fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  
Top value bird/wildlife lens around 3k?
RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM
RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM (or IS II version)

Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife

  
 
Blue Rock Birds
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


Cliff L. wrote:
I've owned a couple of copies of the RF 200-800, and didn't like it.

It's hard to beat the RF 100-500L, even with a TC attached:


Gorgeous, thank you for sharing. I know it's not just a matter of slapping a nice lens on and suddenly everything looks amazing, but the fact that it *can* deliver this shot is inspiring.

bman212121 wrote:
My 2 cents. If you are birding then the comfortable zone is north of 600mm on a full frame in the 45 - 50MP area (Which is around 20MP on a crop). For me it doesn't feel like there's enough lens until you are at that level, and you'll continue to seek options until you can get there. (It's fairly common if you're only at the 20 - 24MP level on Full Frame they will use it with a 600 / 4 + 1.4x, which is 840mm)

The 70 - 300 won't ever get there, the 100 - 400 IS II
...Show more →

This strikes me as well-reasoned and persuasive, thank you for working through the options in detail.

melcat wrote:
Yes, here’s an example:

https://live.staticflickr.com/1449/23657676844_0dc1c48479_b.jpg

Eastern Rosella by Frank Ernens, on Flickr

1/200s f/8 EF 100–400mm f/4.5–5.6 L IS II @ 400mm on EF 1.4× II ISO 400
Canon 1D Mk III (1.3 crop, 10Mpx), uncropped
Image copyright Francis Ernens

The slightly flat look is the processing; the modern version of it in Capture One is more vibrant. There’s some motion blur because it was either that or raise the ISO more than I wanted to. With a modern camera and the way I process now those problems would go away.

This was the Mk II teleconverter. The Mk III has slightly better image quality and the
...Show more →

Thanks for sharing the photo and details on the Mk II/III. This sounds to me like, if my goal is catching birds in flight, I'd probably need the Mk III, which honestly dissuades me from this specific idea (EF 100-400, RF 200-800).

melcat wrote:
One of the problems I had with the 300 + 1.4× II was that its focus couldn’t keep up with the 10fps of my1D Mk III. The fix was to set AF release priority to “focus” in servo, so the camera would slow down as much as it had to for each frame to be in focus. With the R3 (and your R7), this is no longer possible: in servo, these cameras always use release priority. So you have to do one of the following:

1. Set one-shot AF release priority to “focus” and use one-shot.

2. Continue to use servo +
...Show more →

Since it seems increasingly likely I'll end up with a 100-500, I will make use of this advice and hopefully overcome the challenges involved. Thank you for explaining some of the more granular aspects of the issues I've encountered -- I'm definitely still in the "don't know what I don't know" phase of learning, so figuring out which of the more subtle camera adjustments are impactful is super useful to me. I am extremely grateful for all the thoughtful responses this thread has yielded. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but this is everything I could have hoped for and more.



Aug 07, 2026 at 08:32 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


The 1D III had so many problems I couldn't stand it. The 1Ds III still had some of them also. I'm so glad 2007 is long in the past.
The 1.4x EF III is a much better and totally different optical design from the II, in addition to the speed issues mentioned above.
I have two of the 100-400 IS II and used them with the 1.4x III sometimes with the 5D IV. The 5D IV and 1DX II made some sense with that setup at the time, but the effective 560mm is not worth it compared to the 100-500 at 500mm on an R5/R5 II without needing any TC. I still use the 500/4 IS II with EF-RF adapter and it one of the best optically that Canon ever made. Most of the time it has the 1.4x III installed and used alongside the 100-500 on R5/R5 IIs. If you can swing the RF 600/4 that is a better option as it gives 840mm with the RF 1.4x.

So much depends on your goals and output. Are you making large, finely detailed priunts or a sociali media (web) presenter that only needs ~8MP out?
The main thing it to get close as you can. That means a lot of hours in the field, sometimes setting up blinds, etc., knowing your gear and being patient.

EBH



Aug 07, 2026 at 09:35 AM
Blue Rock Birds
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


Given the feedback and majority consensus, notwithstanding the excellent discussion of alternatives, I took advantage of that outgoing used EF 300m for a Canon Upgrade Program discount and just ordered the RF100-500 at 20% off. I'm about to take a couple weeks off of work and want to make the most of it to step up my photography. Huge thanks to everyone who took the time to discuss the topic.


Aug 07, 2026 at 11:38 AM
netexpress
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


EB-1 wrote:
The 1D III had so many problems I couldn't stand it. The 1Ds III still had some of them also. I'm so glad 2007 is long in the past.
The 1.4x EF III is a much better and totally different optical design from the II, in addition to the speed issues mentioned above.
I have two of the 100-400 IS II and used them with the 1.4x III sometimes with the 5D IV. The 5D IV and 1DX II made some sense with that setup at the time, but the effective 560mm is not worth it compared to the 100-500 at 500mm
...Show more →

RF 100-500
RF 600/4
EF 400./2.8 DO II
EF 500/4 II

+ Teleconverters version EF III or RF

At 1.6X crop? All of these are excellent. You can not go wrong with any of these.




Aug 14, 2026 at 02:22 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Dave_E
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


I have pretty much everything available, from the RF 100-500 to the RF 600 f4 and everything in between, but the one lens have always loved is the EF 400 DO II f4 c/w EF TC 1.4 . 400 f4 or 560 f5.6 great size,sharp as a tack. I wish Canon would make an RF version lighter with an RF mount.

Davep



Aug 14, 2026 at 09:01 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


Those that claim longer is always better for birds seem to miss a couple of points. Longer always results in more heat shimmer degradation of IQ and it is always harder to locate and track a bird.

You will always get better results "IF" you can move closer with a shorter lens.

If you are always going to shoot at 500mm then a 500mm is fine. However, if you find enough times where you want to go anywhere down to 100mm a zoom is faster and easier than changing to another lens.

150-400 would be my choice.



Aug 15, 2026 at 12:49 PM
gwaww
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


I agree with Imagemaster. I have both the 200-800 and the100-500. I have some great images from the larger lens but always from the full frame R5 or R5 MK II. I think in some way a crop sensor camera exaggerates atmospheric conditions (smoke,haze,shimmer etc.). The 100-500 stays on my R7 partly because of its shorter minimum focusing distance. I use it for butterflies and other insects. Yes, move closer if possible. Learn the habits of your subject and try to predict their movements and be in the right place at the right time. We are having a great butterfly season this year and I know which ones are going to what flowers. And that is where i will be.


Aug 17, 2026 at 02:50 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · Top Value Mid-Tier Lens Upgrade for Bird/Wildlife


If, and that´s a massive if, Canon build the R7 mkII as they should, a full pro cropper, I will get one and put my rarely used but excellent 100-500 on it. Will my R52 + 200-800 see any use anymore? I doubt that. And thats why Big C wont build the R72 as they should. FF would struggle as a heavier much larger package with very few benefits. I really liked the size and fast handling of my R7 + 100-500.

For great reach on a R7 I can recommend the 600f/11 for a 960mm field of view. It is much smaller than the 800/11, fits anywhere. And as mentioned above atmospherics is a serious challenge/showstopper the longer the FL. At 1280mm FoV a 800mm lens is phenomenal AND very rarely usable due to shimmer.



Aug 17, 2026 at 03:15 PM
1              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account