fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?

  
 
Barbara Linkous
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


I've been using Canon cameras all my life, mostly because my dad introduced me to them and I do really love them. Now I've been looking into finally getting a mirrorless camera but the lens market is still a big bother for me. Since I used my dad's old Canons for a long time I've only ever used Canon lenses as well, as there were never any third-party lenses, just like for the newer mirrorless cameras. A friend of mine uses a Sony and often mentions how much of a bargain Tamron lenses are, which has made me doubt if I even want a Canon mirrorless. I've looked into Fuji (only APS-C but lenses aren't terribly expensive) and Sony (never been a big fan of Sony but I hear they're really good nowadays?) as alternatives, but I just really like Canon camera bodies so I'm extremely torn on what to go with.

As for what I use my camera for, exclusively photos. Video never appealed to me so I don't need any good video performance or anything of the sort.

If anyone has ideas, arguments for one or the other or recommendations I would love to hear them!



Oct 06, 2026 at 02:15 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


What Canon lenses do you own? They'll all work (better, in fact) on Canon mirrorless bodies with an adapter. Canon RF lenses cover a large range from cheap and cheerful to beyond excellent with a price to match. I just don't see a need to hop systems unless you know exactly what benefit you'll get from the next system.


Oct 06, 2026 at 02:21 PM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


As has been said so very many times. It's the lenses that tend to be the investment (that lasts). The RF lens tech was a definite move forward in overall performance. So much of it depends on one's individual usage specialty (do you do landscapes? Portraits? Sports? Those questions would be best answered first before you decide. Personally I have preferred and and enjoy the added resolution to work with that my current R5MkII provides me with. Of all the lenses offered and had the chance to work with, I settled on the venerable RF24-105 f4L. It has the BEST overall performance with least compromises for that general shooting scenario. I use it extensively for Portrait and Landscapes and find it provides me a no compromise result. Especially using both DXO and Luminar for my post processing.
The only other lens I have is for long distance compression and birds, the 100-500L a well loved lens and for good reason. This way I have it all wrapped up with just the 2 lenses. No I don't invest in any f2.8 lenses or larger aperture lenses as I don't need them. Even in lower light I have NO issues with my 24-104L. You'll get plenty of advice here with the usual strong opinions. After 30 years at it I have owned Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Canon. I do feel Canon's top choices are remaining overall the best photographic tools.



Oct 06, 2026 at 02:43 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


I've jumped around and used pretty much all the mirrorless brands. I was a Canon DSLR shooter, but adopted mirrorless quickly, moving through Micro 4/3, then Fuji, then to Sony. I shot Sony for 5 years - great cameras, but they never really felt right in my hands. Switched to Canon and fell in love with the ergonomics and the autofocus - left for Nikon for a few years, and eventually just missed the feel of my Canon bodies (and the very good, but not QUITE as good AF on Nikon always bugged me slightly) - and I'm back to Canon. That was an expensive diversion.

All the major camera brands make outstanding cameras. All of them make outstanding lenses. There is more choice in Sony and Nikon (especially since you can adapt Sony on Nikon), but all also have very mature lens lineups at this point, and most bases are covered in all systems, even at multiple price points. And EF glass adapts PERFECTLY to R bodies. You can adapt EF glass to Sony and Nikon too (and these adapters do generally work well, but not quite as seamlessly as they do to a Canon mirrorless body)

My advice: Go to a local photo store if you happen to have one, and handle the cameras. Buy what feels right to you. If, of course, there are lenses that simply don't exist in one mount vs the others, and these are essential for what you shoot, then of course that's also a consideration, but I think ergonomics and operational comfort are easily as important or more important than most of the other considerations these days, especially since everyone makes incredible stuff now.



Oct 06, 2026 at 02:44 PM
kirbic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


As has been stated, Canon, Sony and Nikon cameras all perform incredibly well. Canon ergonomics often get higher grades than Sony (though I'm sure long-time Sony shooters might disagree). EF lenses can be a bargain compared to their RF counterparts, if they serve your needs. Using an adapter for some but not all lenses is a pain, however. Easier if all your lenses are RF, or all EF. If all EF, you just leave the adapter on the camera.
Third party lenses, e.g. Sigma & Tamron intended for EF mount can in fact be used with the adapter on RF and perform admirably. My go-to 50mm is still the Sigma 50/1.4. One benefit of using them on mirrorless is that there is no concern with focus errors, which was a (rather big) thing on DLSRs. I have been *so* happy not to need to calibrate my third-party lenses anymore. They just... work.



Oct 06, 2026 at 02:53 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Dragonfire
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


Are you shooting Canon or Nikon?

Your post:

"What gear are you guys using for everyday shoots?

For me, I’m using the Nikon D750, 24-70 f2.8, UV filter and Godox V1 Mid N"

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1958222/0#17116060

Edited on Oct 06, 2026 at 03:11 PM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2026 at 02:56 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


Dragonfire wrote:
Are you shooting Canon or Nikon?

Your post:

"What gear are you guys using for everyday shoots?

For me, I’m using the Nikon D750, 24-70 f2.8, UV filter and Godox V1 Mid N"


Yeah - also speaks with authority on the Sony Creator's app in another thread.... What's going on, OP?



Oct 06, 2026 at 03:05 PM
Dragonfire
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


Jman13 wrote:
Yeah - also speaks with authority on the Sony Creator's app in another thread.... What's going on, OP?


I always enjoy the OP asking a question and never returning to comment on responses. Could be oldtimers

Edited on Oct 06, 2026 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2026 at 03:09 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Should I stick with Canon or jump to another brand?


Canon would be simpler as you can start with adapted EF lenses which work seamlessley.
If not Canon then really look at Nikon. If I did not literally have piles of Canon gear and some Sony, I'd be more inclined to start all over with Nikon.

EBH



Oct 06, 2026 at 03:14 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account