Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Monthly Assignment 52 - Reflections
Deadline: September 1st noon UTC/GMT

MA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Carolyn1250
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

I've been in animal rescue/shelter work for 10+ years and my monthly photo is a tribute to my small group of fellow volunteers ... who give their love, money, time and sacrifice daily to help the animals discarded by others. They never ask for anything in return and day after day, reach out to help the abandoned, neglected and abused dogs and cats in this country. The lives they have touched, and saved, would be in the thousands.

In my lifetime, I have rarely seen so selfless a quality of love.

The 8-week-old kitten in the photo is one of the lucky ones ... she survived

Sep 30, 2008 at 01:04 PM
Ashley U.

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

I love it!

Sep 30, 2008 at 01:34 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Is it a photograph or art? Bravo!!!

Sep 30, 2008 at 08:55 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Carolyn, This is a lovely image - simply beautiful. It is amazing the quality of animals at the shelters, and the staff. I use to dread doing these shoots, because there was always some animal that pulled my heart strings. The last shoot I did resulted in yet another adoption. Ciara actually likes to pose. (linked below) Folks, if you want a great animal...go to your local humane society or animal shelter.

Ciara

Sep 30, 2008 at 09:04 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

WOW,Carolyn this is awesome...absolutely a beautiful moment here. Bravo,well done!!

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

WONDERFUL portrait. Great focus and DOF.
The kitten's expression is great!
~ Carrol

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Gorgeous!

Oct 01, 2008 at 01:26 AM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Wow thank you kindly for all the input. I know that takes time.

Actually, I did not do that much by way of PP ... it is one pass on Nik Silver Effects (an antique filter kind of thing), then slight dodge/burn. There was also some shelter clutter in the background I dodged out.

I'm not sure if any of you wanted a little history, but here goes:

In addition to being on the board (and fostering, 200+ animals, mostly dogs, in the last 10+ years) for my own humane association, in the last few months, I volunteered to take cat/kitten photos every couple weeks down at this high volume county animal control to raise awareness/existence of them for homes for the felines on Petfinder. Their euthanizations were high and without proper Petfinder exposure, the cats lucky enough to find a space were languishing there. It's SO fun to shoot, truly makes my passions merge and I feel great; but the PP is about three hours each time, easy, so a LOT of work. Then, on top of that, my small rescue/shelter intakes a guy or two from that animal control when I am out there, to also try to save more. I took in a neat cat named Steve, who is now my assistant.

I'm sort of behind the 8-ball in that animal control as the light is horrid, the noise is deafening (dogs barking, machines to clean, etc and sadly, the kittens are in a hallway adjacent to that) and there are usually volunteers coming/going, sometimes the kittens look similar and I have to scramble around for the microchip scanner and paperwork. So, especially for the babies, it's the most challenging of circumstances in every way ... I never have much time to adjust any one shot; and I cannot do anything about the lighting. I push my 5D to the limit (always around 1000 ISO) and the only lens that can even handle it is my cheapo 50mm 1.8. I don't really have the money for a $1000+ prime ... I will grab any human who is kind enough to be the "handler" while I shoot.

The woman in the photo does NOT like having her photo taken (seems to be the case with most of the humans I volunteer with), so it was a struggle to have her let me use even this. She was soft enough, so it was a go.

After years and years of shooting dogs for my humane association, the cats have been interesting ... it's very much an adventure! Some just sink into the five minutes of love/handling, like this little sprite, but most look at it as a time to play and be well, a proper kitten ... so with literally 100s of photos, I only come away with one or two that might be useable in some other area ... lots and lots of kitty behinds and blurred shots

The great news is the adoptions are rising quickly as some people will see the photo online, then go down to the shelter and adopt!

Carolyn

Oct 01, 2008 at 07:38 AM
Camare
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Beautiful! I've also been in animal rescue & rehabilitation ... on the wildlife side -- since 1986. It's been a wonderful experience to work with wild critters. Every release back to the wild was very emotional and exhilarating. But, my most memorable was being up close and personal with bobcat kitten that suffered from epilepsy. We gave her the best few months of her life.

Edited on Oct 02, 2008 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2008 at 08:53 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

I adopted a 6 week old kitten from RSPCA years ago which I called Jasmin... It was really heartbreaking to hear from the lady there that some of them would have to be put down to give room to newcomers as they only have limited space...

All the best to you guys at the animal rescue!!

Oct 01, 2008 at 09:14 AM
Alice OBrien
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

The expression of LOVE was instantaneously felt with this image. I didn't have to analyze it at all. The "emotion" is expressed perfectly.

Oct 01, 2008 at 10:11 AM
shazza

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

This is the first time I've voted -- your shot grabbed me and I voted for it just from the thumbnail. Then I came here to read more about it. Wonderful of you to do all that you do for the animals!

Oct 01, 2008 at 08:19 PM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

this is really great photo.... BRAVO

Oct 04, 2008 at 12:59 AM
-rce-
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Marvelous, simply marvelous.

My wife and I currently have five cats (and there were others that have passed from old age) that we've adopted from a no-kill cat shelter in north-central MA. (http://www.kittyangels.org) - hint, hint! And, they do mean NO KILL!

I can't say enough good about the owner, organizers, and volunteers of this shelter.

Oct 05, 2008 at 07:33 AM
Spin City
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

A superb image!

Congratulations and good luck.

Rick

Oct 09, 2008 at 12:56 AM
Netgarden
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Beautiful, touching image. Perfectly showing exactly what you said. Thank you!

Oct 10, 2008 at 01:21 AM
azurekenzo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

awesome shot!

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM
soothsayerman

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

Not sure if it's anthropomorphism on my part, but the expression on the kittens face, it's posture and it's claws lightly gripping the shoulder. Quite a heartfelt moment.

If you framed this and put it in the lobby of the shelter, I think it could have positive impact on people coming to look at animals for adoption. Nicely done.

Dec 21, 2008 at 06:48 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #53 Love for the Discarded ...

This is simply a gorgeous image, and I am so glad you used B&W, as it really focuses on the emotion of the moment. Your heart and soul melt for both the woman and the kitten.

Be as proud of this image as possible, it's a defining moment of art, and shows how your dedication (and that of others) improves our world.

Gene

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.