fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Fringer EF -> Z worth it or just grab an R5?

  
 
lukeiam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fringer EF -> Z worth it or just grab an R5?


I have been very dismayed by the Z lenses and mostly adapting Sony glass, particularly the ART lenses. I much prefer the Z profiles in C1, general color, system, haptics, etc etc, so I don't shoot Sony, but I did come into a lot of EF primes, and I loved those in my Canon (pre-Nikon) days. That said, I'm considering adapting these to my Z body or possibly giving the R5 a shot...after all, that body and the Canon sensor has caught up to Nikon so why not.

It would be easier to try the Fringer. One thing that really irked me with the FX glass adapted to the Z body is the ridiculous adapter...obviously the mount is much different so that's no way around it ( physics!), but it seems like a very different balance than the EF to the R bodies...and that adapter appears much smaller/cheaper.

Anyway, I know, first-world problems here! But I am eager to try some new glass, and as I'm getting more and more professional work in studio settings, I really prefer the, dare I say, "softer" lenses of yesteryear. Eg, the 50 1.8S lens is amazing! For people? No...I don't think so at all. It's much too sharp. And bokeh is strange, and a little structured across the whole frame.

Thanka!



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:43 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Fringer EF -> Z worth it or just grab an R5?


I have the Fringer and overall it works quite well. Newer lenses work very well, especially in good light. Some slower lenses in dim light can hunt, but overall it’s rather good.

If you plan on only shooting Canon lenses, though, it’d make more sense to have a Canon body.



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:50 PM
Picture This!
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Fringer EF -> Z worth it or just grab an R5?


If you just want to shoot ef lenses i would get a canon body.

The fringer adapter works quite well. The advantage of the z body is that it opens up a huge ecosystem of ef, e mount, f mount and z mount lenses.



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:58 PM
dalegaspi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Fringer EF -> Z worth it or just grab an R5?


I use the Fringer (I have v1 and v2 which are essentially the same.. v2 has weather sealing) with Canon glass that has that particular drawing (the 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4 version 1) and using the excellent TS-E 17/24/50/90 lenses on the Z bodies. of all the EF adapters that I use, this is the most solid and reliable, well worth the high cost IMO.


Oct 04, 2026 at 06:04 PM







FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account