Here are a few from a trip out to Benezette, PA to photograph the elk a couple weeks ago. Got really luck with a big bull and about 42 females showed up to the viewing area with some good light for a while. There was one calf in the group that was particularly cute.
Excellent bull! You had great light to capture his majesty and you did with perfection! Good work!
In the last 25 years I have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours chasing Rocky Mountain elk and the bull you captured here is very uncommon. He's a dandy.
Excellent set Cliff. The wildflowers add a lot to your images. When I've gone they were gone and replaced by fall colors which are also real nice. Photos 1 and 3 are my picks
Ed Porter wrote:
Excellent bull! You had great light to capture his majesty and you did with perfection! Good work!
In the last 25 years I have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours chasing Rocky Mountain elk and the bull you captured here is very uncommon. He's a dandy.
Actually saw two bulls the next morning but they took off right after we got there. I have seen big bulls the last two years in Benezette PA. Not sure what we are feeding them here, but we do see big ones like this.
morris wrote:
Excellent set Cliff. The wildflowers add a lot to your images. When I've gone they were gone and replaced by fall colors which are also real nice. Photos 1 and 3 are my picks
Morris
Yes the wildflowers in the fields were perfect. The fall colors also are super nice. We tried to aim for an earlier date this year to see if we could see the bulls rutting. No such luck.
MorrieC wrote:
He is a beauty of a bull elk. I really like the first image the level you took photo with the flowers it is very nicely done. Heck they are all great.
Thanks, I was lucky to get a clean background on the first image with the lower vantage point. That can be a challenge in some locations in Benezette.
douter wrote:
Yep! A very cute calf indeed! Great set, Cliff!
Douglas
Yes, he was pretty cute. When it was in the field of flowers it was rolling around, but was partially blocked from our view by mom. Can't get them all.