used the Pentax 67 and 645 in my film days. Scanned 645 color negatives make beautiful 20"x30" prints. I always found the system a great value when compared to other 645 systems of the time. I sold all my 645 bodies and lenses years ago to make way for a new Canon 1DS. Upon reading that there will be a 645D, I bought as quickly as I could Pentax 45mm, 55mm, and 80~160 lenses. Make no mistake, once the cameara is release all the "dirt cheap" lenses will be snapped up for premium prices.
Needless to say, I will be selling some unused stuff to finance a 645D, as I have no MF digital experince, but have 1DSIII and Alpha 900 experience, and I have "bigger is better" (sensor size).
Dave in NJ
3 questions for Pentax FranceWhile Pentax has presented the show CP + and its long-awaited new medium format 645DWe take this opportunity to ask some questions to the French subsidiary of the possible presentation of the case in France and the future of the brand. Yazid Belmadi, Communication manager at Pentax France.
Digital Focus : After years of research and development therefore reserve the 645D Japan?
Yazid Belmadi : Except for Japan, there is currently no formal decision to launch the 645D in other countries. We must first evaluate the potential of various markets before making any commitments.
Digital Focus: Will you ask a marketing France?
Yazid Belmadi: Pentax France wishes naturally 645D marketing on its market, but we must measure the costs of such an operation. This type of product must necessarily be accompanied by the establishment of a service "PRO" and a dedicated distribution network.
We will, hopefully, an opportunity to present the show 645D medium format in June. A great opportunity to gather the views of key users of medium format and take the temperature of the market in Europe.
Digital Focus: Have you an idea of market prices in Europe?
Yazid Belmadi: Yes, 645D with the 55 mm would probably sold around 10 000 euros if it is ever offered for sale.
Digital Focus: After a medium format, everyone expects a full-format SLR. Is this program?
Yazid Belmadi: We are now studying this possibility, but for now we prefer not to comment on this.
Digital Focus: What do you think of compact interchangeable lens?
Yazid Belmadi: We are carefully studying the market, but as for the previous question, we prefer not to comment now.
as i said, even Pentax gets something as simple as this.
Herb...
Mr.Lindy wrote:
Yazid Belmadi: Pentax France wishes naturally 645D marketing on its market, but we must measure the costs of such an operation. This type of product must necessarily be accompanied by the establishment of a service "PRO" and a dedicated distribution network.
I've never seen Canon or Nikon launch a new camera and then hold back on releasing it globally.
Its not your Daddy's Pentax, its Hoya's Pentax and they run the camera maker different than Canon and Nikon and Sony and Panasonic and Leica and Hassy , ect run their imaging companies.
One thing is for certain, 645D was announced in Japan, & will be sold in Japan.
645D available anywhere with dates certain are just logical guesses based on what other camera manufacturers do.
But this is not what Hoya does.
If you really want a 645D and you don't live in Japan, enjoy the additional wait.
Or buy a grey market body and if you need service then ship it back to Japan, the one country so far that will officially support 645D.
What's the rush? It sounds like Pentax (Hoya, whomever) seemingly want to do this right.
It's a considerable thing to launch a new product and given the wreckage that has littered the "high-end" digital imaging sector in the past years, I applaud the measured stance.
(While simultaneously pooh-poohing the previous habit of trotting out the "prototype" as often as they did - but hey, water under the bridge, the 645D is finally here. Do I get any special recognition for an insanely long parenthetical as this one?)
As to FA 645 glass, KEH kind of emptied out in the past 3 days. Even that busted up, UG or EX- 75mm f/2.8 with the muffed filter ring, flew out the door. It had lingered there forever, becoming an old maid of the FA used section. She finally found a home...
sirimiri wrote:
What's the rush? It sounds like Pentax (Hoya, whomever) seemingly want to do this right.
It's a considerable thing to launch a new product and given the wreckage that has littered the "high-end" digital imaging sector in the past years, I applaud the measured stance.
(While simultaneously pooh-poohing the previous habit of trotting out the "prototype" as often as they did - but hey, water under the bridge, the 645D is finally here. Do I get any special recognition for an insanely long parenthetical as this one?)
As to FA 645 glass, KEH kind of emptied out in the past 3 days. Even that busted up, UG or EX- 75mm f/2.8 with the muffed filter ring, flew out the door. It had lingered there forever, becoming an old maid of the FA used section. She finally found a home... ...Show more →
Fedex brings my three 645 lenses all rated EX or EX+ from KEH tomorrow.. Non were more than $172. Those days are now GONE!!
Dave
sirimiri wrote:
What's the rush? It sounds like Pentax (Hoya, whomever) seemingly want to do this right.
It's a considerable thing to launch a new product and given the wreckage that has littered the "high-end" digital imaging sector in the past years, I applaud the measured stance.
(While simultaneously pooh-poohing the previous habit of trotting out the "prototype" as often as they did - but hey, water under the bridge, the 645D is finally here. Do I get any special recognition for an insanely long parenthetical as this one?)
As to FA 645 glass, KEH kind of emptied out in the past 3 days. Even that busted up, UG or EX- 75mm f/2.8 with the muffed filter ring, flew out the door. It had lingered there forever, becoming an old maid of the FA used section. She finally found a home... ...Show more →
And they say that the 645D won't be sold in the USA. I guess there are at least a few that disagree, or are certain that they will find their way to these shores.
Interesting in the linked interview that Pentax states they are not happy with the performance of their previous wides on the 645D and say that they will be coming out with a new wide angle. Don't think I would be buying that 35 FA just yet:
"All the legacy lenses of the Pentax AF system can be used as-is on the 645D. Most of them are already at the right level quality wise but we are frankly speaking not totally happy about the wide end.
Therefore we plan to release soon a new wide high-end lens that will complement our existing wide lineup and be able to fully realize the image quality potential of the sensor for wide applications. It is also going to restore some of the wide capability that we have lost because of the smaller size of the sensor used in the 645D compared to 645 film."
Refreshing to hear a company man speaking so candidly about the shortcomings of a product. They sound like they have their heads on the right way, I hope it goes well for them.