p.1 #1 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
Just picked up a nice 55mm ƒ1.8 Zony (thanks @edseiz) and noticed it has an unusual serial number (r-000609). I've had three other copies of this lens over the years and they all had standard numbers-only serials.
Anyone have any idea what/if anything, it might mean?
UPDATE - turns out the original owner got this lens via a friend who was a Sony rep. So the serial number (most likely) indicates that it was a rep sample.
p.1 #5 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
Looks like an early series copy. For best results, f2.8-f3.2, it sharpens up nicely and let's not forget it's the first full frame mirrorless (EVF) camera lens, so it a piece of history too.
Four aspherical surfaces (though Nikon won't say and it may have just two) and no ED elements. Where have we heard that before?
The Voigtlander 40/1.2 and Nikon's 58/1.4. All copped criticism for not being 'sharp enough'! Release dates were inside a four year envelope: Sony 55/1.8 (2013); Nikon 58/1.4 (2013) and CV 40/1.2 (2017). If you look at these designs, you see patterns like this. By the way, the (2012) RX1 Sonnar is a similar config, glass-wise.
The informed user base absolutely loves these lenses (all are still currently sold (9-13 years on), but the makers make more money from the faster lenses and zooms the pros wanted. They can certainly make these character lenses, but they choose not to. Yes, they are not what the lens producers want to make, strange as it seems.
Why have there been no similar lenses made in the past decade? Single digit element count lenses of this configuration? Because these are character lenses par excellence, and the industry can't have that being recognized..all are great for people photography too, and who needs that in 2026?
Buy-sell-repurchasers like Mike are not indecisive. They sell for the perceived (and a few real) shortcomings, then take a look at what they got from them as time passes by, and want that again. It's a sign of wisdom because all lenses have pluses and minuses. Which ones wins a place in your heart? That changes too.
(You might ask why you are reading this from some internet rando, instead of the scribes doing the YT reviews and pubs.)
p.1 #6 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
The market has moved on. Back then Sony had a very poor selection of lenses and even the basic 55/1.8 was welcome. Nowadays a control ring with aperture, a better MF system, and some other features would be nice. Video is a huge part.
The numbering is interesting, I suppose to prevent people from selling those lenses too early?
p.1 #7 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
philip_pj wrote:
Looks like an early series copy. For best results, f2.8-f3.2, it sharpens up nicely and let's not forget it's the first full frame mirrorless (EVF) camera lens, so it a piece of history too.
When Sony announced the original A7 and a7R in October 2013, they launched it alongside a foundational lineup of five native full-frame FE-mount lenses:
* Sony Sonnar T FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA
* Sony Sonnar T FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
* Sony Vario-Tessar T FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS
* Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (Standard kit zoom)
* Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS (Telephoto zoom, announced at launch but released slightly later)
So if you want a historic vintage mirrorless kit, these two bodys together with those five lenses rounds it up nicely.
BTW, my 55/1.8 has a normal number. Do note that it has two serial numbers, one Zeiss one and one Sony one.
p.1 #8 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
lattesweden wrote:
When Sony announced the original A7 and a7R in October 2013, they launched it alongside a foundational lineup of five native full-frame FE-mount lenses:
* Sony Sonnar T FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA
* Sony Sonnar T FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
* Sony Vario-Tessar T FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS
* Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (Standard kit zoom)
* Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS (Telephoto zoom, announced at launch but released slightly later)
So if you want a historic vintage mirrorless kit, these two bodys together with those five lenses rounds it up nicely.
BTW, my 55/1.8 has a normal number. Do note that it has two serial numbers, one Zeiss one and one Sony one.
Yeah mine has two serial numbers (not the same) on the front and one on a sticker by the side of the lens. Anyway it's an amazing lens for both FF and aps-c. It's great for head and shoulder shots with my A6700.
p.1 #9 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
BTW, my 55/1.8 has a normal number. Do note that it has two serial numbers, one Zeiss one and one Sony one.
Yeah mine has two serial numbers (not the same) on the front and one on a sticker by the side of the lens. Anyway it's an amazing lens for both FF and aps-c. It's great for head and shoulder shots with my A6700.
I still use my 55/1.8. Have had it since 2016.
My normal portrait setup lenses are the Samyang 24/1.8, Sony GM 35/1.4, Sony-Zeiss 55/1.8 and the Sigma DG DN Art 85/1.4.
I use two A7RV bodys and have the 35 on one and the 85 and the other as the standard setup. The 35 for face/upper body portraits (gives a perspective closer to a smartphone, which people are used to these days) and the 85 for full body portraits.
The 24 I use when I need wider shots and the 55 when either the 85 is too long, or for half body portraits where I think it renders really nice.
Even though these are my base rules, I do break them when I see that I will get a better result with something else.
Why do I use f1.8 lenses on 24 and 55 mm and not f1.4? Because they are light to bring along. Having 1.4 on a 24 mm does not give me much extra vs the added bulk and weight, and for my usage of the 55/1.8 with half body portraits I get plenty of blur so no need for a wider aperture there with the added weight and bulk that will give.
I am interested though to change my 85/1.4 to the coming Sigma 85/1.2 to gain more blur for full body portraits close to backgrounds, but I will wait until the reviews are in and also until we know what the weight is.
p.1 #10 · Sony Zeiss serial number oddity (solved!)
lattesweden wrote:
I still use my 55/1.8. Have had it since 2016.
My normal portrait setup lenses are the Samyang 24/1.8, Sony GM 35/1.4, Sony-Zeiss 55/1.8 and the Sigma DG DN Art 85/1.4.
I use two A7RV bodys and have the 35 on one and the 85 and the other as the standard setup. The 35 for face/upper body portraits (gives a perspective closer to a smartphone, which people are used to these days) and the 85 for full body portraits.
The 24 I use when I need wider shots and the 55 when either the 85 is too long, or for half body portraits where I think it renders really nice.
Even though these are my base rules, I do break them when I see that I will get a better result with something else.
Why do I use f1.8 lenses on 24 and 55 mm and not f1.4? Because they are light to bring along. Having 1.4 on a 24 mm does not give me much extra vs the added bulk and weight, and for my usage of the 55/1.8 with half body portraits I get plenty of blur so no need for a wider aperture there with the added weight and bulk that will give.
I am interested though to change my 85/1.4 to the coming Sigma 85/1.2 to gain more blur for full body portraits close to backgrounds, but I will wait until the reviews are in and also until we know what the weight is.
Nonetheless, the 55/1.8 will stay in my bag....Show more →
That's why I am kinda reluctant to add a 50/1.2 (used GM, new and discounted Sigma and upcoming Viltrox compete for my wallet)---it'll be heavier than the 55. Nowadays though I've been shooting a lot with my new Viltrox 35/1.2 LAB N so my 55 is getting less usage. One thing about the 55, I can get a bit closer to my subject unlike the 35 which will cause perspective distortion.