fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

Leica SL3 or SL3-S?

  
 
Jorge Torralba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


Depends on what you prioritize. I chose an s over the p for my shooting style

https://www.leicaimages.com/showstory.php?storyid=25




Oct 05, 2026 at 12:24 AM
tzhang4284
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


I'm still happy with my Leica SL3-S however the P is definitely calling to me. I'm rationalizing not buying up based on 1) slightly better video rolling shutter performance and 2) it's my secondary camera compared to my Leica M


Oct 05, 2026 at 01:52 AM
JMPerona
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?




tzhang4284 wrote:
I'm still happy with my Leica SL3-S however the P is definitely calling to me. I'm rationalizing not buying up based on 1) slightly better video rolling shutter performance and 2) it's my secondary camera compared to my Leica M


I’m trying to rationalize the buying of a Leica SL3 in comparison to other brands like Sony. I can get a Sony A7R V for $2000 less etc. but oh the Leicas! I had the SL2-S and I loved it! I have tried early every camera out there and the one I always have the eyes for is the Leica.



Oct 05, 2026 at 02:04 AM
tzhang4284
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


JMPerona wrote:
I’m trying to rationalize the buying of a Leica SL3 in comparison to other brands like Sony. I can get a Sony A7R V for $2000 less etc. but oh the Leicas! I had the SL2-S and I loved it! I have tried early every camera out there and the one I always have the eyes for is the Leica.


I was a heavy Sony user before I switched to Leica - last Sony mirrorless camera I had was the Sony A7RV actually so I can share some thoughts.

The main reason in my opinion to own the Leica SL series of cameras is to use the Leica SL APO lenses. There is a richness in the colors, contrast and sharpness that I just don't see with other lenses including Sony GM lenses - the closest I thought was the Sony 50mm f1.2 GM. I also have a couple of Sigma lenses - it's pretty good with it too - maybe somewhat better color science than Sony but it's not as jaw dropping as the combination of the SL APO lenses + SL sensor. I see a difference even at 24mp.

On a secondary level, the ergonomics on the Leica SL work a lot better for me than Sony ever did - the Sony cameras had deep grips but were always a pinky short for me which I found annoying.

Overall I'm happy with the Leica SL transition - it's the closest to medium format while having all the usability benefits of full frame (e.g. usable video). I gave the GFX100RF a spin but I didn't find the image quality to be better than what the SL APO lenses can deliver unless I'm pixel peeping details.

I'll probably eventually given in and upgrade to the SL3-P for the extra megapixels but not in a rush.



Oct 05, 2026 at 02:37 AM
flash
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


JMPerona wrote:
I’m trying to rationalize the buying of a Leica SL3 in comparison to other brands like Sony. I can get a Sony A7R V for $2000 less etc. but oh the Leicas! I had the SL2-S and I loved it! I have tried early every camera out there and the one I always have the eyes for is the Leica.


I have most of the recent cameras in every brand except Nikon. They’re all incredibly capable. Sensible people just get the stunning Sony A7Riv or R5ii. There’s little logic behind buying any Leica on performance spec alone. The only thing would be that although most cameras are weather sealed, I trust my SL’s anywhere.

But really IQ is a given. The only differentiator is UI, menus and handling. While I really like the capabilities of my A7R5/6 I don’t enjoy the UI and menus at all, really. They have no *X* factor. Which is fine. I much prefer shooting with my SL3’s by some margin and if I have the lenses required that’s what I do. But it’s for each individual to decide how much, if any, the Leica experience is worth the high cost.

Gordon



Oct 05, 2026 at 03:42 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

flash
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


RustyBug wrote:
S1R II remains an alternate option.

Cover glass might be a bit thicker than the SL series, but thinner than a Sony (SL2-S is thinnest of the L's iirc). So, depending on lenses being used (i.e. wide M lenses), this could be a consideration, but I've not really experienced anything problematic so far with my 35 cron or 24 Elmarit or 50 VM's.


The S1Rii is very capable. In a few ways (pre capture, efcs) more so than the SL3-P. I just don’t like using it though. When it was the only choice I put up with it. Other than a cursory comparison to the Leica I haven’t picked mine up since getting the SL3-P.

Gordon



Oct 05, 2026 at 03:45 AM
SlowDriver
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


flash wrote:
I have most of the recent cameras in every brand except Nikon. They’re all incredibly capable. Sensible people just get the stunning Sony A7Riv or R5ii. There’s little logic behind buying any Leica on performance spec alone. The only thing would be that although most cameras are weather sealed, I trust my SL’s anywhere.

But really IQ is a given. The only differentiator is UI, menus and handling. While I really like the capabilities of my A7R5/6 I don’t enjoy the UI and menus at all, really. They have no *X* factor. Which is fine. I much prefer shooting with my
...Show more →

I agree that IQ is no longer a differentiator, but I would say that (in addition to UI) size/weight and cost still remain differentiators as well. If Hasselblad did not have the P and V lenses I would probably still be shooting the SL. Leica seems to have realized that but it is going to take them 5-10 years to catch up and have a decent set of lower weight Leica designed lenses available. And why is there still no compact L-mount body (with EVF)?



Oct 05, 2026 at 08:40 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


flash wrote:
The S1Rii is very capable. In a few ways (pre capture, efcs) more so than the SL3-P. I just don’t like using it though. When it was the only choice I put up with it. Other than a cursory comparison to the Leica I haven’t picked mine up since getting the SL3-P.

Gordon


Understood.

In the end, I may "get there" ... the SL3-P, that is .



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:38 PM
flash
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · Leica SL3 or SL3-S?


SlowDriver wrote:
I agree that IQ is no longer a differentiator, but I would say that (in addition to UI) size/weight and cost still remain differentiators as well. If Hasselblad did not have the P and V lenses I would probably still be shooting the SL. Leica seems to have realized that but it is going to take them 5-10 years to catch up and have a decent set of lower weight Leica designed lenses available. And why is there still no compact L-mount body (with EVF)?


Absolutely. Size and weight especially. I’m not particularly price sensitive for cameras and lenses but most are. I too would love a Q’ish sized L mount camera. I’d be happy to pair it with the wonderful Sigma primes. But I don’t know how Leica do this without destroying M, Q and SL sales. I would also be very happy with a Q3-90.

At the same time I want the SL3-P to be as big as it is because I’m far more likely to use longer lenses on it. A Q sized body doesn’t work with a 300-600 on it.

I’m hearing the new 50 Summilux SL is spectacular. It’ll be popular if it actually is. And the 28-70 f2.8 is a great size and my copy is excellent. It’s also fully weather eased unlike the SIgma variant. OTOH I’d really like to see Leica do something like Sony’s spectacular f2 zooms. And upgrade the AF motors on the excellent but slow AF of the 90-280.

IMHO, Hasselblad have nailed the ergonomics. While the X1D cameras were slightly better, the X2D’s trade offs (IBIS etc) are worth it. For current cameras it’s the most comfortable and usable camera on the market today. It feels lighter in the hand than it actually is. And yes the V and P lenses are a winner for weight and usability. But I pine for a longer zoom. I tend to use primes in places I know and zooms for new travel spots. There’s a rumour of a new 135/TC coming, which’s be great if they can shrink it a bit. But I’d rather a zoom in that range even if it’s slower. Apparently a new 65 is also on the way (f1.7). I do like a fast 50.

I should clarify that, that’s for general shooting and travel. For wildlife, I do prefer my Sony bodies to the SL3-P. It’s the one situation where the buttons all work for me, rather than against me. The encyclopaedic menus do mean I can have my quick setting exactly how I want them. What, to me, is a hindrance for general shooting, is an advantage for wildlife. It’s also the only place I like a vertical grip on a camera. Apart from some extra functionality like pre-capture and quick function settings I’d actually like one more button on the top right of the SL3-P to make it right for wildlife. But mostly it’ll be the fast read sensor of my A1ii that keeps me locked into Sony for wildlife. And the new long lenses Sony seems to release every other month.

Gordon



Oct 05, 2026 at 03:47 PM
1              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account