fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?

  
 
MikeEvangelist
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


Happened across some IR images I shot several years ago on a full-spectrum a6000, and it inspired me to try it again. So...my old a7R is on its way to LifePixel for a 590nm conversion (I wasn't a fan of having to use filters with the full-spectrum body, and the 590nm images were my favorites).

Looking forward to playing with it soon.

Anyone else here shooting IR on a Sony body?

Meanwhile, here's a couple old shots...




  ILCE-6000    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    20mm    f/9.0    1/320s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  






  ILCE-6000    E 25mm F2 lens    25mm    f/9.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  




Sep 29, 2026 at 01:40 PM
chez
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


I have the exact same plans. I have an old A7r that has served me well, but I don’t use it anymore. I have shot IR with an old canon dslr that was converted, but don’t really have any canon lenses for it anymore. The A7r would be a great camera for ir.


Sep 29, 2026 at 01:53 PM
MikeEvangelist
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


chez wrote:
The A7r would be a great camera for ir.


That's what I was thinking/hoping.



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:03 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


I did. I enjoyed my 830nm A7VIII so much that I had an A7RIV converted, disaster with the banding in the sky, just the nature of Sony PDAF. The higher the resolution, the darker the conversion, the more visible the banding shows. I bought a Canon R5 specifically for 830 nm conversion because they don't use PDAF.

Long thread here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1681697/



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:04 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

MikeEvangelist
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


Douglas L wrote:
Long thread here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1681697/


Thanks for that. Didn't come up when I searched (archived). Great stuff there.



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:06 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


I've considered it, also considered doing a dedicated mono conversion. Reality for me is I'm not sure how long before I got tired of the effect or even the effort to use it -- it's already about all I can manage to get out and shoot enough with my normal cameras...

If I did IR, I'd do Full Spectrum on an older body, probably something like an A7RV or better an A7Cr so it fit in my bag easier so it was there if/when I wanted it. Then I'd get the Kolari snap in body filters for true color, and then probably the 590 or 665 in order to do false-color as well as partial mono IR. But then as soon as I consider doing this, I think I'd actually use a true mono camera a lot more often, so start thinking in that direction. Note that mono can still do IR, just not false color. So here I'd probably get an 850 nm IR filter, again with appropriate internal, removable IRUV cut filter for normal mono. Then I look at the costs, and look at my converted color files and think, "why bother." But I get the appeal.



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:17 PM
johnahill
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


I had an A7r (og) with a slight scratch on the sensor cover glass so had it removed and converted to full spectrum.

After a lot of dabbling with lens filters I settled on a STC clip-in IR720 filter.

Had quite a few IR photo walks the last couple of summers.

I use Sony PZ 16-35:



[





Tamron 28-75 G2:





Sigma 24mm f3.5:







Before I had the PZ 16-35 I had the Tamron 17-28 which is fantastic for infrared



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:25 PM
johnahill
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Infrared on Sony - anyone doing it these days?


Jack Flesher wrote:
older body, probably something like an A7RV or better an A7Cr.


Older body, you're kidding me right



Sep 29, 2026 at 02:27 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account