Archive 2009 · Your job is important

jprezant
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your job is important

I photographed a wedding last month in Philadelphia. it was small,
only about 20 people, in a hotel.

When the family showed up, the Father was sick with what everyone
thought was the Flu. He was probably about 55 yrs old.

He was my only contact for the wedding (as I had gotten the gig
through another photographer and the details were hard to come
by)

He didn't respond to my emails in the last weeks, so I emailed the
wedding coordinator for the hotel, and was sad to learn that the
father had passed away the day after the wedding.

I now have what may be the last pictures of this girls father.

Just felt that I should share that.

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:32 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your job is important

Jason.... so sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you did your job. I am sure the pictures will be cherished. It's always good to remember why we do this... capture moments forever.

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:36 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your job is important

That's a story we never want to read about but unfortunately, it happens. My only experience so far was when one of our bride's Grandfather passed after the wedding. We had gotten some shots with him and various family members but not a portrait of just him alone. Being in a wheel chair made it a little more difficult, but I was able to crop and clone a nice shot. I included the file and 8x10 print at no charge when I delivered her album. Of course she cried when I presented it to her. It just felt like the right thing to do.

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:44 PM
weeums
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your job is important

j...

this is so true... I recently shot a family session for a single mom in our church - mother of 3 adult kids.. all in early 20's. The Boys were twins and 1 younger daughter.

3 weeks after I shot the family photos - one of the twin boys was killed in a car accident near his home in south carolina.

the mom has been showing off the photos to everyone and anyone and so proud of her boy and my work of shooting those photos just weeks before his death. While I wasn't at the funeral - mutual friends have told me that she publicly thanked me for taking the photos of her son - and how she'll cherish those photos forever!

it really hits home.... what we do is important for sure.

- travis

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:47 PM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your job is important

Dang man.

Pics went from priceless to.......I don't even know. Wow.

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:49 PM
cbres00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your job is important

A dear friend recently lost her husband of 60 years. I politely asked if she would like me to photograph his funeral (military with honor guard). She said she would love it if I could do that. I'm so very glad I was there for the family's last moment with the physical remains of their dear husband/father/grandpa. Priceless moments.

Dec 01, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Jami Guess

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your job is important

I can relate as a bride to this. Within 15 months of my wedding I lost three grandparents and my mother. I value my wedding photography due to the fact that the last pictures I have of everyone together, are from my wedding.

Dec 01, 2009 at 01:20 PM
Thomas Miller
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your job is important

This is a very valid concern. I was shooting T&I photos for a local high school hockey team. I managed to get a shot of a young man that typically never gets his picture taken. In fact, neither he nor his brother had ordered any pictures, but I insisted that EVERYONE get their individual picture taken as the yearbook or somebody might want the shot later.

Two weeks after the T&I shoot, the kid in question was tragically killed in a car crash. Not only was I the last person to get pictures of him, apparently he hadn't had any pictures taken of him for the last two years! I quickly printed up a picture package for the family...needless to say they were very happy to have the pictures.

Dec 01, 2009 at 01:24 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your job is important

Good stuff Jason.... glad you could step up for a bigger cause.

Dec 01, 2009 at 01:27 PM
Mr. Malik
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your job is important

Man I do not know what I am suppose to say. I know I want to express something as my own father is ill as well... but this is slightly coming to me as a shock... maybe reality.

We do not have control over much, we can only estimate our time here. I guess composing an Image allows us to forget reality, or create it out of something that no longer exists.

Photography may be passion for most, but its a blessing to some.

Dec 01, 2009 at 01:38 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your job is important

I think photography can bless all, not just some. I mean you can look at old pictures and so many memories are brought back. Pictures can be great for memories, history and so much more. When it comes to pictures, they are something I cherish forever.

Dec 01, 2009 at 02:25 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your job is important

sherijohnson wrote:
I think photography can bless all, not just some. I mean you can look at old pictures and so many memories are brought back. Pictures can be great for memories, history and so much more. When it comes to pictures, they are something I cherish forever.

agree completely ..... at some point in all of ours lives ... we cherish pictures for something..... what ever.

Dec 01, 2009 at 02:37 PM
Thomas Miller
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your job is important

Ziffl3 wrote:
agree completely ..... at some point in all of ours lives ... we cherish pictures for something..... what ever.

I totally agree with all the above. Pictures are so very important for all the reasons stated. Perhaps that is why it drives me crazy when I see parents that won't blink at spending $10 on coffee, but won't buy a picture of their kids at a sporting event. Yet, when asked, 99% of the people would say their most valued possessions are their pictures!

Cherish the memories...take lots of pictures!

Dec 01, 2009 at 03:53 PM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your job is important

Jason,
Thanks for posting, sometimes we need a reminder.

Stephanie

Dec 01, 2009 at 04:07 PM
phillip ino
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your job is important

Wow...what a story. My heart felt that.

Dec 01, 2009 at 04:08 PM
nickmurray

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your job is important

I've had a brides father die, on the way home from the reception.

it's times like this that people discover the true value of photography

Dec 01, 2009 at 05:14 PM
Cougra

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your job is important

I'm sorry to hear about this tragic event. It really does help bring home the reality of how important photos can be.

I too realise how important photos are. When I was 6 years old our house burnt down along with nearly all the family photos. Out of all the possessions we lost, we are still feeling the loss of the photos. While we were fortunate that friends and family gathered all the photos of us they had and made copies of them there are some which are gone forever. We have two photos that somehow managed to survive (with a bit of charing) of a family Christmas when I was only three years old and it's our most treasured family memento.

While it's not the exactly the same as having the last photo of a beloved family member who's past away, they are moments of my childhood I'll never be able to see and reflect on again. Photos are so important and they should be protected, not just hanging around in a family album on a bottom shelf, but there should be copies of the most important ones in a safety deposit box or some safe place as well.

Since digital photography has taken over, my family has started a tradition of burning a copy of every photo we take throughout the year and exchange the copies with every other family member just in case something happens to our computers, homes, selves whatever.

Dec 01, 2009 at 10:02 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your job is important

I received an email like this 1 month ago. I sent an email to a bride whose wedding I shot over 18 months ago, just wanted to say hi and see how things were going. She responded with something I wasn't expecting. She said her father had passed away a couple months after the wedding, and that she was so happy that I had photos of her and her father for her to remember. She was overly abundant in her gratitude and it really hit home to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Dec 01, 2009 at 10:09 PM
dennisyvette
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your job is important

I always make a point of taking pictures of grandparents. I even try to get them to sneak a kiss. You never know if the pictures you take are the last ones anyone will take of them. Our job is very important. Sorry about the situation. Better it was after the ceremony and not before. At least she did have her dad with her on her wedding day. Y

Dec 01, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your job is important

speechless. so powerfull and so sad to even think about. while i would be glad to make such powerfull pics i hope i will never come to similar situation.
closest we have is a portrait of very nice girl who's husband using as big reminiscence in his house. she died about 5 years after we made the photoshoot of her.
wishing good health and thoughts to everyone here

Dec 02, 2009 at 01:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.