fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              end
  

Canon RF 45mm f/1.2

  
 
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


takowasa wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "light gathering". For the same scene and shutter speed, f/1.2 on FF will put 2.5x more light on the sensor than it will on crop. However, the FF sensor has 2.5x the area, so the amount of light per area will be the same. With regards to the ISO setting, then, it's the amount of light per area that matters, not the total amount of light on the sensor. But with regards to noise, what matters is the total amount of light on the sensor, not the amount of light per area (regardless of
...Show more →

I'm going to have to work through this for a minute, because I'm sure you're not saying what I think you're saying. And I'm not quite sure what I even think you're saying, but that's on me.

I'll use a practical example (and the basis of me using the 200-800 on the R5 versus the 100-500 on the R7)

800 on the full frame body gives a pretty close framing to 500 mm on a crop body.

So I use 800 on my R5 for birding rather than 500 on my R7 which would frame equally so the bird makes up a similar amount of the final image.

Now, at 800, the 200-800 gives a maximum aperture of f/9
at 500 mm, the 100-500 gives a maximum aperture of f/7.1

So, a win for the 100-500 based on max aperture, but hang on.

We want equivalent exposure, obviously, and we want a shutter speed of 1/2000 so the twitchy little bird stands a chance of not having motion blur. (we can tweak that shutter speed to help out with ISO if the subject is in too dark an area, of course).

Let's say it's a bright, shadowy area where the bird is located, so we will have the following settings to achieve 1/2000 shutter speed with the respective cameras, the R5 at 800 mm f/9 and the R7 at 500 mm f/7.1.

For an EV of, say, 12, at f/7.1, the ISO setting would be approx 2500
For an EV of 12 at f/9, the ISO setting would be approximately 4000

So, as we already had figured, a 2/3 stop difference in aperture results in a 2/3 stop difference in ISO setting.

Now, we think that the R5 loses here, higher ISO = higher noise. BUT....

If we look at the DR chart vs ISO on Photonstophotos.net comparing the R5 and R7, we see that the R7 has a photographic DR of about 6.3 at ISO 2546, so roughly 2500, whereas the R5 has a photographic DR of 6.93 at 4022, or roughly ISO 4000. In fact, to match the PDR of the R7 at 2500 ISO, the R5 can be at ISO 6400.

So while I lose 2/3 of a stop of aperture with the 800, the R5 is about 1 1/3 stops cleaner in terms of PDR compared to the R7, resulting in a somewhat cleaner image.

We can throw a lot of abstracts in there, a lot of variables (if we crop to match framing, etc.) but in practical use, the R5, as long as the entire sensor is used, gives a cleaner image than the R7.



Aug 09, 2026 at 11:46 AM
takowasa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Tom_W wrote:
I'm going to have to work through this for a minute, because I'm sure you're not saying what I think you're saying. And I'm not quite sure what I even think you're saying, but that's on me.

I'll use a practical example (and the basis of me using the 200-800 on the R5 versus the 100-500 on the R7)

800 on the full frame body gives a pretty close framing to 500 mm on a crop body.


Should be exactly the same, actually.

So I use 800 on my R5 for birding rather than 500 on my R7 which would frame equally so the bird makes up a similar amount of the final image.

Yes.

Now, at 800, the 200-800 gives a maximum aperture of f/9
at 500 mm, the 100-500 gives a maximum aperture of f/7.1

So, a win for the 100-500 based on max aperture, but hang on.

We want equivalent exposure, obviously, and we want a shutter speed of 1/2000 so the twitchy little bird stands a chance of not having motion blur. (we can tweak that shutter speed to help out with ISO if the subject is in too dark an area, of course).

Let's say it's a bright, shadowy area where the bird is located, so we will have the following settings to achieve 1/2000
...Show more →

For the same scene and shutter, yes.

Now, we think that the R5 loses here, higher ISO = higher noise. BUT....

If we look at the DR chart vs ISO on Photonstophotos.net comparing the R5 and R7, we see that the R7 has a photographic DR of about 6.3 at ISO 2546, so roughly 2500, whereas the R5 has a photographic DR of 6.93 at 4022, or roughly ISO 4000. In fact, to match the PDR of the R7 at 2500 ISO, the R5 can be at ISO 6400.


Quick note: [P]DR is a tricky subject in and of itself. Many conflate DR with noise, but, while related, they are the not the same thing. However, that's a whole other discussion.

So while I lose 2/3 of a stop of aperture with the 800, the R5 is about 1 1/3 stops cleaner in terms of PDR compared to the R7, resulting in a somewhat cleaner image.

It's possible the R5 sensor is a little "cleaner" than the R7 sensor, and that gives the R5 a slight advantage for equivalent photos.

We can throw a lot of abstracts in there, a lot of variables (if we crop to match framing, etc.) but in practical use, the R5, as long as the entire sensor is used, gives a cleaner image than the R7.

I would like to say at least as clean (and detailed) so long as you use a lens that is just as sharp, gives the same angle of view, and has the same (or faster) equivalent f-stop. But if using the same lens on both cameras, the R7 would most likely come out on top if cropping the R5 to get the same framing as you'd get with the R7.




Aug 10, 2026 at 12:04 AM
serhan_
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Gordon's Canon EF 50mm f1.2L vs RF 45 f1.2 review comparison:



James Reader comparison of RF vs EF 1.2 lenses:




Aug 10, 2026 at 05:58 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #4 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


The basic consensus is that the 45/1.2 has nearly the same rendering as the EF 50L, but is a bit sharper. I can attest, though it has been a while since I used the EF50L. I’m really enjoying my 45.


Aug 11, 2026 at 06:51 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Jman13 wrote:
The basic consensus is that the 45/1.2 has nearly the same rendering as the EF 50L, but is a bit sharper. I can attest, though it has been a while since I used the EF50L. I’m really enjoying my 45.


It seems to me that the rendering is a bit different in examples I see, although I would love to see direct comparisons. The 45 f/1.2 seems to have more vignetting and therefore the outer frame is more affected at wider apertures. I think you see the extension of the cat's eye squishing of out of focus highlights further into the frame and I also think a more swirly bokeh. I also wonder if field curvature is the same and suspect it is not.



Aug 11, 2026 at 07:46 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #6 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


The direct comparisons are in those two videos. Are the renderings identical? No. Are they very similar? Yes.


Aug 11, 2026 at 10:00 AM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #7 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


takowasa wrote:
But if using the same lens on both cameras, the R7 would most likely come out on top if cropping the R5 to get the same framing as you'd get with the R7.



The R7 sensor is fairly outdated; it's questionable that Canon put it in a '7'-series body to begin with given how slow it reads out.

It's also relatively noisy.

I'd expect better final detail at same (not equivalent) apertures on a full-frame RF body.



Aug 11, 2026 at 12:37 PM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #8 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Jman13 wrote:
The basic consensus is that the 45/1.2 has nearly the same rendering as the EF 50L, but is a bit sharper. I can attest, though it has been a while since I used the EF50L. I’m really enjoying my 45.


I have both the 45/1.2 and the EF 50/1.2L - indeed, the 45 does carry sharpness a bit farther away from the center. And wide open, it's sharper to start with right in the center.

But the bokeh on the old 50/1.2 is slightly smoother than the 45. And there is a little more color separation/fringing on very strong highlights with the 45. That's based on my personal testing of subjects at fairly close distance in the curio cabinet at home.

I would say that the 45 is a little more all-purpose whereas the old 50 has more of a portrait oriented bias.



Aug 11, 2026 at 01:10 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #9 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Jman13 wrote:
The direct comparisons are in those two videos. Are the renderings identical? No. Are they very similar? Yes.


Similar is of course subjective. I don't find them that similar, but YMMV and probably does. That is fine and by more direct comparisons I mean with stills not videos. I much prefer to compare lenses and especially renderings when they aren't in videos.



Aug 11, 2026 at 02:50 PM
Glenn Poulain
Offline
•
[X]
p.7 #10 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


That sounds like a really nice little setup. A compact f/1.2 that still feels light is pretty impressive. The slower AF seems like a fair tradeoff for that kind of glass, especially if you're mostly shooting subjects that aren't moving much. And I don't blame you on the OEM hood 😂


Aug 25, 2026 at 05:13 PM
msadat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #11 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


so regardless of the price if u have a choice between 50mm 1.4 and and this one?


Aug 26, 2026 at 05:51 PM
takowasa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #12 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


msadat wrote:
so regardless of the price if u have a choice between 50mm 1.4 and and this one?


Not sure who you're asking, but I'll answer as if you were asking me. Hands down the RF 50 / 1.4 VCM over the 45 / 1.2. Not even a question -- IF we're talking "regardless of price". In fact, I'd still choose the RF 50 / 1.4 VCM even given the differences in price. But, I can see someone preferring the 45 / 1.2 over the 50 / 1.4 VCM -- after all, I prefer the RF 70-200 / 4L IS over the RF 70-200 / 2.8L IS due to the differences in size, weight, and the zoom ring. Even at the same price, I'd take the former over the latter. But, again, with regards to the 45 / 1.2 vs 50 / 1.4 VCM, the latter, hands down, even considering the difference in price.



Aug 27, 2026 at 03:11 AM
Hairy Heron
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #13 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


msadat wrote:
so regardless of the price if u have a choice between 50mm 1.4 and and this one?


If money is no object then the only area where the RF 45 1.2 beats the RF 50 1.4 is weight. So if weight is first priority then RF 45. If 2x the weight is worth better AF, bokeh, sharpness, and uniformly creamy backgrounds then RF 50 1.4.

I have the RF 45 myself, enjoy it for its novelty and accept its drawbacks. I'd love the RF 50 1.4, especially for video, but as wildlife shooter my big dollar money goes to long lenses that I know I'll use regularly.



Sep 07, 2026 at 01:51 PM
JohnDizzo15
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #14 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


It's not the sharpest nor the fastest focusing, but it fits what I need it for on my RF system when I need a fast prime in that focal range, as I have various other options at 35, 40, and 50 across multiple systems when I need something different. Some recent shots.

Canon RF 45/1.2 by John Dizzo, on Flickr
Canon RF 45/1.2 by John Dizzo, on Flickr



Sep 08, 2026 at 01:09 AM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #15 · Canon RF 45mm f/1.2


Rain or shine, we keep the wheels alive!

Shot at f/1.2



Carrera 4s 991.1 by Elijah Lisyany, on Flickr



Oct 04, 2026 at 09:18 PM
1       2       3       …       6              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account