I sent a camera off to the states for infra red conversion, it got their fast and was converted within the time span stated, it was shipped back and has spent the last 5 days in the UK customs at Heathrow airport I had a package that took 5 weeks to arrive from the states in December (4 weeks in customs)
It seems to be when Parcel force is involved this end. when a small package comes in to be delivered via the post office it seems to get through OK.
What a disgrace, i wonder how many other people have had this fallen fowl of the British custom backlog and then you are asked to pay OTT charges for the privelage.
Yep, extremely slow processing. I had a Tag Mclaren amplifier sit in UK customs for a week and a half before they released it into the UK. I had to call to make sure it was getting through. After the third call, it finally got through. There was no problems getting it returned back to me in the US after it was repaired.
Yes, another day goes by and nothing. It is annoying.
It isn`t a true reflection on how things move about in the UK, it`s just under staffing to save a few £`s. It`s like when the new terminal opened at heathrow, what a cock up and the luggage belts broke down and thousands of travellers had to go on holiday without there clothes. Outsiders must look at the news about the UK and roll around the floor laughing.
It`s a shame because it really isn`t like that in the UK in general, things get done and move around overnight. I can understand why the rules are put in place but they should provide the man power to carry out the rules. As I said before, you have this long wait and then the added bonus of the charges.
Dave
I've been thinking about sending a body away for IR conversion also (or at least I was before my inlaws took a shine to me 'spare' 400D).
The lifepixel website mentions filling out the correct customs forms so you don't pay import tax at either end. Did you do this and where did you get the forms from?
I filled out the declaration at the PO. Lifepixel sent the camera back with a declaration stating " Customers own camera been repaired" I`m now told it has been released for delivery soon with charges £60. when I asked about paying vat and charges on my own camera I was told that the charges relate to the cost that life pixel put on the package (which was their charge for doing the work)and just like in this country when you employ someone to do work for you then you have to pay vat on the labour.(provided they are vat registered that is) That`s about it John.
I`m hoping it`s worth while. I have since however found a company in this country that will also do the work, I posted it on another thread.
I`ll find it and re-post
Got the camera today, did some quick snaps and they look good(will post one when I have time)
The camera came back from lifepixel as I sent it, in great condition, well packages and well sealed up in plastic inside the box. So if there packaging is anything like the workmanship (and it generally follows) then it should be fine. Got to get used to the exposure (seems to need a hell of a lot more) but the results look good .
What i need now is to find a forum that specializes in infra red to pick up a few tips.