fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?

  
 
andbott723
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


I'm thinking about picking up an RF 100-300 to replace my 200-400. Currently using the 24-105 Z, 70-200 Z, and 400 2.8 II for most work. Prefer shooting the 400 wide open, so I gravitate towards it over the 200-400 a lot more than I should.

Looking for input from those who have used - or own both - the 70-200 Z and 100-300. Keep both? Prefer one over the other? IQ comparison? Is dual-strap, run-and-gunning long events w/ a 24-105 and 100-300 even feasible?

Obviously, the 100-300 is not cheap. Debating whether to lighten the blow by selling the 70-200.





Aug 14, 2026 at 01:07 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


I own both, plus the RF 400.

The only reason to bring the 100-300 is if you know you need 300 and size and weight don't matter — think safari, where you're in a car, or polar bears, where the boat carries it. The lens is too small to justify a gimbal but too big to swing around by hand for hours; the 100-500 is much better at that. Image quality is excellent naked and still good with the 2x. I've never found the 1.4x to be a valid compromise.

The 70-200 is amazing when you know 200 is enough, and there are plenty of applications where it is. It also takes the TCs like a champ — I can't tell the Z + 2x from the 100-500 in a blind test. A true gem.

For me, "100-300 or Z?" has never really been the question; the use case usually answers it. The one that comes up all the time is "100-500 or Z with a TC?"

I wouldn't hesitate a second to replace the 200-400 with the 100-300 — no comparison. The 100-300 should have had a built-in TC, but that's another story; even without it, it's the clear choice. I've never dual-strapped the 100-300 with the 24-105 Z, though my son has, without complaints. On safari I dual-shoot the RF 400 and the 100-300, but there the car is doing the heavy lifting.



Aug 14, 2026 at 01:23 AM
nightnight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


stanj wrote:
The 70-200 is amazing when you know 200 is enough, and there are plenty of applications where it is. It also takes the TCs like a champ — I can't tell the Z + 2x from the 100-500 in a blind test. A true gem.



In good light, how has your experience been with AF accuracy with the 2x on the 70-200 Z?



Aug 14, 2026 at 04:54 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


nightnight wrote:
In good light, how has your experience been with AF accuracy with the 2x on the 70-200 Z?


Not as good as the 100-500 naked, that's for sure. Still workable. It depends on what you are after - if you're planning to shoot long on a regular basis, then the 100-500 is the better choice. If 200 is good enough most of the time, then the extra stop is very nice.



Aug 14, 2026 at 11:29 AM
lettucewrap3
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


I have both as well as the RF 400. A few observations that could help you decide:

(1) For sports, I usually find myself with the 100-300 because it does the job of the 70-200 + 400 combo most of the time. If you need the reach for football, hockey, etc., the 100-300 is a no-brainer. Even for closer-range sports like basketball and volleyball where I could get by with a 70-200, I also bring the 100-300. I only take the 70-200 when I'm just not feeling it.

(2) That said, the 70-200 Z is significantly easier to use because it is lighter (center of mass is closer to the body) and has a much shorter, more effortless throw across its focal range.

(3) IQ-wise, both are exceptionally sharp. Can't go wrong with either one.

Also 24-105 + 100-300 is definitely feasible imo, I do it all the time with the 28-70 f/2.

You should keep the 70-200 Z because some days you’ll appreciate having the lighter option and think, “thank god I don’t have to haul the 100-300 around.”



Aug 14, 2026 at 04:19 PM
andbott723
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


After picking up the 200-400, I never used my 100-400 II again. After picking up the 400 2.8, I slowed down with the 200-400. The 100-500 has been off my radar as I haven't gotten tired of lugging around the big glass... yet!

I primarily shoot runners, races, and brand events centered around running & fitness. Need 15mm one minute and 200+ the next - which is why I've been thinking the 24-105 + 100-300 should be the holy grail.

Overkill… yes.
Fun… also yes.





Aug 14, 2026 at 09:45 PM
juxwox
Offline
•
[X]
p.1 #7 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


If you’re already using the 400 2.8 a lot, I’d probably go with the 100-300 and sell the 70-200. The 100-300 gives you a really useful range for events, and with the 24-105 on the second body the setup makes a lot of sense. The main thing would be the extra weight for run and gun work.


Aug 14, 2026 at 09:48 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


I went the other way with the 200-400, coming from ~20 years of 400/2.8 use. Once I got the zoom, I barely used the prime and eventually sold it. And my 600/4 IS v1. The primes were/are better optically, but if you need the flexibility of a zoom... It really depends on your applications.

Until last year I primarily used the 200-400 for field sports. Last year I borrowed/rented the 100-300 for football. IMO it's too short for this, bare, so I 100% used it with the 1.4x TC. This combo is faster focusing and sharper than the bare 200-400, and a little wider at the wide end, which I found pretty much negated the need to use a 70-200, using a xx-70 on the second body instead for really close action. However I do kind of miss the 560mm option of the 200-400. When I first tried the 100-300 for football I ended up using it with the 2x most of the time, as it was too painful to swap TCs during breaks in action, but I don't really like f/5.6 at 400mm or wider. It starts to lack background separation at typical working distances. So I stay mostly with the 1.4x. In this respect, the new Sony 100-400/4.5 would be almost ideal.

However, I still haven't bought a 100-300. I got the 70-200Z instead thinking that with the 1.4x it would be a one stop slower, poor man's 100-300. It's very close, but not quite the same, understandably. But there are situations, shooting events, where I prefer the 70-200 with TC over a larger lens. In the past this would have been the 200-400, and while at 280/4 the Z is shorter, it's sharper than the 200-400. Paired with a high resolution camera like the R5II, I've found it's an adequate replacement when I don't want to lug around a larger lens. I have shot events with the 100-300 on one shoulder, hand held, and a wide on the other camera. It's certainly doable and not as bad as I expected. But when I want to be more mobile, or not feel as weighed down, the 70-200 & TC is better. I also think there are some event situation where a 100-300 is just too conspicuous, especially if you're working in close distances at the wider end. I actually feel even more strongly about this with the 24-105Z.

24-105Z and 100-300 with or without a TC is a great combo. 70-200Z with 1.4x TC and 400/2.8 would also be good. I don't think there's really one definitive answer here because it depends so much on what you're covering. Personally, I would not sell the 70-200 because I think it still has a place, though perhaps a diminished one if you're OK lugging around the 100-300. If you don't yet have the TCs, then consider adding one or both.



Aug 14, 2026 at 11:19 PM
andbott723
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


rscheffler wrote:
I went the other way with the 200-400, coming from ~20 years of 400/2.8 use. Once I got the zoom, I barely used the prime and eventually sold it. And my 600/4 IS v1. The primes were/are better optically, but if you need the flexibility of a zoom... It really depends on your applications.

Until last year I primarily used the 200-400 for field sports. Last year I borrowed/rented the 100-300 for football. IMO it's too short for this, bare, so I 100% used it with the 1.4x TC. This combo is faster focusing and sharper than the bare 200-400,
...Show more →

Appreciate the insights here! I haven’t picked up the RF TCs yet but I'm planning to grab the 1.4x soon. To be honest, I've kind of forgotten that TCs on the 70-200s are even possible so thanks for reminding me. I was never a fan of TCs on the EF 70-200. Only use them on the big whites where there’s obviously plenty of sharpness to spare.

I was reluctant to upgrade EF counterparts to the Zs. EFs worked for a decade, so held a “why bother” mentality. Was blown away by the sharpness on the Zs so now I'm curious how the 100-300 could be even better.

I definitely live in a really weird world using the 200-400 / 400. I primarily use them for 15-30 min at a time, almost always handheld. Waiting for specific runners to pass by, then taking off down the road for another shot at them. I played around with the 500/600 f4 v1’s but sold them off, didn’t need the reach.
I pull out the 200-400 or 400 fairly often at large outdoor community events too. Candids with big glass is not exactly the standard use case but man… those can be great shots.

At the end of the day, the 100-300 is more of a want than a need… but thinning the big white herd to future-proof against potential glass paperweights has seemed like a good idea.



Aug 15, 2026 at 11:00 PM
nightnight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


stanj wrote:
Not as good as the 100-500 naked, that's for sure. Still workable. It depends on what you are after - if you're planning to shoot long on a regular basis, then the 100-500 is the better choice. If 200 is good enough most of the time, then the extra stop is very nice.


I mostly live in the 70-200 range, but could really use the extra reach for soccer. Hesitant seeing mixed reports on the AF, though.



Aug 16, 2026 at 01:52 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


^ Would you use the 70-200Z with the 1.4 or 2x TC for soccer? I have not yet noticed an AF performance loss with the 1.4x on the R5II that would affect ability to cover sports action. I have not yet tried the 2x with this combo.

andbott723 wrote:
Appreciate the insights here! I haven’t picked up the RF TCs yet but I'm planning to grab the 1.4x soon. To be honest, I've kind of forgotten that TCs on the 70-200s are even possible so thanks for reminding me. I was never a fan of TCs on the EF 70-200. Only use them on the big whites where there’s obviously plenty of sharpness to spare.

I was reluctant to upgrade EF counterparts to the Zs. EFs worked for a decade, so held a “why bother” mentality. Was blown away by the sharpness on the Zs so now I'm curious
...Show more →

IME there is not a significant downside to using the RF 1.4x on either the 70-200Z or 100-300. In certain situations you might see slight quality loss with the 70-200. I haven't yet observed a perceptible difference with the 100-300 with or without the 1.4x. And this is where the bare 100-300 pulls very slightly ahead of the Z + 1.4x TC combo, at least on 45MP. I also haven't yet experienced a noticeable issue in AF performance with the Z and 1.4x. In real world use, I would pick the combo best for a given situation based on other requirements, such as mobility. I've only borrowed the 2x from CPS to use with the 100-300 and RF 600/4. It certainly results in better quality images than I remember from the earlier EF 2x TCs (never tried the vIII generation), but I could perceive some sharpness loss at 600mm on the 100-300 (same with the 600/4). Not huge, but not as far ahead of the 200-400 + TC as I would have thought. Where the 100-300 & 2x is definitely better is preservation of overall image contrast. The 100-300 is a higher contrast lens than the 200-400 to begin with and handles backlighting better - less contrast loss, less apparent veiling flare. Contrast loss was always a side effect with EF TCs back when I used them, and it's also the case for the 200-400's TC. It just doesn't seem to be as significant, or noticeable, with the RF lenses.

I've owned the 200-400 since it was released and looking back, it was the perfect lens for the 1DX era of 18-20MP when one wouldn't crop super deep most of the time and instead would use optical solutions to get tighter on the action. Now in the 45MP era (at least on Canon), you can see some of its optical limitations more clearly at pixel level, which is not the case with the 100-300, which will probably handle >60MP. For so long I used 560mm for probably 50% of my field sports coverage and initially the 100-300 just felt way too short. But if you can make good use of 45MP (I'm not entirely convinced it makes a major difference at high ISOs) with a sharp lens, you can crop pretty deep and still have very usable results.

If you're mostly handholding the 200-400 and 400 already, you won't have a problem with the 100-300, which is lighter than the 200-400. I used the 100-300 at an institutional event for covering on-stage ceremonies and then afterwards, handheld, in place of a 70-200, paired with the 28-70/2, and it worked great. I didn't feel overly bogged down. At that event, I did benefit from having 300/2.8 for the on-stage happenings, but most of the time, I'm fine with the 70-200Z and adding the 1.4x, when I will need to crop more even with the TC. This was the case at a week's worth of convocation ceremonies where previously I used the 200-400 for some on-stage coverage. This year I shot from the same positions with the Z & 1.4x handheld, and just cropped in post. This was when I really noticed that the Z with TC was sharper than the 200-400. Part of the reason was that the Z's IS system provided better stabilization, and more quickly settled down, than the 200-400 on a monopod. On the first day I was skeptical about not using the 200-400, but beside the fact that the Z was optically great, I was way less tired at the end because I wasn't lugging the 200-400 around the whole time as I moved around the venue to my various shooting positions. Plus I didn't have to deal with a monopod.

I think the bottom line here is that whether you add TCs for the 70-200 or get the 100-300 (and at least the 1.4x), you can pretty safely eliminate the 200-400 from your rotation.



Aug 16, 2026 at 03:28 PM
nightnight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


rscheffler wrote:
^ Would you use the 70-200Z with the 1.4 or 2x TC for soccer? I have not yet noticed an AF performance loss with the 1.4x on the R5II that would affect ability to cover sports action. I have not yet tried the 2x with this combo.



It would be either the 1.4x or the 2x on the Z + R5 II, yes. I continue to hear that the 1.4X is basically just a free additional 80mm on the long end, while the 2x comes with some more substantial tradeoffs. Would love to get to 400mm, but it ultimately makes little difference if it can't track what I need it to track.



Aug 17, 2026 at 05:48 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


If you already have the 70-200 Z, just rent the 2x for a week ($37 at Lens Rentals). Then let us know how well it worked.


Aug 17, 2026 at 04:41 PM
thedutt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · RF 100-300 vs. 70-200 Z?


Similar, own the 100-300 & RF 400; It has been a superb combo for wildlife setup, I use 400 often with 2x and 100-300 bare or with 2x if 400 is staying home. Last year I did 10 days in remote Alaska with bears and left the 400 home as the previous year, almost all my keepers were with 100-300.

Also, 100-300 was great for shooting high school sports; 100-300 will replace both your 200-400 & 70-200; But it is not light and portable, so you may want to rent one first.





stanj wrote:
I own both, plus the RF 400.

The only reason to bring the 100-300 is if you know you need 300 and size and weight don't matter — think safari, where you're in a car, or polar bears, where the boat carries it. The lens is too small to justify a gimbal but too big to swing around by hand for hours; the 100-500 is much better at that. Image quality is excellent naked and still good with the 2x. I've never found the 1.4x to be a valid compromise.

The 70-200 is amazing when you know 200 is enough, and there
...Show more →




Aug 20, 2026 at 10:36 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account