fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              end
  

What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:

  
 
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:


Summer 2010: My wife gave me a bag of pre-owned Canon stuff, that she had bought from a colleague. Digital Rebel XTi, a.k.a. 400D, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Pro AT-X, and a 580EX Speedlight, plus a forgettable off-brand zoom.

September 2010: Canon 40D, because the XTi was too dinky for my hands, plus, I wanted some degree of weather-sealing, because, by this time, I had the added duty of evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography.

November 2010: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, for its weather-sealing, IS, and fast AF. I was about to shoot an assignment from a police helicopter. This lens purchase firmly established Canon EOS EF as my first primary system.

Late 2010: Canon 7D, new, with EF 28-135mm kit lens.

2011: Second Canon 7D.

~2011/~2012: Canon 5D, pre-owned.

~2012/~2013: Canon EF 1D Mark II N, pre-owned.

September 2014: 7D Mark II, soon followed by a second one. Both new.

Early 2016: Canon 5Ds R.

Unknown Time, before September 2017: EOS M3, pre-owned. Hurricane Harvey drowned it, which is how I know I had it before then.

March 2018: Canon 5D Mark IV.

July 2024 or 2025: Second 5D Mark IV. my first one had gotten wet, and needed to dry-out. I no longer needed cameras for police duty, because I had retired in 2018, but we were doing some serious "citizen scientist" work, documenting insect species.

Summer 2018: Pre-owned 1Ds Mark III, for about $900 US, because it was the hotness in 2010, when I could not afford the $8K US to buy one new.

No RF, yet. Canon EF remains my macro system, but I gradually shifted more to Nikon cameras, because my wife only uses Nikon, and is the more-senior photographer, by far. It makes sense for most of our serious lenses to be Nikon-mount,



Sep 24, 2026 at 10:08 AM
torstenb
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:


Mid/late 1980s: Canon AE-1 Programm
Started with photography as a teenager in the mid/late 1980s using my dads AE-1 Program and a 50mm.
At my school a teacher was running an extracurricular photography group for interested students. He setup a small b/w lab,
we rolled our own film capsules and did b/w prints.

When I left school my photography came to a halt as I couldn't setup a lab at home. After moving across the country I didn't even have a camera anymore.
10-12 years later I was visiting a friend on another continent. His wife had an old Canon AE-1. So I bought 2 rolls of film and added that as an enjoyment to my vacation.

Around 2001/2002 I got the itch again. Setting up a lab still wasn't possible, but digital happened.

Around 2001/2002: Canon Powershot G2

From there it escalated

July 2003: EOS 10D, bought

July 2005: EOS 1D Mark II, rented for a weekend

November 2005: EOS 5D
Finally full frame, somewhat affordable, unlike the 1Ds

December 2012: EOS 5D Mark III

May 2016: EOS 5Ds
The 5Ds was (still is) great for my landscape, architecture photography, but for objects with significant movements it's AF was a pain. Continued using my older 5D3 for that for a while until:

Januar 2018: EOS 5D Mark IV
Used it primarily for more "active" subjects, which often is ~50 of my photographic subjects. Also loving the build in GPS.

Been using the combo of the 5D Mark IV and 5Ds depending on what I was shooting.

August 2024: EOS R5 Mark II
(Almost) the best of both worlds for me and improved usability a lot where I didn't expect it to.

I still occassionally use my 5DS and 5D Mark IV. The latter accompanies me when doing more "reporting style" photography at events (for fun) and I want a second camera in order to avoid changing lenses too often.


Not sure what would drive me to upgrade.

More pixels? Yes, but I dread s/n ratio and/or in in-camera noise reduction being even overly agressive. Or speed (AF, fps) being significantly lower than that of the R5 Mark II.

Built-in GPS? Yes, likely

Improved ergonomics w/ a body with a "build in" grip: Yes.
Renting the 1D II in 2005 was revelation in terms of ergonomics. My hands are relatively large and I've been using all my EOS bodies with a grip for improved usability. Could use them without, but it's better with a grip for me. That's different with the R5 Mark II, which is so small that it's not really useable without a grip for me. However, that grip is still an add-on, with all the inherent compromises of that approach.

Edited on Sep 25, 2026 at 11:11 AM · View previous versions



Sep 25, 2026 at 01:51 AM
robinlee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:


Don't exactly remember the timeline but here we go:

2010 5D classic
2015 5DsR
2020 Sony A9
2021 R5
2024 R5 Mk II
Near future, Bye Canon, Hello Sony A1 II



Sep 25, 2026 at 08:20 AM
traveler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:


I always buy new so:

D30 when released.
1D when released
R5
R5II



Sep 30, 2026 at 08:11 PM
Rivermist
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · What is your Canon Family Tree / Genealogy? Here is mine:


Film
Canon FTb (1970)
Canon Dial 35-2
Canon F-1
Canon A-1 (never replaced the F-1, just complemented it)
Canon Photura 35-105mm
Digital
Canon Powershot Digital Elph
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel XTi
Canon 40D
Canon Powershot Pro 1
Canon 5D
Canon 7D
Canon 5D mk3
Canon 6D
Canon Powershot N
Canon G7 mk2 *
Canon SL-1
Canon RP
Canon R6 mk2 *
Canon R8 *
* = currently in use



Oct 04, 2026 at 10:09 PM
1       2       3       …       5              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account