fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Companion to A7RIII with more speed

  
 
weezintrumpete
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Companion to A7RIII with more speed


I love pretty much everything about my A7RIII except the shutter response / af speed, specifically the shot to shot time. I take family photos professionally, and I find that when I'm using the RIII I struggle with some of the shot to shot timing, when the kids are doing something I want to capture quickly. I also use the Nikon Z6III and Zf and both of those cameras have what seems like incredible shot to shot time, when I can continually mash the shutter and they just keep up effortlessly.

However, I like the image quality and specifically the color from the RIII, so I'm curious to know whether there is a Sony camera that will do what I need that has similar color and "look" to my RIII. My first thought is the A9 or A9II, and I'd prefer not to spend more than ~$1500 used.

Would an A9 or A9II do what I'm looking for in terms of speed / shot to shot / look / color? Or is there another camera to consider like even a regular A7III? I don't need 42mp, and even ~24mp is just fine.



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:15 AM
TheEmrys
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Companion to A7RIII with more speed


An a9 series would be too much. A7IV or V would fit the bill if 24mp is enough. And those would be 33mp. Plenty of room to crop with. Both are highly responsive and have excellent af. Class leading, really.


Oct 05, 2026 at 06:16 AM
weezintrumpete
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Companion to A7RIII with more speed


TheEmrys wrote:
An a9 series would be too much. A7IV or V would fit the bill if 24mp is enough. And those would be 33mp. Plenty of room to crop with. Both are highly responsive and have excellent af. Class leading, really.


What would be too much about the A9 or A9II? Just overkill?

I was hoping that the A9, being a similar generation to the A7RIII, might have a similar "look" from the sensor, at least in terms of color, which the A7IV and V don't have.



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:02 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Companion to A7RIII with more speed


Sony sensor tech, and white balance metering along with it, changed pretty dramatically after the A7RIII.

If you're a big fan of those colors, you might end up disappointed with the 60+ megapixel options. Then your only other option is the A9 series which sounds like overkill, but the A9 OG sensor doesn't have the same look either.



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:05 PM
jojib
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Companion to A7RIII with more speed


yeah the white balance system of the A7V is different thus you might not like the colours right off the bat. Of course if you shoot RAW you can edit as pleased. How about the A7IV?

A7V white balance (see features)

https://www.sony.ca/en/imaging/interchangeable-lens-cameras/all-interchangeable-lens-cameras/p/ilce7m5-b?srsltid=AU7gw4VH9xRyznBYPx04t7sqEJfJ0xYvvFQi1363Hm2KW-Lcgr8E_NTw



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:21 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account