1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

Archive 2008 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

John Power
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

theSuede wrote:
This means that Canon is using binning techniques (averaging type noise reduction) to boost their low-light performance. So much for "RAW is untouched sensor readouts"... I've suspected this for some time now as high ISO low-contrast resolution suffers a bit more than it technically should with the latest body releases.

When are people going to accept the fact that you need decent light to get decent photographs?

Dec 05, 2008 at 10:47 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

John Power wrote:
When are people going to accept the fact that you need decent light to get decent photographs?

So stop shooting at high ISO then? Right.

Dec 05, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

bobbytan,

Here you go:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/calebrw/_mg_0166_acr_nr_wb_web.jpg

Dec 05, 2008 at 10:58 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

It's not always the amount of light that matters, but the quality of light that makes the difference.

Dec 05, 2008 at 10:58 PM
rsg_1
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

I found this explanation of defects after reading about the "black dots" issue on DP Review
[url]http://hannemyr.com/photo/defects.html[/url]

Scroll down to the part about Chromatic Aberration. I think this is what these dots are.

Dec 05, 2008 at 11:51 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

Much better, Caleb!

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:04 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

bobbytan wrote:
Much better, Caleb!

Thanks. Now I could get rid that water mark.

I'm sure I could figure out a way to remove it mostly or so with levels, but it's not that important to me.

Dec 06, 2008 at 01:30 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

bka20d wrote:
if you can direct me to those forums i would be very interested in reading the threads...i have been shooting with a 1ds3 for a year and never experienced anything like this...
regards,

+1

Dec 06, 2008 at 03:18 AM
Etadam
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

We should definitely pay tribute to those who dedicated time and money to be the first real beta-testers of the 5D2.
Thank you.

Dec 06, 2008 at 07:48 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

Etadam wrote:
We should definitely pay tribute to those who dedicated time and money to be the first real beta-testers of the 5D2.
Thank you.

Yes, a lot of people get all excited by the Canon propaganda machine and all the hype on these forums and just line up to be the 1st on the block. That is how marketing is supposed to work.

Dec 06, 2008 at 10:25 AM
jayquintero
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

I remember when Canon was having a problem with the MK3 (which by the way is NOT fixed yet)You send the camera in to Canon to get it fixed and they return it with a blue dot on it. This meant it was fixed (yea,right). I suppose this time you send in your 5DM2 with the "black dots problem" to get it fixed, and it will be fixed and returned to you with a red dot(which means it is fixed) Do I see a pattern here? Maybe Canon should change their name to CANDOT...

Dec 06, 2008 at 10:58 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

Have I got this right? There is, at most, one person who has responsed to this tread who has experienced this 'problem' with his 5dMKII. Maybe. One photo has been posted that shows this 'problem.' Everyone else (four pages now) is simply speculating or commenting for the hell of it (myself included). And some people are canceling their orders. We truly do live in an amazing time.

Dec 06, 2008 at 11:49 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

Russ Isabella wrote:
Have I got this right? There is, at most, one person who has responsed to this tread who has experienced this 'problem' with his 5dMKII. Maybe. One photo has been posted that shows this 'problem.' Everyone else (four pages now) is simply speculating or commenting for the hell of it (myself included). And some people are canceling their orders. We truly do live in an amazing time.

Other forums have many different examples posted. This is not a one hit wonder.

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

I tried to create the problem with my 5D2 but was unable to.

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

chez wrote:
Other forums have many different examples posted. This is not a one hit wonder.

Okay, that may be, but are you suggesting that everyone posting here is doing their research elsewhere, then coming back to provide an informed opinion?

Dec 06, 2008 at 12:30 PM
ivanshusky
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

I have posted something similar with two 1D2N bodies I used to own. Canon could never fix it, had to sell them in the end.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597080/

Dec 06, 2008 at 02:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

Russ Isabella wrote:
Okay, that may be, but are you suggesting that everyone posting here is doing their research elsewhere, then coming back to provide an informed opinion?

Yes. There have been links from this thread to other forums that have more details on the issue. Nothing wrong with looking at other forums to get a better understanding of the issues.

Dec 06, 2008 at 02:23 PM
RalphJ
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

ivanshusky wrote:
I have posted something similar with two 1D2N bodies I used to own. Canon could never fix it, had to sell them in the end.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597080/

That is a really interesting thread (in a perverse way, I mean) and seems to have baffled some of our sharpest forum participants, e.g.:

Ariel Bravy wrote:
Oh wow, that's really weird. Thanks for posting the additional comparison images. I have no idea what that is...

Sam Bennett wrote:
Okay, I see what you're talking about now. That's a really, really strange effect and I'm at a total loss to explain it.

Ivan, I know you sold your 1D2n's, but did you ever hear more about the problem anywhere else?

And you're right: it certainly looks similar to the black-dot phenomenon being discussed here, with the chief difference being that your source blown highlights were much larger than those in OP of this thread's sample.

I know many are saying Pfft, what's it matter, but for those of us who do a lot of night shooting at ISO 3200, it does matter...

Edited on Dec 06, 2008 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2008 at 02:36 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

chez wrote:
Yes. There have been links from this thread to other forums that have more details on the issue. Nothing wrong with looking at other forums to get a better understanding of the issues.

Chez,
Honestly, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to make a point. There's a lot of discussion going on with VERY LITTLE data. One poster on this thread has posted two links that both deal with the same issue and, as far as I know, stem from the single image that appears here numerous times. That's it. Then there's another link, from a 5DII user, to a photo with no black dots though similar highlights. And there are a few links related to 1-series bodies. I maintain that the amount of discussion, much of it trashing Canon and writing off the 5DIII, is surprising if not concerning given the lack of evidence (here or elsewhere if we are to rely on provided links) and the absence of contributions from people who actually have this camera in their hands. Why are so many still even thinking about Canon if the expectation is that disappointment awaits? And I'm even more curious to know why so many seem so happy--yes, I detect a fair amount of gloating!--to jump on that bandwagon.

Dec 06, 2008 at 02:37 PM
ivanshusky
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · 5Dmk2: Black Dot Phenomenon

RalphJ wrote:
Ivan, I know you sold your 1D2n's, but did you ever hear more about the problem anywhere else?

Nope, I thought it was just a 1D2N thing. Seems like this thing with Canon is still going on.... too bad

RalphJ wrote:
I know many are saying Pfft, what's it matter, but for those of us who do a lot of night shooting at ISO 3200, it does matter...

Indeed!! Hope we can find out the cause of it this time. Most importantly, hope Canon can find a way to fix it.

Dec 06, 2008 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.