fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end
  

What was your first camera?

  
 
thirtyfivefifty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · What was your first camera?


I guess it depends on where you consider the beginning. I used a Kodak FunSaver for a design class scavenger hunt, and the assignment got me looking at things differently. A couple of years later, I borrowed a PowerShot SD400 to try photography, but it was laggy and I wanted more control and better image quality.

The real learning started with a photography book and a borrowed Konica FT-1 with the 35-70mm f/4 lens, which I never really bonded with. I bought a 50mm f/1.7, which helped me capture the kind of photos I wanted, and soon I was taking the Konica everywhere. When its electronics finally fried, I decided it was time to buy my own camera. I've been shooting ever since.



Sep 08, 2026 at 06:37 AM
huddy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · What was your first camera?


My first camera that was actually mine was a Nikon Coolpix 3200 gifted to me in 2004. I had been occasionally shooting gifted 35mm disposables since the mid 90's also. I toted that camera a number of places.

I didn't really get into photography in a bigger way until college as I mostly had spent my time in other visual media before that in high school/early college. My dad's best friend and neighbor down the street was our local newspaper editor and photographer and he was a lifelong Nikon shooter who toted a D3 and 70-200 VR I while I was in college. I figured Nikon's must work well so I saved my dollars and change and bought a used D70 with a broken popup flash latch in 2009 off of ebay. It was paired with a 55-200 VR and the excellent 35/1.8 DX lens. My parents surprised me with a D90 when I got married a few years later so I let the D70 go (but did keep both lenses).

I do still have my original bought by me film camera, a Nikon FE2 (chrome) that came with a bundle of equipment (mostly flashes) and a few MF Nikkors that I was buying for the flashes. I sold the couple of lenses to completely cover the cost of the bundle and decided why not keep the camera since it seemed really nice.

The rest is history.



Sep 08, 2026 at 07:09 AM
kbrede
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · What was your first camera?


My first camera was given to me by my grandmother. It was a brownie box camera. I think I still have it, but I can't find it right now.

Edited on Sep 09, 2026 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions



Sep 09, 2026 at 09:44 AM
1       2              end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account