fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  
How do you use manual lenses?
For everything.
I don't.
They're specialty lenses for me that come out for specific uses or when I'm in the mood.
You expect me to manually focus? What am I? Some kind of peasant?
Allow me to explain in detail below...

How do you use manual lenses?

  
 
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How do you use manual lenses?


I know this topic of discussion comes up with some regularity, but it's been a few years and the market's changed. Some of the most reliable manufacturers are now concentrating entirely on AF lenses and the number of options have grown significantly. Are you still using manual lens? For?


Oct 05, 2026 at 12:16 AM
Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · How do you use manual lenses?


I use some MF lenses, less so since a switch to Sony from Nikon but usually have 1 in my bag

Can't really express why, rarely get pictures I am happy with, modern AF options outperform them on almost every level and I dont use them often enough to master focusing (which is much harder on Sony)

And despite all of this, its still one of the most enjoyable aspects of photography for me



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:34 AM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · How do you use manual lenses?


The only manual focus lenses for FF/FX would be tilt-shift. I used a few adapted lenses in the low-res digital era (prior to 2008) but that's all over with. Everything else I use has AF since the 21st century.
With high-res cameras I want AF and focus bracketing. Of course AF lenses have MF also if needed.

EBH



Oct 05, 2026 at 01:25 AM
hasenbein
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · How do you use manual lenses?


My manual focus lens phase was from fall 2018 into 2022. It was great fun back then to explore the world of vintage lenses, and I got some really nice images. Learnt much about focusing and image sharpness.

But the E-mount lens lineup evolved mightily, and one after another I got the lenses which did the job much better and more easily. Today the remaining manual lenses just wait to be sold.



Oct 05, 2026 at 02:22 AM
twelveish
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · How do you use manual lenses?


For everything, except when I don't. I guess the logic is flipped for me, compared to much of what I see/read/hear from others. Manual focus is my default, and I only go to AF when I have a specific need for it. I shoot a lot of events, for example, and for most of those I use AF lenses.

But I prefer MF for many reasons; more control, better precision, better haptics/feel, generally more compact, lets me feel more involved, slows me down in a good way, and there just aren't as many choices in AF lenses that interest me optically/IQ wise.



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:01 AM
matoqui
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · How do you use manual lenses?


I like the MF experience. I use Leica-mount Voigtlanders with my Nikon and Fuji cameras because of their good IQ, small size, large max aperture and relatively low weight. But I also have AF lenses.

Edited on Oct 05, 2026 at 06:46 AM · View previous versions



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:06 AM
Juha Kannisto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · How do you use manual lenses?


I also shoot with manual focus most of the time since my photography is purely a hobby activity and I enjoy the manual focusing process more, and specifically with proper mechnically coupled manual focus lenses. Most of my manual focus shooting is with still subjects, or at least not fast moving subjects. It feels more engaging and enjoyable to shoot manually.

I use many Voigtländer, MS-Optics, Kistar and other brand manual focus lenses, both native E-mount and adapted. I have a lot of lenses (must be around 100) where most of them are manual focus lenses and around 10-20 are AF lenses. I go out with just one camera + one lens most of the time, and on the next outing it's usually another lens.

When I occasionally shoot fast paced events (also hobby activity) I usually go with some of my AF lenses instead. That's just a small part of my overall activity though.



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:31 AM
chez
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · How do you use manual lenses?


Manual focus lenses for landscapes off a tripod for precise focus. AF lenses for everything else.


Oct 05, 2026 at 07:51 AM
RacingManiac
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · How do you use manual lenses?


I still use MF lens a decent bit. Depends on what camera and what lens it can be an interesting experiences. With "modern" MF lens like the E-Mount CV lenses at least it is fully recognized by the camera and the camera goes into MF focus assist automatically and confirming focus is easy, using tools like zebra also helps. With adapted old lenses(or lens with no electronic contacts) its trickier and you need to assign a button to do the MF assist. But once you get a workflow its not really a hinderance until you try to shooting moving subject I guess...lol

My favorite 28, 35 and 50 I owned are all MF. Compact size and bright is the advantage over their AF counterpart...



Oct 05, 2026 at 07:57 AM
Bruce Marriner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · How do you use manual lenses?


twelveish wrote:
For everything, except when I don't. I guess the logic is flipped for me, compared to much of what I see/read/hear from others. Manual focus is my default, and I only go to AF when I have a specific need for it. I shoot a lot of events, for example, and for most of those I use AF lenses.

But I prefer MF for many reasons; more control, better precision, better haptics/feel, generally more compact, lets me feel more involved, slows me down in a good way, and there just aren't as many choices in AF lenses that interest me
...Show more →

That's pretty much exactly me too My default is manual focus and I grab an AF body when I actually need that for something. The majority of my cameras and lenses are MF only. I also shoot events often, and use AF for that usually, but even there I'm starting to use MF sometimes.

I enjoy the experience of MF, the less hassle with getting the AF to focus on the thing I actually want, and how compact my MF camera setups can be, especially my rangefinders, the amount of really great and unique lenses out there that are MF alone are a reason to go MF.

I went many many years afraid of MF thinking it would be too hard and after a few months of doing it I realized you can get pretty good with it and I'm at the point now were I can even focus on slow moving subjects manually and I assume I'll just continue to get better.



Oct 05, 2026 at 09:34 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

shadow9d9
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · How do you use manual lenses?


My last manual lens, the laowa 8-15 fisheye, is about to be replaced by Sony's af version. Having to focus the lens manually simply gets in the way of fun for me.


Oct 05, 2026 at 09:46 AM
RustyRus
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · How do you use manual lenses?


On Leica Rangefinders-


Oct 05, 2026 at 09:54 AM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · How do you use manual lenses?


Been there, done that. Don’t see a single viable reason to bother with it today with a body capable of AF; and all my bodies are, so all of lenses do as well. There is no single manual lens for full frame 35 good enough it warrants being used over an alternative AF lens.

There may be a few unique look lenses that are only available in manual, and if you’re interested in one of those, I get the need.

I also get that many just enjoy the manually focusing part of the image making process, and I say to them, “Good for you, have fun!”



Oct 05, 2026 at 10:28 AM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · How do you use manual lenses?


I used a few manual lenses via adapter back in the NEX days. Some Canon FD lenses. Some F-mount Nikkors. But haven’t used any since

I do love the mechanical precision of manual lenses. I haven’t tried any, but the Voightlander lenses look to be beautifully made. I might have to try some at one point



Oct 05, 2026 at 10:58 AM
photonoclast
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · How do you use manual lenses?


There is one factor I don't see mentioned much in these AF/MF discussions, which I found to be a very interesting but unexpected benefit as I started to use MF Voigtlander lenses on Sony. When using MF (probably 30% of the time on average) I focus using the auto magnify feature, so I set the region of the frame using the joystick and then focus.
As you rack back and forth deciding **exactly** where your focal point is, you also see other regions of the image go in and out of focus, and you get to see precisely what your depth of field is - how the image sharpness or blur evolves as you go away from the main focal point of the magnified image. More than once, I've changed the f-stop or the position of exact focus based on how I see the magnified image.
I suppose I could do something like that in AF mode, but I never do - I just get a global feel of the DOF in the whole image in the viewfinder, adjust the f-stop accordingly, and then let AF do its thing. AF is perfectly accurate, but I won't really know my *exact* point of focus and the evolution of blur on the subject until I download the image and look on screen.



Oct 05, 2026 at 11:13 AM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · How do you use manual lenses?


For portrait, event and sports, I have used manual focus but prefer AF to get the shot. I'm generally agnostic about manual versus AF, and will usually pick a lens for other qualities. A few special-purpose lenses come in AF only (e.g. Sony 100 STF), or manual-focus only (e.g. Canon TS-E 135/4L, CZ SP100 C/Y bellows macro).


Oct 05, 2026 at 02:22 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · How do you use manual lenses?


I SO wish I had purchased that 135 TSE. It was discontinued too quickly.

EBH



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:18 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · How do you use manual lenses?


97% of what I do uses manual focus lenses, only because the two AF lenses I use for special occasions have no equivalent in MF.

There are many reasons why this is so, ranging across many aspects of the choice. I really (really) dislike AF for all sorts of reasons: process, appearance, usage, industry, history, philosophy, many more. Before I list some of them, did you know that:

'A strong estimate is that well over 95% to 98% of all photographic, scientific, and industrial lenses manufactured by Carl Zeiss over its long history (dating back to the mid-19th century) are manual focus.

Even in the modern digital era (DSLR and mirrorless lines like the Otus, Milvus, Classic, and Loxia series, Zeiss deliberately chose to produce manual-focus-only prime lenses to optimize optical purity and long focus throws.'



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:28 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · How do you use manual lenses?


In point form, with respect to AF lenses:

Made down to a cost schedule – bean counter product lines, large-scale manufacturers, large assembly plants, mass production.

Cheap and nasty manufacture – plastic casings, heavy lens bodies, dimensionally large, relatively large filters a necessity, throw away versioning philosophy - new versions perpetually ‘just around the corner’, unattractive and banal, cheap plastic hoods, implied heavier camera bodies, larger batteries and ancillaries, no material and finish choices, or variants; long-term reliability issues.

Difficult to restore and maintain – full of electronic ribbons and actuators, parts obsolescence built-in.

Present moment ephemeral devices – no connection to the past, short lifespans, update mentality (near future landfill items, built-in obsolescence, poor durability, ephemeral products).

Made in huge volumes – volume-centric manufacture rather than human involvement, consumer culture products, high expense, maker-imposed tier system (the cripple hammer), class consciousness, disposable remote supermarket shelf product, little user attachment.

Computer designed, computer manufactured, overly complex, increase battery dependence, ‘jumpy’ behaviour (no silent racking).

Optical design curtailment – aberration correction in-camera, diminishing sound optical design, image as a ‘computing artifact’ not a lens output.

Increasingly an adjunct to the optical computing device (camera) -which controls lens behaviour (eye focus, aperture, aberration control, control button roles, ‘presets’).

Deskilling – lack of left hand involvement, ‘brain out’ self-focusing, lens as subordinate to the photo device (‘camera’), lack of cerebral engagement, antithesis of artistic engagement, poor intentional manual ‘what if’ exploration of point of focus options (hard to rack manually), horrible FBW implementation, ‘time urgency’ as photography (FPS), mentally unsettling, encourage rapid fire of huge volume of images and image iterations, lack of visual feedback (physical rings, DOF scales), loss of visual skills (distance estimation, content ‘blocking’, previsualization due to induced auto-everything high FPS mentality), camera dependency, induced fear of manual focus lenses among new photographers.

Antithesis of craft – very few old AF primes or zooms, detachment from lens design history, opposite of ‘hands on’ craftsman development and time-honored design protocols, no critical hand-eye-visual cortex invocation necessary for superior craft photography and user involvement, usage is reduced to press button process often conducted without thought, very few AF character lenses, AF lenses have all the appeal of an optical toaster.

Maker-customer communication – boutique lens producers actually answer inquiries, they value their discerning customer base who prefer the better things in life.

Ever cheaper development path – plastics (resin aspheric elements), faster and larger lenses (now zooms too), ever more automated processes throughout, high volumes and profits as the main driver, corporate products – ‘the more AF in lenses, the less of you’ in the imaging process, ring fencing of users (poor cross-mount interoperability).

Massive long-term promotion to convince users of AF lens superiority, high speed capabilities are superfluous and/or intrusive to most artistic photography – portraiture, landscapes, intimate scenes, architecture, inhabited interiors, places of worship, etc.



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:39 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account