p.2 #5 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
gdanmitchell wrote:
You know what would be great? If Sony or someone else would create an Apple Watch app that works in conjunction with an iPhone app to give us a simple shutter release button on the watch. Simple, but extremely useful. You already are wearing the watch, so little chance that you’ll forget where you put the remote or lose it.
I know. The phone apps provide more features and a larger area for more sophisticated controls. And there are times when that stuff is still going to be useful. But there are plenty of times when all we want to do is replicate the control of a remote release… and trigger the exposure.
Honestly, it is weird that no one has done this already, as least as far as I know.
(Heck, I don’t mind if they create versions for non-Apple products, too!)...Show more →
Problem is Sony have not made their Bluetooth protocols public so these apps rely on reverse engineered protocols - which Sony could change at any time !
If all you want is just the basic press the shutter button I could add that to my Alpha GPS app which is free - last time I looked at it it seemed simple enough to do but one would have to test if the range of the bluetooth signal enough for the intended use.
The Alpha GPS app assumes you have your phone in your pocket while using the camera (in your hands).
You could test that using either the Creators app or my app to see at what range the bluetooth connection becomes unreliable.
p.2 #6 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
Jack Flesher wrote:
For $6 bucks, I will split it with you. You buy it and try it and if it’s a tosser, I’ll send you $3.
🤣🤣🤣
Its done.
Just updated the app (v1.5) to support remote shooting using Bluetooth. I tested it from about 20 meters away.
If anyone is interested in testing you should be able to access using this link. It might take a day or two for the new version to become available once approved by Apple.
1. Camera must be set to video mode to use the video record option
2. Camera must be set to photo mode for photo shooting
3. Camera must be set to continuous shooting for continuous shooting
Remember to set things like auto iso etc since that can't be controlled remotely. Use the Camera Remote app for more sophisticated control or send me the Bluetooth commands.
Note that these controls are just pressing the focus button, AF-ON button and Video Record button - so if you have reassigned them to something else you will get that something else.
There are options for focus in/out so potentially one could implement focus stacking as well. Let me know if that interests anyone and I can see if I can get that working
p.2 #7 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
I found the initial RMT-P1BT was very reliable for a few years and then slowly became more problematic and unusable over time. Never did figure out exactly why. Instead I used an infrared remote, which was rock solid, the only issue was if bright sun was hitting the sensor but I could just hold it closer.
I was annoyed at the cost of the remote so I didn't buy a new one. I did try one of the knockoffs on amazon for about $30 (has a little LCD screen). Second time I used it, it lost the pairing and delayed me quite a bit while repairing so I returned it. I also didn't like the button placement while holding it -- the button is in the middle of the remote instead of at the top.
I'm now using the Sony RMT-VP2 which has worked flawlessly for the month I've had it. Remains to be seen if it will develop connection problems later. While $90 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, it feels massively over-priced. The new a7R6 removed the IR sensor so I don't have a choice.
p.2 #8 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
Alpha GPS seems better than the Geotag Alpha I have--flawless for geotagging but can not use my Sony BT remote at same time. Alpha GPS acts as both as long as the tagging is as reliable.
p.2 #9 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
duncangr wrote:
Its done.
Just updated the app (v1.5) to support remote shooting using Bluetooth. I tested it from about 20 meters away.
If anyone is interested in testing you should be able to access using this link. It might take a day or two for the new version to become available once approved by Apple.
1. Camera must be set to video mode to use the video record option
2. Camera must be set to photo mode for photo shooting
3. Camera must be set to continuous shooting for continuous shooting
Remember to set things like auto iso etc since that can't be controlled remotely. Use the Camera Remote app for more sophisticated control or send me the Bluetooth commands.
Note that these controls are just pressing the focus button, AF-ON button and Video Record button - so if you have reassigned them to something else you will get that something else.
There are options for focus in/out so potentially one could implement focus stacking as well. Let me know if that interests anyone and I can see if I can get that working
p.2 #10 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
zuru wrote:
Thanks for the app! After some initial glitch probably due to a previous pairing to CC, it works great!
Yep you need to watch out for previous pairing - in theory that shouldn't matter but I find it is best not to pair the cameras with the Sony Creators app at the same time otherwise there are problems with reliable connections.
Let me know if you encounter any bugs - at some point I will probably add basic focus stacking as I can see myself using something quick and easy on occasion. Trying to remember how to set it up in camera is always a challenge since I don't use that function very often.
p.2 #11 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
71sbeetle wrote:
Let me know what you think after you try it out, I really like it, someone on the forum here had recommended it, decided to give it a try and haven't stopped using it since. It has a rechargeable battery and even with as much as we use it, we only need to charge once every 4-6 months (we've had it for just about a year now and other than the initial charge we've only charged it once since, and I just asked my wife she said it's probably due soon but still works fine)
I received the Aodelan one you recommended and I have to say this is my favorite one now! I like it more than the Smallrig one because the buttons are better, bigger and in the right spots. I’m definitely done using Sony brand remotes using disposable lithium batteries, these rechargeable ones are so much better. This Aodelan one can also be updated with future firmware versions.
p.2 #12 · Ideas for a reliable Bluetooth remote shutter release?
Michael Gordon wrote:
Alpha GPS seems better than the Geotag Alpha I have--flawless for geotagging but can not use my Sony BT remote at same time. Alpha GPS acts as both as long as the tagging is as reliable.
Let me know if tagging is not reliable and if you can reproduce the issue let me know how and I will try and fix that.
Best not to have the camera paired with Sony's Creators app as well because that seems to cause issues with reliable background reconnections.