fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Smoky Sunset Show Continues

  
 
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


I know I already posted a few from the previous smoky sunset, but Mother Nature put on another show last night, and I couldn't resist sharing a few more from a different location. The changing layers of smoke created some wild color gradients, and the sunspots were visible for much of the descent.




  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    229mm    f/11.0    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    330mm    f/11.0    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    268mm    f/11.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    268mm    f/11.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    315mm    f/11.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    221mm    f/11.0    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    361mm    f/11.0    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 01, 2026 at 12:44 PM
kirbic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


#1 for the win. I love the way the sun is framed by the trees and clouds. Beautiful.


Jul 01, 2026 at 02:10 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


kirbic wrote:
#1 for the win. I love the way the sun is framed by the trees and clouds. Beautiful.


Thank you, I think #1 is my favorite too. I was driving along a backcountry dirt road on a high mountain ridge, came around the corner and saw the framing through the trees like that and knew that was my shot!



Jul 01, 2026 at 03:32 PM
eapage777
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Can I ask where this was? We were just in Fairplay, CO and the moon was similar last night from the Leadville fire. The sun was too, but the moon being as orange as the sun was new to me.


Jul 01, 2026 at 03:45 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


eapage777 wrote:
Can I ask where this was? We were just in Fairplay, CO and the moon was similar last night from the Leadville fire. The sun was too, but the moon being as orange as the sun was new to me.


Thanks for your comment, it seems where you were the effect was probably even more intense. This series of images was taken at around 11,000 feet on a ridge that separates the Eagle Valley near Vail from the Roaring Fork Valley near Aspen.



Jul 01, 2026 at 05:37 PM
Al Trujillo
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


As a resident of Colorado you've heard it said that 'God is a Bronco's fan and that's why sunsets are orange!'

These are nice. I'll be in Gunnison the next few days looking for similar sunsets.

Al




Jul 01, 2026 at 07:28 PM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


More really beautiful images! Fabulous conditions.... Although I am personally glad to be no where near it. My asthma would be going nuts. My current plan is to be out that way starting in mid September I hope it has cleared by then...


Jul 02, 2026 at 04:16 AM
J. Pow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Those are so crazy good!

Joel



Jul 02, 2026 at 08:30 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Al Trujillo wrote:
As a resident of Colorado you've heard it said that 'God is a Bronco's fan and that's why sunsets are orange!'

These are nice. I'll be in Gunnison the next few days looking for similar sunsets.

Al



Have fun in Gunnison Al! You should get some amazing sunsets plus wildflowers are looking great right now around Gunnison/Crested Butte!



Jul 02, 2026 at 09:46 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


guidostow wrote:
More really beautiful images! Fabulous conditions.... Although I am personally glad to be no where near it. My asthma would be going nuts. My current plan is to be out that way starting in mid September I hope it has cleared by then...


Thank you for the nice comment! Yeah the smoky air is really bad for respiratory issues. I can feel my throat and sinuses burning from breathing it all in constantly. By September, I'm sure things will be cleared up. Monsoon weather is moving in which should help alleviate some of the fires and smoke. September is the best time of the year imo, and hopefully you hit peak fall colors which is usually from Sept. 15-30th.



Jul 02, 2026 at 09:53 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


J. Pow wrote:
Those are so crazy good!

Joel


I appreciate that Joel, thank you! I again went out yesterday and it was even more dramatic, I'll probably post a few of those too. Insane how surreal it looks, almost looks like you're on another planet.



Jul 02, 2026 at 09:55 AM
DistantPlaces
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Love those colours. Also I really appreciate you not just posting one but several of the same scene over time, as there is a strong difference in lighting and colors over the course of the sunset.


Jul 03, 2026 at 06:11 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


DistantPlaces wrote:
Love those colours. Also I really appreciate you not just posting one but several of the same scene over time, as there is a strong difference in lighting and colors over the course of the sunset.


Thank you Michael, I appreciate your nice comment! I'm glad you like the sequence too, I thought each was interesting and unique and told a story of how the event unfolded that evening.



Jul 03, 2026 at 02:12 PM
Jim Dockery
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Another nice set - would make a great dissolve in a slide show


Jul 04, 2026 at 09:25 AM
Al Trujillo
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues



adventure_photo wrote:
Have fun in Gunnison Al! You should get some amazing sunsets plus wildflowers are looking great right now around Gunnison/Crested Butte!


Quite different this year. We’ve been coming to Gunnison / Crested Butte for a number of years and this is the first time I’ve seen so few wildflowers. The best were in hanging pots in CB! The smoke last night from the fire near Ouray chased us indoors a bit early.



Jul 04, 2026 at 10:06 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Jim Dockery wrote:
Another nice set - would make a great dissolve in a slide show


Cheers Jim, thanks and I agree with you. Have a happy 4th!

---------------------------------------------

Al Trujillo wrote:
Quite different this year. We’ve been coming to Gunnison / Crested Butte for a number of years and this is the first time I’ve seen so few wildflowers. The best were in hanging pots in CB! The smoke last night from the fire near Ouray chased us indoors a bit early.


That's interesting Al, sorry the flowers are not that great this year and better in the hanging pots in CB! The lack of moisture this year in Colorado especially last winter is really having an effect on everything including the wildflowers. I wonder if fall colors will also be affected? Well I hope you're still having a good time and finding other things of interest to photograph. Happy 4th!



Jul 04, 2026 at 11:46 AM
Mark Metternich
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Very deep and rich photos. Thank you for sharing them!


Jul 07, 2026 at 10:34 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Mark Metternich wrote:
Very deep and rich photos. Thank you for sharing them!


Thank you Mark, I've seen a few wildfire sunsets but this was one of the better ones I've witnessed. Appreciate your comment!



Jul 07, 2026 at 12:50 PM
guywithgas
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


Great series Scott, rich colors. My fav is #5, it reminds me of the black hole photo that was taken a few years ago by NASA. BTW, what are those spots at the center of the Sun? Sunspots?
Sreedhar



Jul 07, 2026 at 03:08 PM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Smoky Sunset Show Continues


guywithgas wrote:
Great series Scott, rich colors. My fav is #5, it reminds me of the black hole photo that was taken a few years ago by NASA. BTW, what are those spots at the center of the Sun? Sunspots?
Sreedhar


Thanks Sreedhar, I always like hearing your feedback! Yes, those are indeed sunspots! The atmosphere filtered the sun so intensely that they were visible - something I've rarely seen (maybe once before). Very surreal and awe inspiring to witness.



Jul 07, 2026 at 04:25 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account