p.2 #1 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
duncangr wrote:
Have you selected all the filters in the left sidebar - if you select the top level in each section it should show all the files in the browser. If there is nothing showing under each of the top level filters that usually means the file import wasn't successful.
DM me directly and I can help you get it working.
Now I got it to work, done some test and the result look promising.
* The apps fullsize window gets bigger than my screen is (is fullscreen of the app fixed at 4k?)
* The slider for white balans is very sensitive, the range is too big 2 000 - 50 000 ( should be more like 2 000 - 10 000).
p.2 #2 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
biggles2002 wrote:
Now I got it to work, done some test and the result look promising.
* The apps fullsize window gets bigger than my screen is (is fullscreen of the app fixed at 4k?)
* The slider for white balans is very sensitive, the range is too big 2 000 - 50 000 ( should be more like 2 000 - 10 000).
Yes, apologies in advance over the state of the UI - I wasn't sure it was worth fixing until this latest version of Apple's RAW decoder.
That range is the range provided by the Apple documentation but it doesn't seem that useful at 50,000 ??
I am doing a big cleanup of things so it is a bit more user friendly and will release a new version later today with a video(tomorrow) showing how to use it.
The latest version should have a link to a very basic Help page in the Help menu.
p.2 #3 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
EB-1 wrote:
Maybe I'm not understading. You are building a front end for the native Apple ARW converter?
My main question is really because of trhe a7rVI and if NR with the problematic 12-bit files looks different from the 14-bit files.
EBH
It's an alternative to other RAW demosaicing and denoising options that are available - at this stage it is primarily experimental to see how good the new Apple RAW decoder is.
The app has a bunch of other features that I use it for e.g. cropping around a point on a sequence of images, categorising, etc.
I have not compared the NR with 12 bit and 14 bit files, you would have to test that out yourself or send me a link to one or two sample files of your and I can process them for you.
p.2 #5 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
The issue with the lack of support for 12-bit RAW files goes beyond just processing them.
Sony’s ARW files contain an embedded JPEG with a resolution of 1616x1080.
If you have a 4K monitor, it is very difficult to judge the image quality or determine whether a photo is a keeper or not.
With 14-bit files, you could at least assess this in software that supports the RAW format.
However, the lack of support for 12-bit RAW files creates a problem.
As long as there is no support for these 12-bit RAW files in DxO PhotoLab, PureRAW, or Capture One,
I have to use the Adobe DNG Converter.
I change one specific setting: the embedded JPEG size to "full size."
This makes it easier for me to evaluate quality and other details on a 4K monitor.
However, this is not an optimal approach, as the conversion makes impact on quality —especially with high-ISO photos.
p.2 #6 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
austinlau wrote:
What are the differences between the Apple RAW 9 on the left and Apple RAW 9 on the right?
Slightly different raw adjustment settings - I can't recall exactly - bear in mind DXO PL10 is using a preset with quite a few built in default automatic adjustments while the two Apple raw decoded images are using only the basic RAW adjustments available with the Apple decoder.
p.2 #8 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
Sorry in advance if I missed this, if it has already been discussed: some raw converters allow you to make a "linear" conversion from a raw file. I am most interested in the linear conversions, which do not apply "additional" curves to enhance contrast, saturation, etc. I prefer to use a linear conversion process and perform most adjustments later, in an editor that supports layers.
I first use DxO to make a DNG that has been denoised. Then I edit that DNG in Adobe Camera Raw to make a linear Photoshop file. Then I edit that.
Is there anything analogous in the workflow with this tool ?
p.2 #9 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
Is this your app or one from Apple? If the former, then the thread title is misleading.
There is clearly room for improvement in denoising, as the options were stagnant for years. The Phocus app from Hasselblad is pretty incredible (and works on DNG files…shhh)
p.2 #10 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
Grenache wrote:
Is this your app or one from Apple? If the former, then the thread title is misleading.
There is clearly room for improvement in denoising, as the options were stagnant for years. The Phocus app from Hasselblad is pretty incredible (and works on DNG files…shhh)
Jim
It's my app but the RAW decoder is provided as part of macOS so anyone could use it to develop their own app. All my app provides is the scaffolding that allows the user to process raw files and make the adjustments using the Apple provided RAW decoder.
The title is not referring to my app but to the RAW demosaicing and denoising engine that is being provided by Apple to software developers. There is nothing stopping DxO or Adobe from using the Apple decoder provided with macOS in their own apps - obviously it wouldn't be available in the Windows versions of their apps.
p.2 #12 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW
Kenneth Lee wrote:
Sorry in advance if I missed this, if it has already been discussed: some raw converters allow you to make a "linear" conversion from a raw file. I am most interested in the linear conversions, which do not apply "additional" curves to enhance contrast, saturation, etc. I prefer to use a linear conversion process and perform most adjustments later, in an editor that supports layers.
I first use DxO to make a DNG that has been denoised. Then I edit that DNG in Adobe Camera Raw to make a linear Photoshop file. Then I edit that.
Is there anything analogous in the workflow with this tool ? ...Show more →
Export to PNG using a linear colour space with high precision - currently the app doesn't do that it just defaults to sRGB/RGBA16 but I can add an option to export using a linear space for tiff, png and heif - I think PNG supports high precision and would have to check the other two. Pretty sure TIFF would.
It would only take 5 minutes to add extendedLinearSRGB/RGBAh (half float format) as an option. Curious myself as to whether this would work - perhaps some graphics processing expert can chip in. Let me know if there is some specific linear colour space/format Photoshop requires.
EDIT: forgot to mention that by default Apple uses a linear colour space internally to avoid math errors during processing and the resultant clipping.