Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · #363 When in Drought...

Namlak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #363 When in Drought...

I had a flash of inspiration yesterday as I looked out at my dead, brown lawn and pondered our recent drought-induced city ordinance that restricts us to watering only two days per week.

Now I know why you guys hate being on both sides of the camera! But I will say that live-view to the laptop with remote shooting control is a real life saver. It's a bit of a challenge to get the light and subject angles right, use the mouse to focus the camera, light a match, turn on the gas and light it, then hit the spacebar on the laptop to snap the shots while minding your hand position while regulating the flame and watching the breeze and nozzle angles - all before the plastic nozzle starts to melt!

Edited on Sep 22, 2009 at 11:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Namlak
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #363 When in Drought...

I would have appreciated this topic more three weeks ago...

http://www.kalman.org/will/photos/station640.jpg

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM
teglis
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #363 When in Drought...

I like the idea of your post. The blown-out flames bother me a bit. The angle is great.

-- Rich

Sep 20, 2009 at 05:14 PM
Namlak
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #363 When in Drought...

Hey Rich, thanks for the comment. I don't do a lot of people/situation shooting so I had a good time with that one. It was a good mental exercise in creative cropping.

But now I've changed the picture to another one with blown-out flames!

I tried to light up the nozzle more so I could turn down the exposure but I ended up lighting up my background cloth and I didn't have the space to move it back and get it out of the light and still get a good shot with all the other action going on!

Sep 21, 2009 at 09:17 AM
teglis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #363 When in Drought...

The new one is better. Clever idea, well executed.

Cheers,
Rich

Sep 21, 2009 at 05:36 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #363 When in Drought...

Fantastic!!! That is a real winning shot! Very clever, indeed!

I see you are a fellow Angelino. Whereabouts

All the best,

Endre

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Namlak
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #363 When in Drought...

Thank you, Endre. I'm glad you like it. There may be yet another replacement on the way tonight or tomorrow. I guess tomorrow I can plumb the BBQ back in

I'm in Porter Ranch, where are you?

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #363 When in Drought...

Don't second-guess yourself too much. This one is very unusual.

I'm in LA proper - the Los Feliz area - between the Greek and the Zoo. When Griffith Park burned up a few years ago, my end of our street was what got on national news as we were evacuating. We ought to meet sometime and go shooting photos.

Don't play with fire any more, since the Santa Annas are coming tonight.

All the best,

Endre

Namlak wrote:
Thank you, Endre. I'm glad you like it. There may be yet another replacement on the way tonight or tomorrow. I guess tomorrow I can plumb the BBQ back in

I'm in Porter Ranch, where are you?

Sep 22, 2009 at 01:43 AM
cardsunited
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #363 When in Drought...

This is crazy awesome. Too bad the flames are blown out. I'm guessing no one was in the mood for a second take!!!

Sep 22, 2009 at 07:22 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #363 When in Drought...

I really like this shot. It is very creative and shot very well. Terrific entry.

Sep 22, 2009 at 08:25 PM
Namlak
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #363 When in Drought...

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I did take more shots last night but I'm undecided on replacement.

Lighting up the nozzle more did allow me to drop the exposure and fix the flames somewhat but it also caused a loss of detail in my hand due to the lights being effectively larger because they were closer. I also lost most of the cool blue flame at the base and the nice orange glow on the nozzle giving a hair-light effect and definition to the nozzle. And the flame shapes, while truly cool mostly didn't work for the concept of a water nozzle spraying out flames like this one or they were misaligned, etc.

Then there's the question of visual drama that can sometimes conflict with photographic 'correctness'. I'm drawn to the image you see here with fire that looks dramatic and almost too hot to look at, even if it's "wrong". Something like very high-key lighting where over-exposure is both right and wrong. The lesser-exposed flames tended to look a bit dull and didn't throw off the *visual* heat I was after, if you know what I mean. But this shot would have been perfect with a stop less exposure, for sure.

Well, I'm off to play with some of the newer shots and we'll see what I come up with. I may post an out-of-the camera shot, too.

Sep 22, 2009 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password