New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

stits
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I have two questions.

A: Why does the price for this camera, in mint condition range from $500 to 2000+? What am I missing?

B: What are your experiences with it? I'm looking to get a nice general purpose medium format and this seem to really be the next best thing to a Mamiya 7II at the moment.

Dec 08, 2008 at 03:14 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I don't know this camera, but are you looking at actual sold prices on ebay? What's asked on ebay can be bizarre.

Dec 08, 2008 at 03:23 PM
stits
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Yeah, sold prices on ebay and the forums here.

Dec 08, 2008 at 03:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I've used manual focus Fuji rangefinders in 645, 67 and 69 formats. They have absolutely beautiful lenses and (aside from some fragile folders), they're very rugged. The GA is an autofocus 645 camera with a zoom lens (and it's supposed to be kind of noisy). If you would consider a fixed-lens, manual focus camera, then you might be interested in a 67 or 69 - I highly recommend the GW670II and GSW690II, I owned both of them (plus a GS645S Wide 60). I sold them all a few months after getting a 5D. They're still not cheap, but they take fantastic photos (and they're virtually silent). Their a.k.a. is "Texas Leica", 'cause they look like a really, really big Leica, and they're equally excellent.

Here's a couple of links that will tell you more:

Rangefinders Forum: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php?
Dante Stella 670 & 690: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/gw.html

Dec 08, 2008 at 04:55 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I agree completely with jcolwell. I used a GS645, not the wide. I have more photos from this camera on the wall than any other camera. Talk about a landscape camera. Big negative, light in weight. Only problem is the film.

Dec 09, 2008 at 12:18 AM
stits
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the links! I really would like the flexibility of the 55-90mm even if I can't change lenses but I will strongly consider the others. If any of you come across an interesting sale please PM me

Dec 09, 2008 at 12:50 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I had a new GA, superb camera, light and very flexible. I have no complaints about the camera at all. If the lens range is enough for you then you will love the size and weight (very good lens)

I had the 6x7 and 6x9 fujis, the 6x7 would be the camera I would go for if I stuck my foot into film again. I saw one at the right price recently and had to lay down in a dark room for a while to stop myself buying it (but then I would have needed to invest in the Nikon 9000 scanner again

The shutters on the 6x7 and 6x9 have a ping to them that gets a bit on your nerves after a while and they are fairly big really. However, after owning most of the top medium format cameras and lenses over the years I`m gonna stick my neck out and say that the 90mm lens on the 6x7 format Fuji is probably about the best I`ve used. I remember picking up the first few rolls of positives from the lab, I was just blown away by the quality.
If you go for one (67 or 69) then check the shutter count( or was it the roll of film count?) under the camera, they don`t have a particularly long life span before needing service (copal shutters I believe)
What really makes those images so edge to edge sharp is the straight film path.

Let us know what you decide on

Dave

Dec 09, 2008 at 07:18 PM
WiPhotoguy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I have one, and love it for certain purposes. It is great as a small (for med. format anyway) walk around or travel camera. It is great for landscapes and even quick people photography. It is very sharp and easy to use. It has a short ranged zoom that is handy, and even a small built in flash. It is top quality imaging with easy to use (for medium format).

Interesting thing that is slightly unusual is that it takes vertical shots when held in the normal camera position.

I have one I'd consider selling if you are interested. I would have to think about it for a few days though.

The two slight downsides to it are....slightly finicky film loading....definately read the manual carefully on loading the film. I also feel the battery doesn't last as long as I'd like.

Dec 11, 2008 at 05:41 PM
stits
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Oh wow, I'll shoot you a PM here in a bit.

Dec 11, 2008 at 06:30 PM
stits
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I just figured I'd bump this to say that I found one that was mint for a really cheap price ($300 plus shipping) and It's the most fun I've ever had with a film camera. If anyone is thinking about getting just one MF camera I'd recommend looking into this. I've shot in over three months something like 90 rolls with it and I'm now starting to scan them with my epson.

http://stits.org/fp/img0066.jpg

Pros: 120 or 220, light and built tough, sharp images, tele
Cons: 1 Meter Min focus, max 2 sec exposure without going to bulb, somewhat noisy film loading, 6x4.5 can be frustrating.

Edited on Apr 24, 2009 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2009 at 03:30 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Τhe GA is an unbelievable camera, since I got one I just dont wanna shoot anything else, 5D+Zuiko/Zeiss included. The camera fits in my jacket pocket so I just take it everywhere and use it for everything...

Check out this crop (and this is from my very basic scanner, on ISO400 negative film, not even slides):

http://spyro-p.smugmug.com/photos/519744017_oKfxv-X2.jpg

Whole photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/3465936258_6581eec9c3_o.jpg

These negatives just blow me away any time.

Apr 24, 2009 at 04:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Stop it! You're making me have third thoughts about the new Voigtlander Bessa III 67 folder (with Fujinon lens, of course).

Apr 24, 2009 at 04:52 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Naaaah, I'm sure you'll love the folder! Just picture the massive 56X67mm transparencies...

Better?

Apr 24, 2009 at 06:20 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

I have the Fuji GW670III and GSW690III, they are great cameras, highly recommended. The only thing I wish they had was in-camera metering but other than that they are pretty much perfect. With Ektar 100 now coming in 120, there's even more reason to shoot these big rangefinders.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2009 at 09:01 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Perhaps I had a bad copy, but my GSW690III was a huge disappointment when it came to resolution. Love the format though. I have actually been considering the Fuji G617 given the ridiculously low prices they have been going for lately ($1500 or so). Now that's a big Neg!

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

Tariq, there must have been something wrong with the lens on your GSW690III. Maybe it was reassembled with one of the elements reversed (happened to me on something, but I don't remember what it was), or something was knocked out of alignment (which would likely cause a noticeable dent on the lens or body).

Apr 24, 2009 at 08:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

If it was a bad camea, it came that way from Fuji as the body was in extremely mint condition and the counter was at around 30. On a light table, the chromes looked great, but scanned at 4000dpi and scrutinized, the images were not tack sharp as compared to scanned images from Hasselblad(50mm), Mamiya 6(50mm) and even Koni Omega 6x7 wide angle shots(58mm). Not even in the same ballpark in fact. I have read enough comments over the years to come to the conclusion that either there is huge sample variation with the Fuji GSW 6x9's(mine is not an isolated case) or those who love them for the sharpness of their lens have perhaps not really scrutinized them, and absolute sharpness may not matter to them. That's fine and valid. When I had the camera, I shot it very often as I really liked everything about the way it handled.

jcolwell wrote:
Tariq, there must have been something wrong with the lens on your GSW690III. Maybe it was reassembled with one of the elements reversed (happened to me on something, but I don't remember what it was), or something was knocked out of alignment (which would likely cause a noticeable dent on the lens or body).

Apr 24, 2009 at 09:41 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Silly Question about the Fuji GA645 ZI for anyone who knows

stits wrote:
and I'm now starting to scan them with my epson.

Wow, a b&w with CA!

Apr 25, 2009 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.