fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?

  
 
Al Trujillo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Danpbphoto wrote:
I had a problem 1 time and it was a "duzey"!
Ended up using an olde "bell jar" wide rubber band tool for "stubborn" twist type jar caps. Worked immediately...gently though...
Dan


Something to think about when buying a new filter is some of them can be ordered in standard and slim profiles. I can see the slim ones being a real problem.



Sep 09, 2026 at 08:35 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Al Trujillo wrote:
Something to think about when buying a new filter is some of them can be ordered in standard and slim profiles. I can see the slim ones being a real problem.

Actually Al, most of mine ARE slim.

As I stated above, wet, NOT saturate, a paper towel with "WD40" or a similiar lubricant, gently lubricated the rings on both lens and filter.
Has worked for me for all my life...79 yrs..Well 60 as a photographer.
Dan

Oh 1 thing I forgot to mention...temperatures!!! If it is hot or cold will cause "swelling". Let the lens aclimatized for a few hours...




Sep 09, 2026 at 11:56 AM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Danpbphoto wrote:
Actually Al, most of mine ARE slim.

As I stated above, wet, NOT saturate, a paper towel with "WD40" or a similiar lubricant, gently lubricated the rings on both lens and filter.
Has worked for me for all my life...79 yrs..Well 60 as a photographer.
Dan

Oh 1 thing I forgot to mention...temperatures!!! If it is hot or cold will cause "swelling". Let the lens aclimatized for a few hours...



Sorry Dan, but I got to tell you that WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a moisture displacer (WD = water displacement). Yes it appears to be a lubricant simply because it is wet but that is not lubrication. It contains nearly no oils. A while after using it, the volatile base evaporates leaving nothing of value. In fact, it becomes a dust attractor then. That's why I recommended in my reply above to use instrument oil (or a very light weight oil of some type, cuticle oil, locksmith oil, watch oil, etc). Even a tiny dab of Triflow teflon lube works well. It will last, too, once the carrier dries out.



Sep 09, 2026 at 03:48 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Jeffrey wrote:
Sorry Dan, but I got to tell you that WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a moisture displacer (WD = water displacement). Yes it appears to be a lubricant simply because it is wet but that is not lubrication. It contains nearly no oils. A while after using it, the volatile base evaporates leaving nothing of value. In fact, it becomes a dust attractor then. That's why I recommended in my reply above to use instrument oil (or a very light weight oil of some type, cuticle oil, locksmith oil, watch oil, etc). Even a tiny dab of Triflow
...Show more →
That is fine Jeffrey! I use those kind of "terms" as a generic term for anything that provides "lubrication".

I also forgot to mention that I use a "q-tip" not a "rag".

Actually I use a silicone lubricant but "bunch" all lubricants into the "WD40 model"!

Bought some colored carrotts at Wegmans a few days ago and am going to saute' them up soon!

Thanks for correcting me!
Stay safe!
Dan

"Temporary Lubrication: It loosens sticky mechanisms and lubricates moving parts,regarding its long-term use as a primary lubricant compared to dedicated grease...."




Sep 10, 2026 at 10:45 AM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Danpbphoto wrote:
That is fine Jeffrey! I use those kind of "terms" as a generic term for anything that provides "lubrication".

I also forgot to mention that I use a "q-tip" not a "rag".

Actually I use a silicone lubricant but "bunch" all lubricants into the "WD40 model"!

Bought some colored carrotts at Wegmans a few days ago and am going to saute' them up soon!

Thanks for correcting me!
Stay safe!
Dan

"Temporary Lubrication: It loosens sticky mechanisms and lubricates moving parts,regarding its long-term use as a primary lubricant compared to dedicated grease...."



Thanks for that Dan. I think that a bit of juice from colored carrots may be the best organic filter thread lube out there! And you can drink the rest of it for lunch....



Sep 10, 2026 at 02:05 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Lens Filter Wrench - Suggestions?


Jeffrey wrote:
Thanks for that Dan. I think that a bit of juice from colored carrots may be the best organic filter thread lube out there! And you can drink the rest of it for lunch....


Symantics.....I like your "lubricant" much better.....
Dan




Sep 11, 2026 at 09:41 AM
1              end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account