New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              14       15       end

Archive 2007 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Just got off with Canon and they will be issuing a recall on effected cameras. They do not have the part but I would call in and get on the list. They will call when they have the parts in for the repair! They said they will call and then send a label for shipping on this. 1-800-828-4040 and follow the prompts. Tell them you have the M3 with the focus issue and heard there is a hardware fix you want to get in on.

Oct 17, 2007 at 05:47 PM
BuLLets
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Really? Any idea when the fix was in on new production models? What the cut off date is?

Edited by BuLLets on Oct 21, 2007 at 07:56 AM GMT

Oct 17, 2007 at 05:52 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

They did not have that, when I told him scuttle was there was a hardware fix he had to go confirm. So I don't think they know when the SN# cutoff would be.

Oct 17, 2007 at 05:55 PM
Sam Bennett
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Any idea if it's a design flaw (presumably effecting everyone) or a production flaw (presumably effecting a smaller number of people). I can't honestly say I've noticed the issue with my camera, but I don't use long teles with AI Servo, so I've been hesitant to jump to conclusions about it.

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:23 PM
Adam Radford

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Sam Bennett wrote:
Any idea if it's a design flaw (presumably effecting everyone) or a production flaw (presumably effecting a smaller number of people). I can't honestly say I've noticed the issue with my camera, but I don't use long teles with AI Servo, so I've been hesitant to jump to conclusions about it.

well why not get it fixed either way?

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:26 PM
Sam Bennett
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Adam Radford wrote:

Why waste Canon's time and delay someone who has a legitimate problem from getting it fixed in a timely manner?

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:31 PM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

The word is that it is the submirror assembly that needs to be replaced,. a true hardware fix.

As of now I have only seen posts on forums, not called in myself, so can;t confirm validity of the reported cause.

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:32 PM
Valerie S
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

I knew this would happen:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/579781/5#5073572

Just as I predicted, I ordered a 40D this morning to tide me over until an announcement was made. You folks owe me one

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:32 PM
EMC 2
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Good girl Val'

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:36 PM
meridian
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Adam Radford wrote:

I think Sam is referring to two different types of problems. A production flaw would be a result of a defect in the manufacturing process ("production"). Such a defect could have existed for some units and then been fixed (known or unknown fix) such that later units are not affected. A design flaw would be unaffected by the manufacturing process (e.g., manufacturing flaws) as the root cause of the problem is an "unintended feature" (i.e., bug) in the design. All units would be affected by a design flaw. One would hope that discovery of a design flaw would result in a halt to production until the flaw was fixed, and changes to the production processes before resuming.

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:36 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

I hope it all pans out and this solves the problem.

I too bought a 40D to hold me over before adding another mKIII to my bag. I would have liked to have bought another one by now but not until the fix was in.

Jim

Oct 17, 2007 at 06:58 PM
72chevelle454
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Jim Victory wrote:
I hope it all pans out and this solves the problem.

I too bought a 40D to hold me over before adding another mKIII to my bag. I would have liked to have bought another one by now but not until the fix was in.

Jim

Jim do you find the 40d capable of focusing as well as the MIII, we tried one along side our MIII's and it did not seem to do much better, I understand that it is a much lower end camera. I was just curious as to your experience with it. Mainly in AI-Servo only.

Thanks

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:03 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Valerie S wrote:
I knew this would happen:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/579781/5#5073572

Just as I predicted, I ordered a 40D this morning to tide me over until an announcement was made. You folks owe me one

So Valerie....what do you think about the 3rd horse in the second race at Santa Anita?

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:06 PM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

:lol:

thanks for solving this for us Valerie!

FYI I just got off the Phone With Canon USA and this is the real deal.

My Own Mark III which was in service in August did not receive this new fix, so I too am on the list.
So thanks to all the nay sayers that told us we did not know how to use our cameras,. that was some very helpfull input!

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:10 PM
John Ferguson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Just got off the phone. The service rep said there was not a "recall" but they would notify me when it was time to send the camera. He said they would evaluate my camera and "if" there was a problem they would repair it. He took my serial number and description of problem. They may not all be on the same page yet but let's hope this puts any problem to rest.

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:14 PM
madmax200
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

The fat lady aint sung yet!

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:14 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

What they told me it sounds like it was all the cameras before X and those after are ok.

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:26 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

They will probably wait to drop the price until after I order mine.

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:27 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

John Ferguson wrote:
Just got off the phone. The service rep said there was not a "recall" but they would notify me when it was time to send the camera. He said they would evaluate my camera and "if" there was a problem they would repair it. He took my serial number and description of problem. They may not all be on the same page yet but let's hope this puts any problem to rest.

I called also and that sounds exactly like what I was told also. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:27 PM
patconva

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1D Mark3 Fix is in!

Great scoop folks ...nothing on RG's website about this.

Now, I can't decide if I want mine to be before or after the X number. After the X number and I'll have to take the blame for the OOF shots.

Oct 17, 2007 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.