fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

What setup are you guys running right now?

  
 
Barbara Linkous
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What setup are you guys running right now?


What gear are you guys using for everyday shoots?

For me, I’m using the Nikon D750, 24-70 f2.8, UV filter and Godox V1 Mid N



Sep 30, 2026 at 12:43 PM
grantgoodes
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What setup are you guys running right now?


I'm using a Df, 28/1.4D with HN-9 hood and UV filter, plus (occasionally) the tiny SB-400 flash. A DK-17M (magnifying eyepiece), DK-19 (eyecup), AR-11 soft-release, and after-market half-case live permanently on my Df.


Sep 30, 2026 at 12:58 PM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · What setup are you guys running right now?


My standard rig is a Z8 and either a 24-120 f4 S or Tamron 35-150 f2-2.8. For events and weddings I’ll add a Godox V100 with the dome attachment, and a Z6iii with either a 14-30 f4 or a 50 1.8 depending on which zoom I have on the Z8. For studio work I use a couple Profoto D2 500s and B10s, with a couple strips, a 2 ft Westcott collapsible beauty dish, and a 4 ft Profoto octa with a grid, a couple medium umbrellas, and a 7 ft umbrella with diffusion socks. If it’s just photos for myself, lately I’ll just bring the Z6iii and a zoom


Sep 30, 2026 at 01:04 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · What setup are you guys running right now?


Daily driver is the Zf with a 40mm Voigtlander if I want MF, or the Viltrox 55 EVO if I want AF. I'll usually run a CPL as I like to shoot JPEG on the Zf and it helps keep more saturation and contrast in the JPEGs.

Z9 comes out for more mission-built purposes.

If I don't know what the day will bring, the 24-120 comes with me on either body.



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:17 PM
Barbara Linkous
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · What setup are you guys running right now?


grantgoodes wrote:
I'm using a Df, 28/1.4D with HN-9 hood and UV filter, plus (occasionally) the tiny SB-400 flash. A DK-17M (magnifying eyepiece), DK-19 (eyecup), AR-11 soft-release, and after-market half-case live permanently on my Df.


That’s a seriously dialed-in Df setup. I’m curious about the 28/1.4D though — are you running it mainly for the rendering/character, or do you actually prefer 28mm as your everyday focal length? And how much difference do you find the DK-17M makes in real-world shooting?



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:53 PM
Barbara Linkous
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · What setup are you guys running right now?


RoamingScott wrote:
Daily driver is the Zf with a 40mm Voigtlander if I want MF, or the Viltrox 55 EVO if I want AF. I'll usually run a CPL as I like to shoot JPEG on the Zf and it helps keep more saturation and contrast in the JPEGs.

Z9 comes out for more mission-built purposes.

If I don't know what the day will bring, the 24-120 comes with me on either body.


That’s a killer setup. Zf + 40 Voigtländer is 👌



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:55 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

SteveCl55
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · What setup are you guys running right now?


Zf with Voigtlander apo 28mm. Next lens will be the 24-120mm.


Oct 01, 2026 at 03:01 AM
grantgoodes
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · What setup are you guys running right now?


Barbara Linkous wrote:
That’s a seriously dialed-in Df setup. I’m curious about the 28/1.4D though — are you running it mainly for the rendering/character, or do you actually prefer 28mm as your everyday focal length? And how much difference do you find the DK-17M makes in real-world shooting?


I have a love of a fast wide-angle as my everyday, one lens setup (I shot with the Nikkor 24/2 AiS for many years). When I moved to digital/AF, I lucked into a good deal on the 28/1.4D, and found that it suited me better than the 24/2.8D which I also own. The 28/1.4D does have great rendering, and is usable even wide-open. My old 24/2 wide-open gave "interesting" results (swirly bokeh, soft corners), and the 28/1.4D is markedly superiour. As far as focal length, 28mm vs. 24mm isn't the biggest difference, and I've just adapted to 28mm now. Also, 28mm is a bit more portrait friendly, so that's a plus as well.

The DK-17M is a high quality accessory and IMO a huge improvement in the viewing experience: Its a shame they're so hard to find (I had to get mine from a camera store in Paris). You can still (just) see the whole viewfinder image, and I find it helps me nail focus with my MF lenses. I do have a split-image focus-screen which I have yet to install, and that should further help with my MF lenses.



Oct 01, 2026 at 08:41 AM
deadwolfbones
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · What setup are you guys running right now?


RoamingScott wrote:
Daily driver is the Zf with a 40mm Voigtlander if I want MF, or the Viltrox 55 EVO if I want AF. I'll usually run a CPL as I like to shoot JPEG on the Zf and it helps keep more saturation and contrast in the JPEGs.

If I don't know what the day will bring, the 24-120 comes with me on either body.


More or less similar for me. I tend to also bring the 28/1.5 Nokton in addition to the 40, and also the 50/1.8 S.



Oct 01, 2026 at 10:50 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · What setup are you guys running right now?


Well, it depends upon what day of the “Everyday” it is. Welcome to the forum!

Which 24-70/2.8 do you have? I/We have the 24-70/2.8G ED. Pre-VR. Lovely lens!

If “Everyday” were to happen, today, at this moment, I would probably pick up my Nikon ZR as I move toward the front door. There is an FTZ adapter on it, at the moment, with my AF-S 58mm f/1.4G affixed. I would probably bring my AF-S 35mm f/1.4G along, too. No UV filters, because nothing needs to be protected from UV radiation.

I have managed to hide my only FX-frame Z lens from myself, the 26mm “pancake.” I added my ZR only last month. My budget needs to recover, before I start buying more Z lenses. Maybe mid or late 2027.

Alternately, especially if my wife wants to drive toward the coast or bays, I might opt for a D5 camera. There is a Voigtlander 40mm f/2 “pancake” lens, on my D5, at the moment. While it may seem counterintuitive to mount a tiny manual-focus lens on a huge D5, the amazing AF system of the D5 helps with manual focusing, too. Plus, a tiny lens on a big camera will tend to start conversations. “Breaks the ice.” Nice!

I might bring another lens, too, depending upon whether my wife brings a long lens. She and I share a number of nice Nikon lenses. She was using Nikon DSLRs while on the job, long before I finally decided to try serious photography, with interchangeable-lens cameras. It was while handling her employer’s Nikon D300s, in 2009, that something “clicked.” No pun intended. So, yes, my wife is the more-senior photographer. She currently has Nikon D500, D850, and Z6 interchangeable-lens cameras, plus P1000 and P950 Coolpix cameras, for special purpose long-range shooting, when light weight is more important than fast AF or high-resolution image files. (The P1000 and P950 seem to large to be called “point and shoot” cameras, especially with their slow AF.)

My default Nikon flashes are the SB-500 and Nikon SB-910. My wife likes the smaller, lighter SB-300/SB-400, unless we need bigger flashes. Then, we have a second SB-910, plus several older Speedlights.

Not “Everyday,” but could happen almost any day: Serious macro, such as for our “citizen scientist” photography, means using my Canon equipment, a kit that I put together while I had the added duty of forensic/evidentiary/crime scene photography, during the final seven years of my career in public service. The Canon 100mm “Macro L” lens can shoot “action macro.”




Oct 01, 2026 at 12:37 PM
theopwildebeest
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · What setup are you guys running right now?


Nikon Zf with the Voigtländer 50mm f/2 APO. About 10% of the time I’ll switch to the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.0 Nokton.


Oct 01, 2026 at 04:28 PM







FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account