fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

100-400mm f4.5 owners: what’s the verdict?

  
 
CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 100-400mm f4.5 owners: what’s the verdict?


robert614 wrote:
Your prelimary results are more or less what I was expecting. Although I was quietly hoping the results with TC’s would be better. While the bare 100-400mm F4.5 seems to be an exceptional lens. It’s probably not the best idea if you plan to use it with TC’s the majority of the time



I should state that the differences I stated were really picking at minor differences I could see at pretty extreme magnifications of an image. I would also say that my 400-800 is very good and that the 100-400mm f4.5 with 1.4x is also very good. The only combo I would not choose to use would be the 100-400 with the 2x.



Oct 01, 2026 at 08:50 AM
Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · 100-400mm f4.5 owners: what’s the verdict?


Yep, it is an appealing combo. Maybe not perfect but feels like a very good balance of quality, weight and flexibility

A harder call if you already have the 300 and/or a good copy of the 400-800 admittedly

CPWarner wrote:
I am hearing a number of people looking to have that setup, 100-400 f4.5 with the 600 f6.3. Not sure if I will go there yet. I really like my 400-800mm and will likely keep that for now.




Oct 01, 2026 at 09:30 AM
DWOfPaul
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · 100-400mm f4.5 owners: what’s the verdict?


CPWarner wrote:
That Sigma 300-600 is nearly 9 pounds (8.75 lbs) itself.


Yes, but its one lens to jugle / keep on a tripod. The 100-400mm is about 4lbs and the 400-800mm is about 5.5lbs. So unless I bring two tripods with me I will always have atleast a 4 lb lens in one arm / on my sholder. Maybe it would work well with a double camera holster, but I have personally never tried one.

The 100-400mm f4.5 + 600mm f6.3 does sound like it would make a very nice combo at about 6lbs total.



Oct 01, 2026 at 01:29 PM
Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · 100-400mm f4.5 owners: what’s the verdict?


Not a bad shout on the dual camera rig but I could never make it work with the 300-600. Tried a pgytech dual rig and a BlackRapid one and neither worked well

Just too unbalanced and allowed the lens to swing too much. The only way I can carry mine is on a cross-body shoulder strap with 1 hand on the neck of the lens or tripod foot to keep it still

If it helps, a quick pic of the 300-600 vs 100-400 with hoods reversed as you would carry them




Oct 01, 2026 at 02:57 PM
1              end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account