fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?

  
 
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


As a nature photographer I look with envy at the lenses that have become available to Nikon and Sony users. Canon keeps producing gee wiz lenses I don't want or need. If canon doesn't want to make them open it up so sigma or tamron can. Don;t make me move to another camera system after 50 years.


Oct 03, 2026 at 02:57 PM
goalerjones
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


Sony owns a large share in Tamron... Sony, which holds roughly 14.7–15.35% of Tamron shares, seeking to buy it outright.


Oct 03, 2026 at 03:57 PM
goalerjones
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


Flowernut wrote:
Canon keeps producing gee wiz lenses I don't want or need.


Exactly. I do not want to pay $10k for one of their new specialty lenses. I loved the flexibility I had with my 5DM4, Sigma and Tamron both brought value to the table.




Oct 03, 2026 at 03:59 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

BrianP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


I am invested in both Canon and Sony. I purchased Sony as a second system, but in recent years I find myself using it more and more. I can and do buy lenses that I am interested in. Many times the OEM doesn't make these. I am not trying to figure out how to save a dollar as much as I am trying to have a wider range of lenses. I have been finding myself buying more Sony branded lenses since the system itself is attracting me more than the closed system that Canon has moved to with RF. I can tell you that with my personal money that Canon's decision has hurt them. I think that this or even just the thought of the fact that people have more options by going with a brand like Sony is one of the biggest reasons that Sony has been growing so much. 10 years ago, Sony held a very small place in the market and Canon was huge. You can even see this in the forums here on FM. Go over to the Sony forum and notice how much more active it is than the Canon. If Canon would open up more, I believe they can help keep this trend from continuing to get worse. This is obviously all just my perspective, but I don't believe I am alone.


Oct 04, 2026 at 09:55 AM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


Sony E was the 'lens lovers' mount, ever since they innovated the mirrorless full-frame camera. It was not always so: the A-mount was treated as a strictly proprietary closed system. They were probably trying to protect what little market share they had in those early times. Many of us used A-mount conversions from Leitax for CZ/CY and Leica R MF lenses.

The E-mount decision turned out to be a master stroke for them, back in 2013. They stayed agile and changed course as they engineered the new world of stills.

'Unlike competitors who tightly locked their proprietary mirrorless mounts (such as early restrictions on Canon's RF mount or legal actions regarding Nikon's Z mount), Sony has tolerated and coexisted with a vast market of third-party autofocus and manual lens manufacturers.' Royalty-free.

And they have therefore been able to also glide into 'business as usual' widespread practice in the cine lens space, and now Zeiss, Cooke, Leitz etc. all offer interchangeable mount setups for their new mirrorless ranges.

It appears that Nikon's forthcoming CINEMA T1.9 VV Series is Z-mount only, at least there is not mention of off-mount compatibility.



Oct 04, 2026 at 07:32 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Will Canon be able to keep the RF mount closed?


Doesn't Canon have cine gear and pro video gear for a long time? We see a lot of it for live events also.
Lately Canon is releaseing mostly hybrid lenses. I think we well see more of that rather than Canon opening the mount, or do you mean on cine cameras?

EBH



Oct 04, 2026 at 10:09 PM
1              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account