fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end
  

Archive 2010 · Pentax 645D Released!

  
 
Cliff L.
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · Pentax 645D Released!


marinare wrote:
Are You talking about the older FA 35 or the newer one FA 35 AL(IF)?


They only made one version of the 645-FA 35mm f3.5...

The older (better) version was the manual focus 645-A 35mm f3.5.



Mar 11, 2010 at 06:31 PM
mawz
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · Pentax 645D Released!


molson wrote:
They only made one version of the 645-FA 35mm f3.5...

The older (better) version was the manual focus 645-A 35mm f3.5.


The A35 is in fact inferior to the newer FA35 AL in performance, the A35 is also outperformed by the FA 33-55 f4.5 zoom.



Mar 11, 2010 at 07:10 PM
abam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · Pentax 645D Released!


hauxon wrote:
Well I think it's $21990 for the camera, lens and back and $19990 for the back only. Still double the price of the Pentax 645D.


maybe camera only, mate, but

1. the pentax comes with a sensor, or other way round,
2. what are you going to shoot without a back for the mamiya, though (which is an extra $20,000)?



Mar 11, 2010 at 08:12 PM
mawz
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · Pentax 645D Released!


abam wrote:
maybe camera only, mate, but

1. the pentax comes with a sensor, or other way round,
2. what are you going to shoot without a back for the mamiya, though (which is an extra $20,000)?


The camera is $21990 with the back, the 645AFDIII retails for $3995 at B&H (actually, I think Mamiya is bundling the newer 645DF body, but that's only available from PhaseOne without a back right now, Mamiya is only selling it as part of a DM series back package)

Note the AFDIII works just fine with a $100 film back too. The newer 645DF is digital-only though (one reason why Mamiya doesn't sell it solo).



Mar 11, 2010 at 08:16 PM
B Landau
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · Pentax 645D Released!


molson wrote:
marinare wrote:

Are You talking about the older FA 35 or the newer one FA 35 AL(IF)?

They only made one version of the 645-FA 35mm f3.5...

The older (better) version was the manual focus 645-A 35mm f3.5.

Rubbish! The FA version of the 35mm lens is acknowledged as being better in every review I have ever read. I still own the FA version of the lens and can attest to it being tack sharp in the extreme corners.



Mar 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · Pentax 645D Released!


HerbChong wrote:
i'm pretty sure the white one is the A* 800/5.6, which makes it about a 20 year old release.
Herb...



Hi Herb... it's a 645 600mm IF A* @#$% thingy. Pentax often has so many little characters on their lens designations, yikes.

The 800mm is for the 6x7 system shares the color scheme and little else in terms of looks. The 600 has the carrying handle like a Snork

A dude on Craigslist in Seattle was selling a pretty nice-looking 800mm about 5 months ago if I recall. Totally impractical to a guy like me, but I'm sure somebody bought it because I never saw it again. His price wasn't extortionate either, I think it was under $2,800. Good condition, case, etc. but obviously lotsa tripod foot rub, go figure



Mar 12, 2010 at 02:36 AM
Cliff L.
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · Pentax 645D Released!


B Landau wrote:
molson wrote:
marinare wrote:

Are You talking about the older FA 35 or the newer one FA 35 AL(IF)?

They only made one version of the 645-FA 35mm f3.5...

The older (better) version was the manual focus 645-A 35mm f3.5.

Rubbish! The FA version of the 35mm lens is acknowledged as being better in every review I have ever read. I still own the FA version of the lens and can attest to it being tack sharp in the extreme corners.



I don't put too much stock in reviews and anecdotal internet chatter, I rely on personal experience.

Once I get my MF scanner unpacked and set up, I can you some examples of just how bad the AF lens is in the corners...



Mar 12, 2010 at 09:18 AM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · Pentax 645D Released!


A light table is still the best proof :-) unless you're drum scanning? Keeping film totally flat in Nikon 8000/9000 has always been a challenge for me. Especially if you shoot the super-curly Efke panchromatic film on 645. Two months under heavy books and it still curls like Schwarzenegger at Venice Beach in the mid-70's.

The chromes I have shot with an FA looked "tidy" in the corners, on a light table. Though, I have zero experience with any other 35mm focal length 645 lens.

molson wrote:
Once I get my MF scanner unpacked and set up, I can you some examples of just how bad the AF lens is in the corners...




Mar 12, 2010 at 01:18 PM
Lotusm50
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · Pentax 645D Released!


sirimiri wrote:
A light table is still the best proof :-) unless you're drum scanning? Keeping film totally flat in Nikon 8000/9000 has always been a challenge for me. Especially if you shoot the super-curly Efke panchromatic film on 645. Two months under heavy books and it still curls like Schwarzenegger at Venice Beach in the mid-70's



You need the glass film holder -- either Nikon's (which should come standard with the scanner), or one of the aftermarket solutions with could also take advantage of wet mounting.





Mar 12, 2010 at 01:59 PM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · Pentax 645D Released!


Greetings Lotus - I do have it and do use it. There's still corner problems with curly films, and the occasional newton rings with the glass. It doesn't necessarily pin the film to the mat like a wrestler would. There's still a little breathing room that film sometimes takes advantage of. The CS series isn't an exact science, and from following the Yahoo! user group, some people are fairly successful with it, and others get frustrated and sell the thing within months. Then there's the Nikon Scan compatibility issue with more modern operating systems, which frustrate a lot of people. I still use XP.

Have you shot that Efke? You'll wet yourself when you pick out the dried, developed film, it's as if the film base is programmed to back into a roll.

As to wet mounting, I'll pass, I think it's way too much hassle.

Sorry, this is OT.
Lotusm50 wrote:
You need the glass film holder -- either Nikon's (which should come standard with the scanner), or one of the aftermarket solutions with could also take advantage of wet mounting.




Mar 12, 2010 at 02:14 PM
pookipichu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #11 · Pentax 645D Released!


Maybe you had a bad copy, my Pentax 645 35mmFA was fantastically sharp, across the frame (including corners) fully shifted with Zoerk adapter with resolution that was very impressive, wide open. Beautiful bokeh and wonderful color, it was pretty much faultless other than being f3.5. I was using it with the 1DS3 and if not for the recession, would have kept the kit.

molson wrote:
I don't put too much stock in reviews and anecdotal internet chatter, I rely on personal experience.

Once I get my MF scanner unpacked and set up, I can you some examples of just how bad the AF lens is in the corners...




Mar 12, 2010 at 03:20 PM
Lotusm50
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · Pentax 645D Released!


sirimiri wrote:
Then there's the Nikon Scan compatibility issue with more modern operating systems, which frustrate a lot of people. I still use XP.



Yes indeed. This is the most annoying thing about Nikon. I've been on a 64-bit box for a few years now (recently went from XP Pro 64 to Win 7), have had to run the Nikon scanner on a separate box. I've periodically prodded Nikon on this. Apparently they have been considering and reviewing support for 64 bit for 3 or 4 years now. I'm not sure which is worse, not providing support for your products or lying about it. I would recommend Vuescan. It will work with the Ls-8000/9000 on Win 7 32-bit, and it will allow you to calibrate the scanner, which Nikon Scan won't let you do. It wouldn't work on XP 64-bit even though they had a driver for it. Apparently it had something to do with the Windows firewire driver. I haven't tried it with Win 7 64-bit yet, but plan to.




Mar 12, 2010 at 04:05 PM
abam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · Pentax 645D Released!


mawz wrote:
"The camera is $21990 with the back..."


right. to the both of you - my error.



Mar 12, 2010 at 06:34 PM
tsjanik
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · Pentax 645D Released!


sirimiri wrote:
Greetings Lotus - I do have it and do use it. There's still corner problems with curly films, and the occasional newton rings with the glass. It doesn't necessarily pin the film to the mat like a wrestler would. There's still a little breathing room that film sometimes takes advantage of. The CS series isn't an exact science, and from following the Yahoo! user group, some people are fairly successful with it, and others get frustrated and sell the thing within months. Then there's the Nikon Scan compatibility issue with more modern operating systems, which frustrate a lot of people.
...Show more →



Mar 12, 2010 at 08:24 PM
Mr.Lindy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · Pentax 645D Released!


Initial production run of 645D is:

only "200" cameras !!!

And again, 645D Japan market only:


>>>"

The new Pentax 645D is finally here, having just been officially introduced by Pentax. For the serious Pro (landscape, outdoor, portrait, fashion, etc.) shooter, this might be a game changer. That is, if they can get their hands on one. Pentax is initially only offering 200 units to be sold in the Japanese market. I suspect those will be snapped up (pardon the pun) in a matter of weeks.


<<<"

from:


http://enticingthelight.com/2010/03/10/pentax-645d-introduced-a-game-changer/


Welcome to the World of Pentax imaging, where credible rumors have stated every year since February 2001 that a full frame k mount would be offered "soon" and a 645D would be available since March 2005. So in March 2010 the 645D announces and they're tooled up to make "200" at a very appealing price point


Full Frame K Mount Feb 11th 2001 official announcement:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0102/01021106pentaxdigitalslr.asp

& for those who don't know, theres still no full frame k mount 9+years & counting



Mar 14, 2010 at 09:15 AM
mawz
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · Pentax 645D Released!


Love to know the source on the 'only 200 units', all the info I've seen indicates no numbers for the initial run and expected sales of 4000 units per year.

The FF K-mount body was canceled due to massive problems with the sensor, as the sensor cost increased significantly beyond the pricepoint promised to Pentax and the performance was inadequate aside from base ISO. It was the same sensor as the Contax N Digital and that body was also a failure.

We aren't waiting for an FF K-mount body, the program was officially canceled long before the *istD APS-C body was announced and Pentax has repeatedly stated that they do not expect to do a FF body anytime soon. Pentax's only vapourware camera was the 645D (Vapourware lenses on the other hand....Just where is the DA* 30/1.4? And the SDM TC's?)



Mar 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM
MichaD
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · Pentax 645D Released!


I don't get it. Why only make 200? Just to shun the vaporware awards?


Mar 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM
mawz
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · Pentax 645D Released!


MichaD wrote:
I don't get it. Why only make 200? Just to shun the vaporware awards?


Considering it's only one site claiming that with no reference to the origin of the number, I strongly doubt it's true.

It's possible that the initial shipment in Japan is only 200 units, but that would only be initial available units, not even the initial run length (since the product run would still be in progress when the initial units ship).



Mar 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM
MichaD
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #19 · Pentax 645D Released!


That does sound more reasonable. Economically it would probably be cheaper to just abandon the project than selling 200 units at that price.


Mar 14, 2010 at 10:21 AM
pingflood
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · Pentax 645D Released!


Depends on what their cost of manufacturing the thing is. If they lose money on each one they can't really make it up in volume.


Mar 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM
1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       10       11       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account