Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #209: checkmate

my entry for week #209: checkmate

Jun 21, 2006 at 03:57 PM
RGS65
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #209: checkmate

Chuck, this shot has a very nice quality to it. I like the tones.
Good luck.

Jun 22, 2006 at 08:19 AM
Ronny77
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #209: checkmate

How did you get the scratched out effect?

Jun 22, 2006 at 02:53 PM
chucksinnc
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #209: checkmate

Thanks Robert. This one is just natural window light that was really just so beautiful, I couldn't help but make this image after finishing my iced tea.

Ronny, the scratch out effect is made by using some "scratch brushes" I downloaded off of the Adobe website. It's been over a year, so I'm not sure how to find them other than to go there and do a search for "scratch brushes". After you have them, it's pretty simple. You create a separate layer, choose a color for the brush and then pretty much stamp that brush onto the layer. In the case of this image, I used white and then changed the layer blend mode to "soft light" to give it a more realistic blended effect.

Jun 22, 2006 at 03:19 PM
macpine
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #209: checkmate

Very interesting take on color and glass by having the color completely seperate. The most important thing about using an effect well is to use it when it is appropriate and you are perfectly "on the mark". Looks like you finished your ice tea about sixty years ago.

Ann

Jun 23, 2006 at 05:05 PM
chucksinnc
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #209: checkmate

Thanks Ann,

I hesitated and almost posted this image without the effect, but it just wasn't the image I was happy with, so I changed it to this version. I realize that images like this are automatically discounted by many purists, but I find - as you have stated - if it is done well, it can really make an entirely new statement. It is definitely a fine balance between being effective and being a distraction. And I would guess that on an image like this, it would be easy to find opinions on either side. But at the end of the day, it's my image and this is how I felt to create it.

Chuck

Jun 24, 2006 at 09:20 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #209: checkmate

Nice. I like the scrathced surface effect too.
Christian

Jun 25, 2006 at 02:56 PM
gvarma
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #209: checkmate

Fits your series of aged images. Good PP

Jun 28, 2006 at 03:21 PM
hjones
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #209: checkmate

very interesting. Like a montage - a view of the real world and simultaneously, the tracks left behind by subatomic particles in a cloud chamber.

Jun 28, 2006 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.