fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

6 month forced hiatus

  
 
manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 6 month forced hiatus


So right at the beginning of the year I ended up having a nasty accident skiing and a shattered collarbone, 3 broken ribs, and a broken elbow later, I was out of commission. I haven't had a chance to really shoot since then, but I got the all clear to take my pack out so the first chance I got I drove up Mount Lemmon (to escape the heat) and took a short test hike/photo trip. Here are a few from the day:

#1: These trees are a favorite subject of mine:







#2: and this tree was a really tempting target too, especially with the view behind it







#3: another framing of the tree, but with more of the view (and in IR)







#4: I also really like this tree. Here I framed it with the remnants of another tree that didn't survive the fires that swept through this area a few years back







It's great to be back to shooting! As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave



Jul 01, 2026 at 02:14 AM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 6 month forced hiatus


Nice set Dave! Great you are back out there!


Jul 01, 2026 at 03:58 AM
Jim Dockery
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 6 month forced hiatus


Sorry about the accident - I know the feeling. When I tore my ACL a few years ago I missed a year of skiing (first in 50+ years!). I got a Sony A7rV + 200-600mm and took up birding (which I still dabble in).
Nice shots here. #1 is a cool abstract, the long exposure adds to that. The first IR is my favorite though. Glad you are back out there - have a great summer



Jul 01, 2026 at 08:40 AM
adventure_photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 6 month forced hiatus


Great set Dave and sorry about the skiing accident. Glad you're back at it though! Those infrared shots are striking!


Jul 01, 2026 at 12:34 PM
Malka_1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 6 month forced hiatus


So sorry to hear about your accident, glad your are back - your images are a treat for the eye. Especially the last one, very other-worldly.


Jul 01, 2026 at 12:35 PM
manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 6 month forced hiatus


guidostow wrote:
Nice set Dave! Great you are back out there!


---------------------------------------------

Jim Dockery wrote:
Sorry about the accident - I know the feeling. When I tore my ACL a few years ago I missed a year of skiing (first in 50+ years!). I got a Sony A7rV + 200-600mm and took up birding (which I still dabble in).
Nice shots here. #1 is a cool abstract, the long exposure adds to that. The first IR is my favorite though. Glad you are back out there - have a great summer


---------------------------------------------

adventure_photo wrote:
Great set Dave and sorry about the skiing accident. Glad you're back at it though! Those infrared shots are striking!


---------------------------------------------

Malka_1 wrote:
So sorry to hear about your accident, glad your are back - your images are a treat for the eye. Especially the last one, very other-worldly.



Thanks! I appreciate the comments and the encouragement. A life lesson to share: night skiing is a questionable activity.

Dave



Jul 01, 2026 at 03:39 PM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 6 month forced hiatus


manzico_lost wrote:
snip... A life lesson to share: night skiing is a questionable activity.

Dave


As we get older, understanding the right balance between few wonderful but high risk experiences and many (years of) really nice but moderate risk activities gets more important...



Jul 01, 2026 at 06:59 PM
Mark Metternich
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · 6 month forced hiatus


Gosh man, so sorry for the terribly hard challenges! I so relate! Empathy coming from me! I have been though a tsunami of such over the last few years and aside from lots of prayer, I have learned to not think "why me?" But instead "what do I do next?" instead (got that from a Jocko podcast). Sometimes it's a daily challenge, sometimes an hourly one. Stay positive no-matter what!

Those B+W's are incredible!


guidostow wrote:
As we get older, understanding the right balance between few wonderful but high risk experiences and many (years of) really nice but moderate risk activities gets more important...


So true! When young we have all the time in the world to heal with less responsibility. At least myself as I have got older I realize that everyone suffers when we do, and thinking about the effects on everyone. Hopefully we get more wise, kind and understanding of others suffering around us...




Jul 02, 2026 at 09:24 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · 6 month forced hiatus


I also regret your "mishap". Glad to hear, and see, you are mending well!
Your compositions are fantastic Dave!
Dan



Jul 06, 2026 at 11:55 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · 6 month forced hiatus


Danpbphoto wrote:
I also regret your "mishap". Glad to hear, and see, you are mending well!
Your compositions are fantastic Dave!
Dan


Thanks so much Dan!



Jul 15, 2026 at 07:40 PM
manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 6 month forced hiatus


It turns out there was one shot that I remember thinking would be good when I took it, but then I wasn't so sure after I reviewed the photos at home. I decided to process it anyway, and now that I have, I think it might actually be my favorite from that day after all:







Thanks,

Dave



Jul 15, 2026 at 07:41 PM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · 6 month forced hiatus


Mark Metternich wrote:
Gosh man, so sorry for the terribly hard challenges! I so relate! Empathy coming from me! I have been though a tsunami of such over the last few years and aside from lots of prayer, I have learned to not think "why me?" But instead "what do I do next?" instead (got that from a Jocko podcast). Sometimes it's a daily challenge, sometimes an hourly one. Stay positive no-matter what!

Those B+W's are incredible!


So true! When young we have all the time in the world to heal with less responsibility. At least myself as I have got older I
...Show more →


Good words, Mark!

---------------------------------------------

manzico_lost wrote:
It turns out there was one shot that I remember thinking would be good when I took it, but then I wasn't so sure after I reviewed the photos at home. I decided to process it anyway, and now that I have, I think it might actually be my favorite from that day after all:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Arizona-Landscapes/Catalina-Highway/Mount-Lemmon-Vistas/i-MxWLGhN/0/LHGJ7cqfTxJkTFnrQtTrdKnjfP5SwSpq3sbpMN6jt/X5/Priests_of_the_Moon-X5.jpg

Thanks,

Dave


Dave, glad you are healing and were able to get back out there with your camera! I like your work here and that newest one with moon is fantastic 😎



Jul 15, 2026 at 08:02 PM
jaggedhorizon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · 6 month forced hiatus


So sorry to hear about your skiing accident... as a passionate skier I really feel for you.

But what a great return to photography!



Jul 28, 2026 at 05:52 PM
Mark Metternich
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · 6 month forced hiatus


I just had to come back to these and looked at them again by the way. I just absolutely have always loved more surreal approaches to photographing. And these hit the mark! They are the kinds of photos a person could get lost looking into.


Jul 31, 2026 at 02:55 PM
gdanmitchell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · 6 month forced hiatus


These something that really interests me about the first one: Those out of focus plants at the bottom of the frame almost look like more clouds, with the effect that the tall structures are simply in the sky. It works for me.


Jul 31, 2026 at 03:02 PM
manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · 6 month forced hiatus


Ross Martin wrote:
Dave, glad you are healing and were able to get back out there with your camera! I like your work here and that newest one with moon is fantastic 😎


Thanks so much! It 's so funny because that was one where, in the moment I thought "maybe this will be great... or it'll just be blah", and I just rattled off the shot quickly. It was only later, after I had processed the other shots and realized that the contrast of the ferns and trees in and out of sunlight was working so well that there might really be something there.

Dave



Aug 05, 2026 at 04:25 PM
manzico_lost
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · 6 month forced hiatus


jaggedhorizon wrote:
So sorry to hear about your skiing accident... as a passionate skier I really feel for you.

But what a great return to photography!


Thanks, I appreciate that (both the compassion and the complement).

---------------------------------------------

Mark Metternich wrote:
I just had to come back to these and looked at them again by the way. I just absolutely have always loved more surreal approaches to photographing. And these hit the mark! They are the kinds of photos a person could get lost looking into.


You are very kind. Thanks for the wonderful complement.
---------------------------------------------

gdanmitchell wrote:
These something that really interests me about the first one: Those out of focus plants at the bottom of the frame almost look like more clouds, with the effect that the tall structures are simply in the sky. It works for me.


I appreciate that you say that because that's exactly what I was going for. I had to force a long exposure and wait for the wind to really move the ferns at the bottom to get that blur. I wanted it to mirror, somewhat, the blur of the clouds in the sky.

Dave




Aug 05, 2026 at 04:49 PM







FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account