fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseb...

  
 
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


I'm not a product photographer at all but a friend asked me to take pictures of a baseball bat for his company. He's willing to pay a few thousand USD so want to make sure it turns out great. He wants a simple white background. I have multiple Canon flashes with a remote trigger and a few different tripods already.

I envision that I would need to buy (or create) some sort of softbox to fit the baseball bat. The back part of the box would have some sort of transparent material (like parchment paper) to shoot the flash through and create that white background.

1) Can I use my existing tripods somehow to mount the flash? Or should I get one light stand? If light stand, the K&F one I am looking at has a screw on top. Should I buy a sort of secondary stick that attaches to the screw and allows me to easily maneuver the flash?

2) One flash enough to illuminate the background and inside the softbox? I am thinking that I line the inside of the softbox with something metallic to bounce the light back onto the baseball bat? Like aluminum foil?

3) Product recommendations definitely helpful. Ideally, I would like to buy a ready-made softbox but wiling to make one if it's simple to put together.

Any tips to make this process easier would be appreciated! Thank you!



Sep 01, 2026 at 10:25 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


By softbox it sounds like you mean light tent: a white translucent box you put a product in and then light the sides of to put soft light on the product.

A softbox is a light diffusing modifier you attach to a light source. It usually has black sides and a translucent face material through which the light is emitted onto what you are photographing.

When I refer to softbox, I'm referring to the latter.

You can use a large enough softbox behind the bat pointed at the camera, filling the frame, to create a pure white background. I'm doing this now with some headshot sessions because it's a lot easier to set up and control the light than trying to evenly light a paper or fabric background. Just be aware that the closer the bat is to that background softbox, the more the light will wrap around. This is not necessarily a good thing as it will reduce the sharpness of the transition along the edges of the bat.

That said, you could even leave the background under illuminated and cut it out in post. The priority would be good lighting of the bat.

Will the bat be lying horizontally on a surface, standing vertically, suspended in space?

If the assumption is you want even light along the length of the bat, you generally want a softbox similar in length. Given the shape of a bat, you could use strip soft boxes (very narrow).

If the budget is a few thousand, and given you are in NYC, visit a photo/studio rental place and get some proper lights, stands and modifiers rather than trying to rig something or using cheap Amazon products. The might even be able to advise on how to set it all up.

If you want to limit the 'spill' of light from a bright white background, for something like a bat, you could buy a sheet of black foam core board, cut a long narrow rectangle out of the middle that leaves some space into which the bat would fit (or cut it into strips and form the strips to shape a 'frame' around the bat), and position it some distance behind the bat in front of the white background. It will appear in the photo, but with a pure white background, you just replace the black mask with white in Photoshop. The purpose of the mask would be to keep the background light from wrapping around the bat so you can better control the transition of light across the surface of the bat with a cleaner edge transition to the background.

Honestly if your friend's company produces the bat, I'm kind of surprised they don't have CGI artwork already available, considering that a product on white is very basic.



Sep 02, 2026 at 12:43 AM
Sy Sez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


There are a number of ways to arrange light sources, but equally, if not more importance is a background that will make the product stand out.


Sep 02, 2026 at 10:08 AM
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Actually, I'm going down the rabbit hole and thinking to build out a (small?) kit. I'm currently vacationing in Hanoi where I can get the following for cheaper than what I can find in the US:

(2) Godox AD200 Pro II for $520
(2) Godox 12x47 strip boxes for $60
(1) Godox X3 Pro remote trigger for $73

I was debating between AD200II vs AD400II and figured the 200 would be sufficient for indoor work. Also, I imagine two lights will give me more flexibility.

On the other hand, I am still wondering if just using my multiple Canon Speedlites with that strip softbox would do the trick?

rscheffler wrote:
By softbox it sounds like you mean light tent: a white translucent box you put a product in and then light the sides of to put soft light on the product.

A softbox is a light diffusing modifier you attach to a light source. It usually has black sides and a translucent face material through which the light is emitted onto what you are photographing.

When I refer to softbox, I'm referring to the latter.

You can use a large enough softbox behind the bat pointed at the camera, filling the frame, to create a pure white background. I'm doing this
...Show more →



Sep 02, 2026 at 10:37 AM
kaplah
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Ming-Tzu wrote:
I'm not a product photographer at all
[...]
He's willing to pay a few thousand USD so want to make sure it turns out great.
[...]
Any tips to make this process easier would be appreciated! Thank you!


1) that's something of an issue coupled with 2).

3) Tip 1: send the bat to me. Tip 2: suggest your friend use a local product photographer on the condition that you are allowed to observe - while not interfering with - the process of image creation.

You're asking for gear tips on such fundamentals as holding a flash / strobe while potentially charging several thousand for the use - not the creation, but the use - of the finished images. I view this as a recipe for a damaged friendship.



Sep 02, 2026 at 10:45 AM
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


It's actually for the startup my friend is interning for. I am always upfront and want to set realistic expectations ahead of time, so made sure to let them know that I have no product photography experience but willing to give it a try. I am charging $2500. They both said that's acceptable.

kaplah wrote:
1) that's something of an issue coupled with 2).

3) Tip 1: send the bat to me. Tip 2: suggest your friend use a local product photographer on the condition that you are allowed to observe - while not interfering with - the process of image creation.

You're asking for gear tips on such fundamentals as holding a flash / strobe while potentially charging several thousand for the use - not the creation, but the use - of the finished images. I view this as a recipe for a damaged friendship.




Sep 02, 2026 at 10:48 AM
kaplah
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Ming-Tzu wrote:
I am charging $2500.


For what? For a three-year licence for all electronic media within North America? For a permanent licence for all electronic, print, and product globally? For the copyright?

You can get a start on that end from here: https://ashleymorrisonphotography.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/base-usage-rate/

In any event I wish you and your client luck. Please show the final image here when it's done



Sep 02, 2026 at 10:53 AM
Nozzleforward
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Off the top of my head, you'll need great lighting and space to display or suspend the product with enough space behind it to isolate from the background (unless you're going to cut it out in post).

You can get mounts for a tripod to hold a light, check amazon. If you plan on doing this for any length of time, buy light stands, they're all over facebook marketplace and B&H for cheap. Having the right stuff for the job does make a difference in workflow and ease of use.

I use AD200 Pro 2's for all sorts of stuff because they're small, light and pretty powerful. Frankly you probably don't even need that much flash if you're doing products in an indoor/studio space. I've used TT600's in smaller soft boxes for general products in the past with no issue, and they're dirt cheap (and brand agnostic). Constant light might be a better option starting out though, as it's easier to adjust lighting and reflections on the fly. Constant lights are also pretty inexpensive, but you need to be sure they're adjustable for brightness, and maybe color temp too.

I agree with the other person that suggested using a studio space and renting their lighting. I also agree with the person that suggested coordinating a professional product photographer within the budget and observing/learning from them. Personally, I'm not comfortable charging for something I'm not fully confident in. I'm still doing free head shots and portraits for friends and coworkers because I don't feel like my game is up to where it needs to be to charge, but that's just me personally.

I'm guessing lighting a bat will be a challenge, I've had similar issues with things like golf clubs, which are also long, narrow and round, so the light doesn't really hit them well and they're a pain to display/suspend. You may also run into issues with the reflections on the coating of the product that will need to be managed by softening the light or using reflectors/bounce cards, but maybe not.

I've seen people use fishing line and a couple light stands with extension arms to suspend things for photos, even heavy stuff like rifles or backpacks filled with bubble wrap, but I've never tried it myself. I would guess that you'd need a fair amount of space, and also a ton of patience as the item swings/spirals back and forth until you get it balanced just right for each shot.

You could also just stand it on one end, at an angle, leaning against something, but then doing so will require a bunch of post work to remove the stand or whatever it's leaning against. Might be better to look at doing it in an environment that fits the product if the client is open to it, think leaning the bat against a bench in the dugout of a local baseball field, etc. and just lighting that with a flash or two to simulate sunlight or whatever look you want.

Bottom line, I'd be cautious about taking payment, from or through a friend, in exchange for something like this that you're just learning. Nothing at all wrong with stepping outside your comfort zone and learning something new, while also making some cash, but I'd be very careful about managing expectations and what you commit to. Also, usage of the pictures, as someone else mentioned, becomes a huge thing. You'll want to negotiate that in advance. They are probably assuming that they pay you $2k for a bunch of photos, and they now own those photos to do with as they want. That may or may not be an agreement you want to get into, I'd research that a bit.

You could ask to borrow one of their products to shoot (or go get a bat somewhere), and experiment with it, take some photos as examples, watermark them, and show them as demos. If they like the results, then write up an agreement for the full production.



Sep 02, 2026 at 11:31 AM
sungphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Part of what I do is product photography and have worked with baseball bats, so can help a bit. I'd start by saying you should get off the forum, and find a good lighting tech to show you how to light a baseball bat properly. You should be able to find many in the NYC area.

But before you do that, look up some comparable images that you want to emulate. Shooting a product on a white background can be done many different ways. Is the photo going to be used as a hero image on their website? Is it just an ecommerce image for product listings? Will it also need to be on a dark background or just a white one? What angles do you need the bat shot at, what focal length etc. Understanding how you are essentially briefing yourself for this project will set you up better for success.

Photographing a highly reflective and large object like a bat is trickier than one might think. If you're shooting the baseball at an angle, you may not have enough light to get the depth of field you need to get the entire bat in focus. If you're working with small light sources/softboxes, they may show up as reflections in the bat itself and also not light the product evenly. If you're working in a space that doesn't allow you to isolate the bat from reflective sources, windows, etc, then they may also show up in the bat as reflections.

Right off the bat though, I'd say that just throwing some stripboxes at it with 200 ws strobes may not yield the results you are looking for. Use that budget for rentals and a good lighting tech, and learn from the experience.



Sep 02, 2026 at 11:56 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Ming-Tzu wrote:
Actually, I'm going down the rabbit hole and thinking to build out a (small?) kit. I'm currently vacationing in Hanoi where I can get the following for cheaper than what I can find in the US:

(2) Godox AD200 Pro II for $520
(2) Godox 12x47 strip boxes for $60
(1) Godox X3 Pro remote trigger for $73

I was debating between AD200II vs AD400II and figured the 200 would be sufficient for indoor work. Also, I imagine two lights will give me more flexibility.

On the other hand, I am still wondering if just using my multiple Canon Speedlites with that strip softbox would
...Show more →

The AD200 is better than a speedlight but possibly still a bit under powered, depending on the modifiers used. You have some flexibility with ISO, post production AI noise reduction and detail enhancement. Meaning if you need to be at f/8-f/11, the AD200 will get you about two stops lower ISO than a speedlight. The other advantage of the AD200, when used with the flashbulb head rather than the flat front head, is that the protruding flash tube will better spread the light inside the strip box for more even surface illumination. If the Godox strip boxes are supplied with a Bowens speedring mount, you will need something like the Godox S3 adapter into which the AD200 (or speedlight) is mounted and which has a female Bowens mount to accept the softbox because the AD200 will not directly mount to a softbox. You will also need lightstands. While camera tripods could work, they generally don't extend high enough, but for product photography, depending on how you set everything up, you might not need the height. But lightstands will be more flexible.

You can still supplement the AD200s with your existing speedlights, if needed. You'll just have to figure out how to trigger them as the Canon and Godox triggering systems are not interoperable. And I believe the Canon speedlights don't have optical slaves/triggers. But it's unclear from your first message what brand of speedlights you use and how you use them in multi-light scenarios.

Two lights is probably the minimum; one for the background and one for the subject, using reflector(s) for fill as needed. Or it could be two lights on the subject for better control of lighting ratios with a third on the background.

If you plan to get the strip boxes while on vacation, see if you can get their package dimensions to determine if two will fit in your suitcase.




Sep 02, 2026 at 12:00 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Long ago, I used to write computer product reviews. I took all of my own photographs to accompany the reviews. Back then, I used a Rebel XT, EF 50mm f/1.8 II and a couple inexpensive flashes (Probably Nikon SB-27s) with remote triggers on stands with umbrellas.

When photographing my subject, I built a PVC Pipe frame and hung up some white paper board (the type you use to make a show and tell project in school).

You'll want to make sure the background gets enough light to mildly blow out and get that seamless white look. I used a stand with glass to elevate the product off the paper and eliminate shadows ON the paper. A circular polarizer will help with reflections.

Just like with any flash photography, you'll need enough light to prevent dark shadows. Reflector boards help with that (but I never used them when I made my product photos. I just didn't have enough money to buy a ton of lighting kit).



Sep 02, 2026 at 12:06 PM
osidesurfer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


My advice is more for the intern than you. If you're interning for a company, and you're going to spend $2500 of that company's money, why are you giving this job to a friend that has no experience in this area. It shows poor judgement. If it doesn't go well, it will reflect badly on the intern. I don't know how much this type of job costs, but I believe that a pro could easily produce professional results.

Despite this, whatever you choose to do, I hope everything turns out ok.

Kevin




Sep 02, 2026 at 12:48 PM
Sy Sez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Also, is the $2500 guaranteed? Seems like a lot of money for an inexperienced product photographer.
You could end up with a lot of expensive lighting gear that you'll never use again.
What are the clients' options if he's dissatisfied with the results?
Best, even with friends, to have a written, and through understanding of a transaction prior to committing to it.



Sep 02, 2026 at 03:41 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


If not a scam it seems like lack of knowledge and experience will not work out well.

EBH



Sep 02, 2026 at 05:50 PM
Photonadave
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Nozzleforward wrote:
"You could ask to borrow one of their products to shoot (or go get a bat somewhere), and experiment with it, take some photos as examples, watermark them, and show them as demos. If they like the results, then write up an agreement for the full production."


Even though I have very little experience with product photography I am impressed with the excellent advice given so far. This is one of the things I like most about the FM forum.

The advice I quoted above jumps out the most for me.

I agree with others with renting the more expensive equipment that you need. Purchase as little equipment and supplies as possible unless you are sure you have further use for it. Be comfortable with taking on the cost in the spirit of furthering your learning experience.

If you end up doing the job then what they are willing to pay you for the final output sounds like it would cover expenses that you anticipated already.

Have fun and be successful!



Sep 02, 2026 at 07:37 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


If you're going to buy some of this gear and can use it later, for example you have a bunch of speedlights, so it sounds like you might already do some multi-unit OCF shoots, the AD200 would be a good upgrade over those. The strip lights might be more specialized and instead you might get better use out of regular more square or octagonal boxes. For the latter, you can 'convert' them to strip boxes very easily to strips of whatever size or width you need, by simply masking the face of a regular softbox with black foam core, or similar. The downside to this approach for the bat shoot would be less power efficiency because you'd be blocking a lot of the output. But for future versatility, this might be the better way to go as you won't need to rebuy something later. I think this would be particularly valid if you do a lot of people photos and don't already have good light modifiers (sounds like you don't if you also don't have any light stands). So I'd look at this shoot as a way to buy some gear you can use later, rather than something too specialized for most future uses. And if you do need something specialized, rent it instead, if there's a reasonable cost savings.


Sep 02, 2026 at 08:39 PM
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Nozzleforward wrote:
Off the top of my head, you'll need great lighting and space to display or suspend the product with enough space behind it to isolate from the background (unless you're going to cut it out in post).

You can get mounts for a tripod to hold a light, check amazon. If you plan on doing this for any length of time, buy light stands, they're all over facebook marketplace and B&H for cheap. Having the right stuff for the job does make a difference in workflow and ease of use.

I use AD200 Pro 2's for all sorts of stuff because they're
...Show more →

I was planning to buy two K&F light stands off Amazon for the Godox lights (potentially).



Sep 02, 2026 at 08:58 PM
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


Sy Sez wrote:
Also, is the $2500 guaranteed? Seems like a lot of money for an inexperienced product photographer.
You could end up with a lot of expensive lighting gear that you'll never use again.
What are the clients' options if he's dissatisfied with the results?
Best, even with friends, to have a written, and through understanding of a transaction prior to committing to it.


My terms are $2500 if he likes the pictures, and $1000 if he doesn't. That way, I don't lose out on money used to purchase the lighting gear. He seemed agreeable to those terms. I was also upfront about my zero experience with product photography but was willing to give it a try. I am thinking he just needs a photographer and $1,000 is enough of a gamble to take a chance.



Sep 02, 2026 at 09:02 PM
Ming-Tzu
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


rscheffler wrote:
If you're going to buy some of this gear and can use it later, for example you have a bunch of speedlights, so it sounds like you might already do some multi-unit OCF shoots, the AD200 would be a good upgrade over those. The strip lights might be more specialized and instead you might get better use out of regular more square or octagonal boxes. For the latter, you can 'convert' them to strip boxes very easily to strips of whatever size or width you need, by simply masking the face of a regular softbox with black foam core, or
...Show more →

Interesting advice about masking a regular softbox! Never thought about that and makes alot of sense. Let me do some more research on that! Thanks!



Sep 02, 2026 at 09:05 PM
gregfountain
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Product Photography - what do I need to take product pictures of a baseball bat?


First thing that popped into my mind was a shot of a bat propped up against a backstop or dugout wall, with a couple or three baseballs and maybe even a glove. Add cleats too because after using this bat, you'll need them to round the bases.

A studio shot would require creative lighting to have an impact worthy of a hefty fee.



Sep 02, 2026 at 09:22 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account