Just discovered a nit. Probably affects all Sony's, but being new to Sony I just noticed it. I adjusted my main menu settings, so copied them from body A and loaded them into my second body, which was easier than readjusting them all a second time. Anyway, the nit -- after processing some images from body B afterward, I noted that the custom file name I had set for body A was copied to body B along with all the other settings. So a heads up on this in case you weren't aware.
Jack Flesher wrote:
Just discovered a nit. Probably affects all Sony's, but being new to Sony I just noticed it. I adjusted my main menu settings, so copied them from body A and loaded them into my second body, which was easier than readjusting them all a second time. Anyway, the nit -- after processing some images from body B afterward, I noted that the custom file name I had set for body A was copied to body B along with all the other settings. So a heads up on this in case you weren't aware.
Yes. I name one of my A1II "A1A", the second A1II as "A1B". Whenever I copy the settings from one camera to another, the first thing I do is to change the camera's name back to before the settings from another camera were uploaded.
Douglas L wrote:
I name one of my A1II "A1A", the second A1II as "A1B"
I was always curious about the use case for this. Even when I had multiple Sony bodies, they were different and ARW sizes differed, and there's always EXIF data. I didn't understand why label files if bodies were 100% identical. I assumed this is something pros use. Can you share? Thx.
old-gregg wrote:
I was always curious about the use case for this. Even when I had multiple Sony bodies, they were different and ARW sizes differed, and there's always EXIF data. I didn't understand why label files if bodies were 100% identical. I assumed this is something pros use. Can you share? Thx.
No pro here. I just want to know which camera the files are coming from. Say if I take 10000 pictures at an airshow among the two A1II cameras, when I upload them to a folder in my computer, it will avoid the possibility of having files with the exact same name like ABC1234 and ABC1234 from two different cameras. I have been using two identical cameras for the same shoots for quite a few years and have always named them differently. The relatively new feature of allowing the transfer of settings of one camera to another identical camera is super convenient. It saves me hours in customizing the second camera. I just need to remember to change the name once the the settings copying is done so I won't end up with file ABC1234 from camera 1 and file ABC1234 from camera 2. Sort of like giving different names to twins.
old-gregg wrote:
I was always curious about the use case for this. Even when I had multiple Sony bodies, they were different and ARW sizes differed, and there's always EXIF data. I didn't understand why label files if bodies were 100% identical. I assumed this is something pros use. Can you share? Thx.
The filename difference groups them separately in the image browser. This makes global adjustments to a given set of images easier. It also makes it easier to spot an issue with a particular body, like something stuck to the sensor.
As @Douglas L mentioned above it prevents accidental file overwrite. Probably a rare occurrence unless you’re shooting two or more of the same body and bought them at nearly the same time as I did. I shoot raw and am often using two bodies side by side, so I’ll load both sets of images into the same shoot folder. Thus the prefix difference prevents any accidental file overwriting if the bodies happen to cross paths on file numbers.
Jack Flesher wrote:
Just discovered a nit. Probably affects all Sony's, but being new to Sony I just noticed it. I adjusted my main menu settings, so copied them from body A and loaded them into my second body, which was easier than readjusting them all a second time. Anyway, the nit -- after processing some images from body B afterward, I noted that the custom file name I had set for body A was copied to body B along with all the other settings. So a heads up on this in case you weren't aware.
This has been a problem for almost 20 years with many cameras. I sometimes forgot to change the name after loading the CAMSET from one body to another. I don't know why camera makers do this. I want to know which camera was which on a shoot, for example if one is acting up or there is a dirt spot on the sensor.
BigBabyMoses06 wrote:
Anyone know how a piece of dust could get under the sensor glass? I have a nice little round spec on(under) my sensor glass, noticed in my photos last night. Pretty baffled...and a bit anxious on what this might cost to clean or repair. I cleaned the sensor top several times to no avail. Kicking myself for buying used this time 🫪
For what is worth, this happened to me on my A7R V. Sony Nordic called it normal "wear and tear" but the seller covered a full sensor/ shutter assembly replacement. Most recently, I had a random encounter and friendly discussion over drinks with someone working at a camera repair center in another European country that they also act as the local Sony authorized repair center.
He more or less told me that Sony cameras with a ultrasonic sensor cleaning function are more subject to getting dust under their sensor glass. Not that it happens frequently enough to warrant a public outcry, but it does so more frequently than from other Sony models and from other brands (except in the case of the first two gens of Fujifilm cameras). Essentially, if you use a rocket blower to blow air against the sensor, there is a very small chance of creating enough negative pressure within the sensor chamber to lift the protective glass and get dust underneath it. I believe that's what happened to me as I was removing a different piece of dust from the sensor using a filtered air blower –and that's how I cleaned countless sensors in the past, including from an A7 IV with no issues. The guy added that he thinks that with some zooms lenses pump enough air that may cause it during normal use too, but it is far far less likely. A quick search and you will find posts about A1s and A7R Vs with the same issue, but not for the third-gen or A7R IV cameras.
To be clear, Sony has not acknowledged this as an issue AFAIK; neither in their tech manuals nor in public. It is simply the observations provided by a third party. With that said, ever since, I am more inclined to go straight to a wet clean or use a SensorKlear from LensPen than use a rocket blower. I had no issues ever since. None of my friends and family who use Sony gear had this either, but I had long time now advised them against using air blowers on their sensors.
Recklesscoding wrote:
For what is worth, this happened to me on my A7R V. Sony Nordic called it normal "wear and tear" but the seller covered a full sensor/ shutter assembly replacement. Most recently, I had a random encounter and friendly discussion over drinks with someone working at a camera repair center in another European country that they also act as the local Sony authorized repair center.
He more or less told me that in Sony cameras with ultrasonic sensor cleaning are subject to dust under the glass. Not that it happens frequently enough to warrant public outcry, but it does so more frequently than with other Sony models and other brands (except in the case of the first two gens of Fujifilm cameras). Essentially, if you use a rocket blower to blow air against the sensor, there is a very small chance of creating enough negative pressure within the sensor chamber to lift the protective glass and get dust underneath it. I believe that's what happened to me as I was removing a different piece of dust from the sensor using a filtered air blower –and that's how I cleaned countless sensors in the past, including from an A7 IV with no issues. The guy added that he thinks that with some zooms lenses pump enough air that may cause it during normal use too, but it is far far less likely. A quick search and you will find posts about A1s and A7R Vs with the same issue, but not for the third-gen or A7R IV cameras.
To be clear, Sony has not acknowledged this as an issue AFAIK; neither in their tech manuals nor in public. It is simply the observations provided by a third party. With that said, ever since, I am more inclined to go straight to a wet clean or use a SensorKlear from LensPen than use a rocket blower. I had no issues ever since. None of my friends and family who use Sony gear had this either, but I had long time now advised them against using air blowers on their sensors....Show more →
If Sony acknowledged it happens with auto sensor shake clean, then that's the likely answer. If I had it happen knowing this, I'd look into how I handled my gear. Did I regularly leave the camera body without a cap or lens on it and/or did I regularly store my lenses without putting rear caps on them; is the inside of my camera bag full of dust and lint or did I stuff a dusty jacket inside my bag on top of my gear?
I started early in digital and am probably more anal in this regard than most, doing my best to limit body or rear lens "open" time. Back then, we learned how to use sensor swabs and what the best cleaning fluids were. And we carried them with us. Since auto shake clean became a thing, I've had very few dust or even spotting issues -- in fact, I rarely blow my body interiors now unless I feel I've exposed it in some bad environment. I do tend to blow and wipe the exteriors of my body and lenses, and then blow both ends of my lenses; and typically at the end of every day in the field when I'm back in my room. I learned long ago in film days that this practice helped keep a lot of crap out of the inside of my camera and so still adhere to it. FWIW...
If Sony acknowledged it happens with auto sensor shake clean, then that's the likely answer. If I had it happen knowing this, I'd look into how I handled my gear. Did I regularly leave the camera body without a cap or lens on it and/or did I regularly store my lenses without putting rear caps on them; is the inside of my camera bag full of dust and lint or did I stuff a dusty jacket inside my bag on top of my gear?
I started early in digital and am probably more anal in this regard than most, doing my best to limit body or rear lens "open" time. Back then, we learned how to use sensor swabs and what the best cleaning fluids were. And we carried them with us. Since auto shake clean became a thing, I've had very few dust or even spotting issues -- in fact, I rarely blow my body interiors now unless I feel I've exposed it in some bad environment. I do tend to blow and wipe the exteriors of my body and lenses, and then blow both ends of my lenses; and typically at the end of every day in the field when I'm back in my room. I learned long ago in film days that this practice helped keep a lot of crap out of the inside of my camera and so still adhere to it. FWIW... ...Show more →
Apologies if not clear: the above is not an acknowledgement by Sony but just the observations of someone working at Sony cameras for a living.
I really baby my gear when it comes to dust ever since I moved to mirrorless back in 2013. Beyond using caps or lenses on, I also regularly clean my bags with lint roller and avoid any chances in open complete open air. For the longest time, this worked as Olympus has IMO the best ultrasonic cleaning function in the industry (and a thick sensor glass that makes it hard to notice any dust ). I only got dust like 2 times in 6 years –and the built-in cleaning function was enough in one of those two times. My most 'dust-attracting camera' has been my X-PRO3. I also found Nikon Z quite prone to dust on the sensors.
Recklesscoding wrote:
Apologies if not clear: the above is not an acknowledgement by Sony but just the observations of someone working at Sony cameras for a living.
I really baby my gear when it comes to dust ever since I moved to mirrorless back in 2013. Beyond using caps or lenses on, I also regularly clean my bags with lint roller and avoid any chances in open complete open air. For the longest time, this worked as Olympus has IMO the best ultrasonic cleaning function in the industry (and a thick sensor glass that makes it hard to notice any dust ). I only got dust like 2 times in 6 years –and the built-in cleaning function was enough in one of those two times. My most 'dust-attracting camera' has been my X-PRO3. I also found Nikon Z quite prone to dust on the sensors. ...Show more →
I have the automatic shake clean set to work at every power down.
Whoa. That's really disappointing to hear. I have my shutter close on power down, will look at the shake clean. If they don't cover it and tell me I'm SOL, or want to charge an arm and a leg, I will probably go back to Canon if I'm being honest. Idk, I would have a lot of thinking to do.
I only need the camera for one more senior session, and then I'm filing the repair ticket, I'll keep yall updated.
BigBabyMoses06 wrote:
Whoa. That's really disappointing to hear. I have my shutter close on power down, will look at the shake clean. If they don't cover it and tell me I'm SOL, or want to charge an arm and a leg, I will probably go back to Canon if I'm being honest. Idk, I would have a lot of thinking to do.
I only need the camera for one more senior session, and then I'm filing the repair ticket, I'll keep yall updated.
Please post back! In any case, like with e.g. dust in lenses, this is not a major issue and rarely noticeable in real world shooting.S**t can happen. Personally, what really pissed me off was Sony's response. I hope that your local Sony repair center is more reasonable.
As I have mentioned, this happened a lot with Fujis –especially with the X-PRO1 and X-T2. However, in all cases Fuji cleaned the sensors for free. At least for a friend of mine, they even cleaned his out-of-warranty X-T2 for free. An hour ago, I had an agent running Anthropic's Fable doing a bit of crawling across multiple forums for similar instances on Canon and Nikon mirrorless systems, but it found nothing that could be confirmed as dust under the glass. It found a couple of Canon and Nikon posts who had other sensor issues out of the box or scratched sensors but warranties were honored were applicable.
So again, Sony's response is the real shame for me. I really love the 70-200mm GM II and the 35mm GM is one of my favorite primes of all time. Heck, I even prefer the original 85mm GM f/1.4 over my Nikon Z S 85mm f/1.2 even though the Nikkor is the optically superior lens in test charts and is faster. I just sold my Z8 and I want to get the A7R VI (hence, why I was lurking in this thread) –and the wonderful images posted here really do make a strong case for it— but my past experience with Sony's support kinda puts me off even if the chances of this occurring are slim and your dust case is the only A7R VI case that I have found.
Can you see any image quality improvement over any Nikon 45MP Body ?
Because if Nikon will not make similar new body to Nikon Z7 II I may think about switching to Sony
Jack Flesher wrote:
Sorry, shutter when power off is what I meant. My Fuji's and IIRC Nikons both allowed the auto clean with Power down.
The sensor shaker, i.e., anti-dust function, is included in the a7r VI. It is automatic and aparently not as strong as some noisier ones like Canon. You can also engage it manually per the sensor cleaning function.
PIOK wrote:
Can you see any image quality improvement over any Nikon 45MP Body ?
Because if Nikon will not make similar new body to Nikon Z7 II I may think about switching to Sony
In some extreme cases, when comparing my Z8 to the A7R V output, I find that the latter is better. Mostly when you need to squeeze out every bit of dynamic range like in astrophotography. The Z7 II was meant to be the king of dynamic range until the A7R VI arrived, but its AF is quite bad.
My main issue with the Z8, other than its size and weight, is that quite often the camera will focus on the eyelashes rather than the eye itself. Particularly with the Z 24-70mm f/2.8. Oddly enough, this happens less with my Zf but also being 'only' 24mpxl maybe my expectations are lower. On animals/ birds, the AF is excellent but I rarely do wildlife —unless if my German Shepherd counts as wildlife .
Going back to its size and weight, to be honest that's mostly because my own priorities have changed. I travel more now so something smaller but equal good to the Z8 is needed so to have it in my business backpack. If a Z7 III was out now, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Since it is not out, I am looking again at Sony, Canon, and Panasonic.