I hate to promote his videos as I gave up on him years ago but Tony Northrups video has similar comparisons as Dustin Abbott and his examples are much more in favor of the 600 over the 400/1.4TC. Tony's results give me renewed confidence in the lens. Also Tony's Viltrox 2x examples on both lenses are way, way better than what Dustin got. Tony concludes that you do gain resolution with each TC compared to cropping and shows examples.
arbitrage wrote:
I hate to promote his videos as I gave up on him years ago but Tony Northrups video has similar comparisons as Dustin Abbott and his examples are much more in favor of the 600 over the 400/1.4TC. Tony's results give me renewed confidence in the lens. Also Tony's Viltrox 2x examples on both lenses are way, way better than what Dustin got. Tony concludes that you do gain resolution with each TC compared to cropping and shows examples.
I was expecting other reviews to be in favor of the 600/6.3GM over the 400/4.5+1.4TC, I have no doubts about the IQ really, I will be getting one, and I am confident it will be a great companion to the 600/4GM.
Thank you for the answer to my question. I realized after posting that the preorder site was for a dealer and not Sony. I plan to switch from Canon to Sony just for the 600 6.3. I will miss the amazing image I get with my Canon 600 f4 but the new Sony lens is small and light enough to take anywhere. I am also planning to replace my R5 Mark II with a Sony A1 Mark II.
Joe
indusphoto wrote:
The policy is store dependent but most will charge you at the time of shipping
Anyone have any recommendations on best place to preorder. Is Sony expected to send more units out to large retailers like B&H etc? Any word on whether October ships dates are likely for all preorders.
I doubt anyone knows, asking just in case.
It seems to depend on how well Sony has anticipated demand. AFAIK, they had no issue meeting the 100-400/4.5 demand. If you have a local store you could ask them.
So far Fabian Fopp and Tony Northrup have favourable tests for the 600. Jan Wegner's videos on the 400/600mm twins, will be up either on the weekend or early next week. Jan said himself he wants the 600mm for a lightweight birding option, so hopefully his tests are conclusive.
I ordered the 100-400 f/4.5 late last week, and will now sell my 200-600 and Nikon 400 f/4.5. Hopefully will get the 600 f/6.3 within 6 months.
600 f/6.3 has same mfd as the 400 f/4.5 and 0.25x max magnification, same as the 100-400 f/4.5 zoom. This makes it more useful IMO.
Can't wait for some people here to get the 400/600 and start posting pics.
I'm interested in the 400mm or a used sigma 500mm (if I could find the right deal), but people want about what the 400mm costs. 400mm is faster lens (lose the 100mm). And its a GM.
Bucking the trend. A 400 usually has the shorter MFD and Max Mag. 400 4.5 is 0.18x, slightly better than the existing Sony whites:
GM300 0.16x
GM400 0.16x
GM600 0.14x
So 0.25x for the 600 6.3 is great.
I suppose the 400 4.5 with 1.4TC will match it (0.25x). Maybe not a coincidence.
Pixel Perfect wrote:
600 f/6.3 has same mfd as the 400 f/4.5 and 0.25x max magnification, same as the 100-400 f/4.5 zoom. This makes it more useful IMO.
Incomplete.
Don't have foot and hood weights for the new feather weights.
'TDP' denotes info is from The Digital Picture.
I am ware AOV detail has an error.
Choderboy wrote:
Incomplete.
Don't have foot and hood weights for the new feather weights.
'TDP' denotes info is from The Digital Picture.
I am ware AOV detail has an error.
Feet are the same as 300GM and the hood is a bit smaller than 300GM. So added weight should be a little less than the added weight we see in the 300GM.
If we compare MM at 600mm then the 300GM is the winner at 0.32x
Both 663 and 445 have been shipped in China since a week ago. There are quite a few reviews flying around in the social medias. The common sense is that 663 AF is faster than 328+2x, IQ is better than [email protected], with 1.4x, IQ is better than 480@800mm wide open. Overall, there is no unexpected good or bad surprise.
danwu wrote:
Both 663 and 445 have been shipped in China since a week ago. There are quite a few reviews flying around in the social medias. The common sense is that 663 AF is faster than 328+2x, IQ is better than [email protected], with 1.4x, IQ is better than 480@800mm wide open. Overall, there is no unexpected good or bad surprise.
IQ of 600 6.3 better than 300+2x? Good that AF is faster though.
pdog109 wrote:
IQ of 600 6.3 better than 300+2x? Good that AF is faster though.
The test results are mixed when comparing IQ with 328+2x. It's pretty consistent that 663 is better than 260. Some say it's obvious while others say only by a hair.