WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Archive 2008 · # 291 Chaconne

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · # 291 Chaconne

Thanks, Jim, my friend! Your kind comments always mean a lot!

Fond regards,

Endre

1_of_9 wrote:
I don't know what I could possibly add to all the wonderful comments you have already received, Endre. I particularly love the background. Super creation...good luck!

Apr 22, 2008 at 09:52 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · # 291 Chaconne

Thanks, Carrol! I appreciate your kind comment. Glad you like it!

All the best,

Endre

Carrol wrote:
Very creative, Endre!
Niiiiiiiiice!
~ Carrol

Apr 22, 2008 at 09:53 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · # 291 Chaconne

Thanks so much, Jon! I never count my chickens before they cross the road but I appreciate the early vote of confidence!

All the best,

Endre

gt_me_jon wrote:
One word can describe this..."FABULOUS!" I smell finalist. One of my favorite images this week.

Apr 22, 2008 at 09:55 PM
akovacsi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · # 291 Chaconne

Interesting image, but I am wondering if photoshopped images are allowed?

I do not mean to take credit away from the OP or this altered image, but if so, I personally think that it takes away from the creativity process of taking a photograph. Anyone with photoshop can alter a few images and come up with something that cannot be achieved by just taking a creative photograph. I feel that photoshopping puts at disadvantage the other protographs who take various picture and submit it for its value as a photograph in composition and creativity and technical merits, and not a photoshopped photo. I think the playing ground is not balanced if photohopped and altered (other than contrast, sharpness) images are allowed in. It becomes a "look what I can do in photoshop" contest...

These images could have been taken in the past (side stepping the rule that images need to be taken only during the contest week), there is no exif information (it is a photoshopped image), etc... If photoshopped imaged are allowed, can we also submit HDR images?

Again, nothing with this image, but need to clearify whether are judging images on their artistic merit as a photograph, or as a photoshopped image.

Edited on Apr 24, 2008 at 09:06 AM

Apr 24, 2008 at 08:58 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · # 291 Chaconne

akovacsi wrote:
Interesting image, but I am wondering if photoshopped images are allowed?

I do not mean to take credit away from the OP or this altered image, but if so, I personally think that it takes away from the creativity process of taking a photograph. Anyone with photoshop can alter a few images and come up with something that cannot be achieved by just taking a creative photograph. I feel that photoshopping puts at disadvantage the other protographs who take various picture and submit it for its value as a photograph in composition and creativity and technical merits, and not a
...Show more

Hi,

The rules for the weekly assignment do cover this issue. They read, "Montage techniques are allowed but should be functional and kept to a minimum. Your entries for the weekly assignment should highlight your photographic skills, not your software knowledge." So that should be our standard. Now this particular entry by Endre in my view does highlight his photographic skills and his software knowledge. I love the image for both. I voted for it, however, for the display of photographic skill. People have submitted HDR images in the past, selective coloring, etc., but according to the rules we should judge these entries based on photographic skill, and simple functional improvement of the shot. In addition to say no photoshopping would be pretty ironic for this contest as one of the prizes that is given is a photoshop plug-in. I think Fred has struck a nice balance here between no photoshop and photoshop dominating the contest. My two cents.

Apr 24, 2008 at 09:38 AM
akovacsi
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · # 291 Chaconne

True - I agree with you.

The only thing is - where is that balance between an image that has just the "right balance of alterations" with photoshop or some other program?

A photoshoped image is still a photoshoped image no matter if you superimpose one or twenty images to create the final one.

The EXIF info and the fact that one cannot determine if the pictures were taken during the contest week - Fred did say that all other images (not taken during this time) will be disqualified. I am just trying to point out the loophole and the possible pitfalls of allowing photoshopped images in the competition... or slightly photoshopped images (ie. not taking into account pictures that need color correction, or sharpness, this applies to almost all images out there).

I am just talking out loud trying to understand where that fine line is, if there is one when it comes to photos taken during the competition week - vs - altered images, etc. After all, it is Fred's board and rules, so it is up to him do decide on the playing rules!

Spank you so much for your attention!

Edited on Apr 24, 2008 at 08:31 PM

Apr 24, 2008 at 08:23 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · # 291 Chaconne

This controversy erupts once every six monts or so on this forum. This is the first time I recall my photo being the subject of the debate. I've been posting photos fairly regularly here for several years. When I started posting I knew next to nothing about PS but i learned a lot from all my pals here as well as on my own. This is a forum for learning photographic skills. As far as I am concerned, part of digital photographic skill is learning to use Photoshop, just as in the old days one would have had to learn to do things in a darkroom. I urge you to take a look at the website of the famous photographer Melvin Sokolsky. He did incredibly beautiful and amazing photo work that today would be done in Photoshop but in those days (50's and 60's) he did them in a darkroom. http://www.sokolsky.com/main.php Would this same controversy have erupted over his work, then? I doubt it. Why? Because, I believe, there exists some sort of elitist undercurrent that many aren't even aware of that says digital artwork created in Photoshop is somehow inferior to old-fashioned darkroom artwork. Ansel Adams photos - straight out of the camera - were probably very pretty but still not works of art. He spent hours and hours in the darkroom tweaking his photos to get the results he wanted. Nowadays, if one shoots in RAW format the original file can be fairly close to what an old-fashioned photographer got raw on film. The artistry comes in knowing what to do with that raw capture. The moment you reduce noise, crop, or add sharpening, you are altering the image. After that, it is only a matter of degree. But, I have to reiterate that I believe that skill with Photoshop is as important as being able to capture something with the original click of the shutter. I try to improve my skills at doing both all the time. Please take a look at my web gallery to see more of my work. http://www.endresphotos.com

Ove the years i have been shooting photos for the WA most of my shots have been straight ahead shots. But, my goal in submitting to this forum is to create something that is more than just a photo but is a work of artl. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes not. Sometimes (as was the case with this photo) the topic inspires me to go beyond the mere shooting of a photo and use the opportunity to create something different. Since "Distorted" suggested cubism to me, I tried my hand at it. It seems people liked it. I may do more along those same lines. But it was the push of this forum and that topic that got me there.

After posting to this forum for so long, I enjoy the challenge of the assignments so I like to obey the rules. Every one of my entries is done within the time frame specified. As it happens, I entered one of my original shots into the MA for which the topic is "Curves". You can go check the EXIF over there if you like. Perhaps you might even enjoy seeing the original shot. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/639516 I've also attached one of the other shots I used to create my cubist construction. I was very pleased with the way they turned out just as photographs and I'll be keeping them as documens of my Strad.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Steve, for your kind words on my behalf.

All the best,

Endre

Apr 25, 2008 at 01:25 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · # 291 Chaconne

Well, this picture made it to the finalists so obviously Fred thinks it's O.K. to have such a degree of PS.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 25, 2008 at 04:31 PM
Benedictine
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · # 291 Chaconne

I have not entered this discussion on the use of PS but having read Endreís explanation I feel that I need to ask just how many of the finalists this week did NOT use PS or similar? My guess is that all of them did and most used it for more than just minor adjustments.

For me Stradís work, including this image, is not just beautiful but it has a quality that goes beyond a visual perception of the world but enters into the deeper meaning of life, that skill/insight of the photographer enables the viewer of the image in turn to, perhaps, see something more than he/she did before seeing the picture. In other words I find that Endre is one of those photographers, (of which there are others on this forum) who through their photography speak to me on a deeper level than the visual sense alone. I have no hesitation in saying that for me this can be, and often is, a spiritual experience. For that I am grateful.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.