Deadline: September 1st noon UTC/GMT

MA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · #55 Grandma

Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #55 Grandma

My friend's 87 y.o. mother. She's quite a character and a real ham in front of the camera.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #55 Grandma

I love this shot! An excellent "face" entry, Bev.

Nov 26, 2008 at 06:57 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #55 Grandma

Gee whizikers, Bev, wha'dya do to get her so mad at you? Looks like she's gonna blow!

Bravo! This will be a tough one to beat.

Fond regards,

Endre

Nov 28, 2008 at 02:14 AM
J Andersen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #55 Grandma

Wow she's got a mean look on that face.

Nov 28, 2008 at 03:04 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #55 Grandma

JIM, ENDRE and J:

Thank you! I told her I wanted to take her picture for a "face" entry and she gave me this face! ha As I said, she's quite the character.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #55 Grandma

Hi Beverly, For some reason this women looks so familiar..is she by chance an actress? You captured perfectly...a true character. Well done, Carolyn

Nov 30, 2008 at 04:53 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #55 Grandma

CDalessandro wrote:
Hi Beverly, For some reason this women looks so familiar..is she by chance an actress? You captured perfectly...a true character. Well done, Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn. She's not an actress, but she is a true character. I took some smiling pics of her, too. To get her to smile her daughter recited the mom's favorite dirty limerick! I could hardly hold my camera still I was laughing so much.

bev

Dec 02, 2008 at 03:31 PM
wbmcl

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #55 Grandma

Technical question (and I see other photos that I could ask this of) - why ISO 320? Was that an auto selection or did you choose that distinctly and if so, why?

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #55 Grandma

This was shot so long ago I don't remember exactly why I chose the settings I did, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the limitations of my sync speed with the Alien Bees lights (1/200 max). I didn't want a flood of bright light since I wanted to keep the background dark, and ordinarily to achieve that you raise your shutter speed. I set my shutter speed and the aperture I wanted, and then lastly raised the ISO till I had a correct exposure. Hope this helps. I always raise ISO as a last resort although with today's noise-handling abilities you can shoot in the studio at 1/200 or greater with no noticeable decline in quality and thereby save some wear and tear on your flash tubes. I always shoot in manual mode.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM
cdn_bacon

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #55 Grandma

haha I love this.

Feb 07, 2017 at 12:43 PM

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.