fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

  

Monarch Butterflies

  
 
morris
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Monarch Butterflies


I've been visiting the Lido Beach Preserve for the Monarch Butterfly migration for years. I visited on September 30 and as soon as I stepped out of the car I smiled as I spotted a Butterfly Bush about 50 feet away that had many Monarchs on and around it. I mounted my old Canon 200mm f2.8 L with a Fringer Adapter on my Fuji X-H2s and went to work. I love the way the old 200mm renders backgrounds. I quickly noticed it was not behaving properly with a sticky aperture and sometimes hesitating to focus. I used it for about an hour and then decided it was time to swap it for my Fuji 90mm f2 as I know it would nail focus and operate properly. I prefer 200mm for butterflies as I can stay back further not disturb them. Fortunately they had become accustomed to me and was able to keep shooting yet needing to crop more in post. The 90mm also has great rendering yet a more modern look. You will see images taken with both lenses in this post.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris





1)

  X-H2S    Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  







2)

  X-H2S    Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/1400s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  







3)

  X-H2S    Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/1500s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  







4)

  X-H2S    Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/1700s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  







5)

  X-H2S    Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/2200s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  







6)

  X-H2S    XF90mmF2 R LM WR lens    90mm    f/4.0    1/680s    400 ISO    +1.7 EV  







7)

  X-H2S    XF90mmF2 R LM WR lens    90mm    f/4.0    1/500s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  







8)

  X-H2S    XF90mmF2 R LM WR lens    90mm    f/2.0    1/2900s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Oct 03, 2026 at 06:46 AM
johnohio
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Monarch Butterflies


Jackpot !! Beautiful Morris !

John



Oct 03, 2026 at 06:57 AM
Erictator
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Monarch Butterflies


Sweet set of Monarchs Morris!!!

I find I like tele's for flutterbys also. In some ways I prefer the look of older glass on monarchs, the modern stuff is so contrasty that the blacks go so black in bright sun by the time you save the highlights it makes getting detail in the blacks a new chore. Lifting the shadows is doable when you have enough DR but then you have to be very selective via masking to not wash out the rest. My 70-200 2.8 GMII is guilty of this... but I still like it for the exact reason you mention, it focuses blindingly fast and accurately, so I still use it for this kinda stuff and just deal with the processing. Fun stuff!

Eric



Oct 03, 2026 at 07:21 AM
G.E. Smith
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Monarch Butterflies


Fantastic Morris !

Greg



Oct 03, 2026 at 08:03 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

LostLensCap
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Monarch Butterflies


Morris, #2 has it all for me. Thanks for sharing


Oct 03, 2026 at 08:49 AM
vibgyor
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Monarch Butterflies


Beautiful Pictures; #1 is my favourite.


Oct 03, 2026 at 09:20 AM
Ed Porter
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Monarch Butterflies


Excellent set, Morris!! They're all great! Lovely colors!


Oct 03, 2026 at 01:27 PM
morris
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Monarch Butterflies


johnohio wrote:
Jackpot !! Beautiful Morris !

John


Thank you John,

Ya, this place is wonderful for photographing Monarchs

---------------------------------------------

Erictator wrote:
Sweet set of Monarchs Morris!!!

I find I like tele's for flutterbys also. In some ways I prefer the look of older glass on monarchs, the modern stuff is so contrasty that the blacks go so black in bright sun by the time you save the highlights it makes getting detail in the blacks a new chore. Lifting the shadows is doable when you have enough DR but then you have to be very selective via masking to not wash out the rest. My 70-200 2.8 GMII is guilty of this... but I still like it for the exact reason you
...Show more →

Thank you Eric,
We are back on the road this time up state NY for some fall color and some of the bird migration. I mechanically exercised the old lens yesterday yet did not have time to test it to decide on next steps.

---------------------------------------------

G.E. Smith wrote:
Fantastic Morris !

Greg


Thank you Greg

---------------------------------------------

LostLensCap wrote:
Morris, #2 has it all for me. Thanks for sharing


Thank you Tom,
The second shows off the rendering of the old lens and I had a great moment to take advantage of

---------------------------------------------

vibgyor wrote:
Beautiful Pictures; #1 is my favourite.


Thank you,
I felt the first is a great lead in to the set

---------------------------------------------

Ed Porter wrote:
Excellent set, Morris!! They're all great! Lovely colors!


Thank you Ed

Morris



Oct 04, 2026 at 03:11 PM







FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account