p.2 #1 · Solo or Small Tour Operators in Scotland?
Al Trujillo wrote:
I hadn't heard of Autumn school breaks before so thanks for this. Here's what I found:
"Autumn Half-Term 2026 Dates
• England and Wales: Most schools take a one-week break from October 26 to October 30, 2026.
• Scotland: Scottish schools usually start the academic year earlier in August and hold their autumn half-term break slightly earlier in mid-October (often around the second week of October)."
So I'm guessing it might be best to avoid these weeks...or book quite a bit earlier?
I'll be looking forward to your future thread on your trip.
The thing is that apparently it’s exactly that period that the fall colors are at their best.
p.2 #2 · Solo or Small Tour Operators in Scotland?
gdanmitchell wrote:
A few things:
Thanks for mentioning that autumn school break. I was not aware of that. Related to the seasonal question (and for a future possible trip), if one is interesting in autumn scenes in Scotland… what do folks know about that seasonal transition, both in terms of weather (years, I know, rain) and the potential for color?
The point about “smaller groups” is related to the experience of my wife and I regarding ability to book accommodations in Scotland (and in other European countries). My wife is our “booking agent,” and she has learned that when we book walks (like the Great Glen Walk in Scotland) that opportunities dry up quickly starting a half year or more ahead of time during the busy season. On the other hand, if your “group” is really small (ours is just the two of us) and especially if you can be self-reliant rather than part of a tour, there are more options available. And most people really can successfully visit and travel in Scotland without being part of a group.
(To be fair, not everyone can travel on their own like we do, and tours are a great option for a lot of people, too.)
When we were on Skye earlier this year, we also first looked at Portree since it is seen as the “main city” on the island by many who write about it. But it is also small, crowded, and very expensive. when I write “expensive,” I mean even in the context of Californians (like us) who visit expensive places (like say London and New York) somewhat regularly.
My wife searched around — something she is really good at — and found a small lodge in a more rural locations perhaps a half hour’s drive from Portree. It was quiet, comfortable, accessible, and less expensive. Don’t overlook such opportunities there!...Show more →
Tell your wife to hold on to her itineraries as I may consider purchasing them.
p.2 #3 · Solo or Small Tour Operators in Scotland?
Has anyone here on this thread visited the Military Tattoo parades in Edinburgh? Also, what about a side trip south of Edinburgh to Ribblehead Viaduct before swinging back N-NW to Isle of Skye?