fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Amazing Eneloop Longevity

  
 
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


I found nearly the oldest Eneloop AA batteries possible, with mfg. date indicated 2006.
So after literally 20 years I'm getting discharge capacities at .5A of 1.84-1.86Ah or 92-93% of rated.
Sanyo really made those batteries well back then!

EBH



Jul 13, 2026 at 02:44 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


I still have about 100 Eneloop AA batteries from 15 to 20 years ago. I probably recycled a couple of them, because they swelled up a bit, but I still can round up enough of them to twice fill my 4x 600EX-RT + 4x CP-E4 power packs (96 batteries). They still work fine.


Jul 13, 2026 at 07:03 PM
Fred Amico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


Another happy camper here with multiple Eneloops that are over 10 years old and still going strong.


Jul 13, 2026 at 08:45 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


Some years ago on another photo forum (not DPR, but it might have also been posted there) someone did a massive longterm rechargeable AA battery test and IIRC, Eneloops consistently performed very well.

I also have 10+ years old Eneloops and they still seem to work, though I have really cut back on my photographic AA battery usage and these are no longer really stress tested on a regular basis. Instead I use them in peripherals around the house that need them. All/most of the on-camera flashes I now use operate on dedicated lithium packs instead of generic AA batteries. I much prefer this as performance is much closer to that of an external HV pack but without the pack and cable hassles, or the hassles of needing to recharge 16+ AAs between jobs (I bought a couple 8xAA smart chargers).

I think the last Eneloops I bought were probably around 2015. Since then, when I needed more, I bought the made in Japan IKEA versions because they were apparently from the same factory and were sometimes available at decent discounts, not to mention that their typical retail price was much more attractive than the originals. I have not done side by side testing so can't say if the IKEA versions perform closely to the originals. It's been a while since I bought some from IKEA and have no idea if they're still reskinned Eneloops. Supposedly at one time the Amazon Basics High Capacity rechargeable AAs were also rumoured to be reskinned Eneloops... but are now apparently made in China whereas current Eneloop packaging (on Amazon) indicates those are still made in Japan.



Jul 14, 2026 at 09:46 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


The oldest Eneloops I find in my stockpile are vintage '07. They're all labelled "SANYO" "MADE IN JAPAN" "Typ. 2,000mAh Min. 1,900mAh". All test well above 2000 with one actually reaching 2228. These things get better with age!

The newest ones I have are AAA dated 2024 and were made in Japan by Panasonic.

Only a handful of mine have ever gone bad. I've lost more Eneloops than I've had to recycle.




Jul 15, 2026 at 09:45 AM
CharleyL
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


You will find that the "Tenergy AA batteries" hold about 20% more charge than the "Eneloop AA batteries".

Charley



Jul 16, 2026 at 07:20 AM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


CharleyL wrote:
You will find that the "Tenergy AA batteries" hold about 20% more charge than the "Eneloop AA batteries".

Charley


How many cycles are they rated for?



Jul 17, 2026 at 11:04 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


I see some batteries rated 2.8Ah. There are numerous complaints about them being oversized and other issues. I also see nothing about low self discharge. I would not expect those batteries to last as many years and lose as little charge. My post was not about how much cavity is possible, but .
56
EBH



Jul 17, 2026 at 03:00 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity



Eneloops sacrifice some capacity for being low discharge. I've had a number of Eneloops for many years, they've always been rock solid.



Jul 17, 2026 at 06:49 PM
Queso_Grandee
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


I've been really impressed with our Enloop batteries. Some of them are 12 years old and going strong. I've been buying the IKEA ones since they're relabelled Enloop for a lower price.


Jul 17, 2026 at 11:47 PM
dennisgibson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


I bought eneloops way way back, I think (Will) Trenchmonkey had recommended them to me. Still have about 20 of them and they all still hold a charge and I use them all the time.

EB-1 wrote:
I found nearly the oldest Eneloop AA batteries possible, with mfg. date indicated 2006.
So after literally 20 years I'm getting discharge capacities at .5A of 1.84-1.86Ah or 92-93% of rated.
Sanyo really made those batteries well back then!

EBH




Aug 04, 2026 at 06:24 PM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


My Eneloops, both AAA and AA, will discharge if they’re not used for a few months. I find that periodically recharging them keeps them ready for use.


Aug 05, 2026 at 12:15 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


shutterbug guy wrote:
My Eneloops, both AAA and AA, will discharge if they’re not used for a few months. I find that periodically recharging them keeps them ready for use.


If those are the white cells then it may indicate they are near end of life, have been overcharged/damaged, or are even counterfeit. Don't store them in hot places long term like a vehicle or home garage.

The black Eneloop Pro have shorter life and higher self discharge, but are still classified as LSD.

EBH



Aug 05, 2026 at 09:10 AM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Amazing Eneloop Longevity


EB-1 wrote:
If those are the white cells then it may indicate they are near end of life, have been overcharged/damaged, or are even counterfeit. Don't store them in hot places long term like a vehicle or home garage.

The black Eneloop Pro have shorter life and higher self discharge, but are still classified as LSD.

EBH


I’m using a SKYRC NC1600 smart charger, and it’s pretty good at maintaining batteries and identifying the bad ones, usually the white ones. Living in Thailand, they offer white and black Eneloops. The white ones used to be available at the 7-11s, but now black and white colors are offered on Lazada and Shopee (similar to Amazon, but local). The blue ones must have been purchased from Amazon, iirc, and I noticed that they are no longer available.

After many years of successful use, I haven’t noticed or suspected counterfeits, as I buy only locally sourced from Bangkok or Amazon.



Aug 05, 2026 at 03:57 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account