I checked the forum and could not find what I was looking for so I would like to get the views of fellow forum members on saving RAW files. We have three choices, uncompressed, lossless compressed and compressed. Which of the three is the suggested one? TIA
Lossless compressed for highest quality without excess storage space.
Uncompressed for highest quality if you are using software that doesn’t support lossless compressed - this is becoming increasingly rare as even Apple supports lossless compressed these days.
Compressed for greatest space savings but some loss - albeit small - of image quality.
Dumb question.. but if a raw converter software company, creates its own support for various raw file formats. And the actual camera manufacturer also does the same with its likely own raw converting software. Why is there such a thing in the first place as non-compressed raw, if all along it could have been compressed and lossless?
Snoopdog: "Dumb question.. but if a raw converter software company, creates its own support for various raw file formats. And the actual camera manufacturer also does the same with its likely own raw converting software. Why is there such a thing in the first place as non-compressed raw, if all along it could have been compressed and lossless?"
I don't think your question is dumb at all, but a good question. It will be interesting to see what forum members say.