p.2 #1 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?
I have both the EF 70-200 f2.8 and the RF 70-200 f4. The RF is just so light and compact I find myself reaching for that over the EF f2.8 for everything except indoor sports.
p.2 #2 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?
EB331 wrote:
Here are a few from the indoor meets. Seeing these stats I’m shocked I got pics that I liked. When zooming they’re all soft. With the indoor meets getting close is either tough or impossible.
As far as uploading pics. Is the only option “pay to play”?
The EF 70-200/2.8L IS v1 was cutting edge in the early 2000s considering it had IS in a very popular focal length range. But fast forward 10+ years and optically it was starting to show its age at 200mm. The v2 and v3 lenses are sharper at the long end wide open with better contrast. The RF lenses take this up another notch, especially the Z version. But that is $$$$ I just picked up the Z recently and it dispels any lingering concerns about use of a teleconverter AND shooting it wide open at crazy high ISOs. It's still sharp (if you can keep the shutter speed high enough) and excellent contrast. The EF zooms I'd use with the second or third version 1.4x TC but not the 2x.
The used 300/2.8 option is an interesting one because it will definitely give you a wide open look you can't get with a shorter f/2.8 or slower lens. The tradeoff with it being a prime is that you have to position yourself to get your subject in the sweet spot range - basically you probably want a full length shot without it being too loose or too tight. With a zoom you have more compositional flexibility based on wherever you decide to position yourself. But a tradeoff is the images might have slightly less of that 'wow' factor. While the EF 100-400/4.5-5.6 v2 would be a versatile option for outdoor use, you may struggle to use it indoors if it replaced the 70-200. It sounds like for indoor you kind of do want/need f/2.8 and for outdoor you could add a 1.4x TC for a bit more reach. If you stick with EF, you could pick up a 135/2L for pretty cheap as another option for a bit more background blur if 135 will be long enough. It also works well with the 1.4x TC. However, as an old EF release (1997 IIRC), it will reduce the camera's EFCS and full mechanical frame rates by quite a lot. It's the primary reason I sold me as it was so much different from the newer adapted EF lenses that it really bothered me how sluggish it made the camera feel. Another possibly interesting EF lens is the 85/1.4L IS. Its focus will be fast enough to keep up with most action and it's a late EF design and has no frame rate limitations. Otherwise, just for fun and not so much for sports action, there's the EF 85/1.2L (the v2 focuses faster).
The R6 will probably address most of the 6D's low light indoor sports AF shortcomings with much better consistency across a range of applications. And I think it will do that even better with newer glass, whether the latest EF versions or just going RF.