p.2 #1 · "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact?
Softboxes are pretty standardized using this sort of speedring and this necessitates some form of sub reflector. I could get around some of this by redesigning the insert. But still, on our products, you only have the relatively non focused speedring insert. This same sort of speedring on other lights has both the speedring sub insert and the light's own sub reflector, which is usually considerably more focused and placed the flashtube still further back into the softbox.
Where it really becomes important is on dish style retro-reflectors such as the PLM and a 22" aluminum version now in the works (current working name "Luap Supreme"). This thing focuses down to about 5° and up to around 30° . . . designed for sports and long distance work and producing Guide Numbers in the 600 to 800 range. These are actually being produced now and will be available soon.
Yes, the frosted dome and the position and brightness if the 250W Einstein modeling lamp is a joy, and really smooths out patterns . . . especially on high gain reflectors.
I have been really working on the fabric and frame shape of PLM V2 and am now getting about f32 5/10 at 10', excellent front diffuser results and vastly improved focusability without the center darkening seen on PLM 1. It's a lot of work and the sewing shops don't have the foggiest notion of what they are doing most of the time, so it's a constant cycle of sample and improve. Users have no idea how difficult to develop this sort of stuff via CAD drawings, fabric templates and email communications and constant sampling back and forth to China. I'll spend half of my Easter day at the sewing machine . . . and I detest sewing!!!
I know some don't like me to talk about what I'm working on, but that's what I do. I appreciate the good feedback and ignore the usually uniformed armchair critics and would be engineers.
Apr 04, 2010 at 04:20 PM
Kacey Offline [X]
p.2 #2 · "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact?
See guy's I get Paul talking and he announces a new product
Luap Supreme
You don't have a release date do you Paul...... JK
p.2 #3 · "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact?
Kacey wrote:
See guy's I get Paul talking and he announces a new product
Luap Supreme
You don't have a release date do you Paul...... JK
It's hard for me to keep up with all the production schedules and do all the design work. I believe the Luap Supreme is in production and due in about 30 days. It is 100% tested and designed and boy does it work. Also tested and approved and ready for production is an inexpensive metal "offset arm" (sort of a mini boom arm) that extends the light out about 9 inches from the stand top to allow better vertical tiling of beauty dishes, PLM, etc.
Apr 04, 2010 at 04:41 PM
Kacey Offline [X]
p.2 #4 · "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact?
From your description the Luap Supreme must be fairly deep? 12 inches or so?