fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod

  
 
silverbullet07
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


I just purchased the Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod (2024 release) and it seems built really well. The web site is very easy to navigate and parts are available on line. Seems like a good company and this tripod is build very well. Seems very sturdy and ridged. Came with a nice case and rubber and spike feet. Little bigger then I thought it would be.

I got the LH47 Ball head and it seems smooth and easy to adjust with my Canon 5D Mark IV with a Tamaron 125-600 lens.

I would not consider this a tripod for hiking but it will be nice to have in you vehicle to pull out when needed for heavier equipment.

This is the first tripod I've had with no center column so I will have to get use that. They do offer a two piece center column that screws onto the top plate and then you attach the ball head to it. This seems plenty tall now so I will see if that is needed as time goes.

Got this 20% off during father's day. Total cost $407.20.

LS-364CX Tripod + LH-47 Screw-Knob Ballhead:

Max. height: 1575mm / 62.01''
Min. height: 188mm / 7.40''
Folded length: 638mm / 25.12''
Leg Section: 4
Max load: 25kg / 55lb
Weight: 2.41kg / 5.31lb

Leg Tube Sizes: 36/32/28/25mm



Jun 19, 2025 at 01:37 PM
Jeffrey
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


I own four Leofoto tripods and two monopods and they are fabulous, especially for the price. I'll say that they stand up to the RRS and Gitzo equivalent models, though I'll surely get bashed for saying that here. I have Leofoto, RRS and Arca heads on them and they work very well. The leg locks are secure and release fully with only a partial turn. Good tactility. Light. Sturdy.


Jun 21, 2025 at 10:18 PM
Flyer73
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Choosing between Leofoto LS-364CX + LH-40LR and LS-365CX + LH-47LR. Mostly shooting astro + birds. Have Canon R7 with Canon 100-400MK2, considering purchasing the Canon 200-800. The 365 is taller/compact, but worried 5 sections = less stable. Anyone here tried either?

Edited on Sep 08, 2025 at 04:22 PM · View previous versions



Sep 08, 2025 at 03:49 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


I have the 324EX. It is the 4-section with integrated leveling bowl, starting one size down. I would not get the 5-legged tripod. It's more of a PITA to open/close and at the lower angles will be more bendy on the legs. Maybe if you don't use the lower sector, but then you still want to keep it open a little to avoid the dirt and debris field outdoors. The Leofoto legs are not so well angled for stability. I used the Dremel to remove some aluminum from the leg stops to obtain a wider, more stable stance. One or more legs continue to loosen at the spider no matter how much I tighten them. Even fully tight, they are just a little loose. I carry 4mm hex wrenches in the field.

I don't use ball heads with Leofoto and avoid the lever locks at all costs so cannot advise on that.

I absolutely do not consider my Leofoto equal to my RRS or Gitzo tripods.

EBH



Sep 08, 2025 at 04:12 PM
bernardl
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Sorry to piss on the parade... to me Leofoto products are mostly just rip offs of RRS.

As a creator valuing my own IP, no way I'll ever buy anything from that brand unless it is a unique design (they have a few).

Cheers,
Bernard



Sep 08, 2025 at 07:12 PM
Flyer73
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Thanks!


Sep 09, 2025 at 02:56 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


bernardl wrote:
Sorry to piss on the parade... to me Leofoto products are mostly just rip offs of RRS.

As a creator valuing my own IP, no way I'll ever buy anything from that brand unless it is a unique design (they have a few).

Cheers,
Bernard


That may have been the case years ago. It is no longer true. Leofoto is introducing features in their products not found on RRS tripods, for example a leveling base that works very well, locking nuts to prevent ballhead slippage, and different style leg locks that IMO work better. Plus, it is difficult to argue that there is any meaningful and defensible IP in tripods these days. It is 3 sticks that join at an APEX with either twist or flip locks. The main innovation is in the CF materials, and they are all buying CF from third parties.

To the OP: I find most of Leofoto's tripods deficient in two areas - height and leg angle. The -CEX versions of the tripod add a few inches of height via a built-in leveling platform that seems to work very well. Leg angle is easily addressed with a file and 5 minutes of elbow grease. Their products are an excellent value.



Sep 11, 2025 at 11:32 AM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Is being a good value the main criteria in a durable goods product like a tripod?

EBH



Sep 11, 2025 at 03:46 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

smw6230
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


EB-1 wrote:
Is being a good value the main criteria in a durable goods product like a tripod?

EBH


That (durability) was what spooked me off Leofoto. I had their original 364 Ranger series tripod & later purchased their Poseidon 284 tripod. I ended up selling both. Sold the 364 because I despise buying things twice and I wasn't confident in the build quality for the long haul. I sold the Poseidon because I found it tippy & build quality.

I purchased two FLM 30 & 34L as replacents. Zero concerns about build quality and longevity with those tripods.

All that said the Leofoto's were my first real tripods (Dolica was my first tripod) and they weren't bad. If I hadn't experienced RRS, PMG or FLM. I would probably still have them. But once I did I realized that tier set a bar for build quality & craftsmanship that Leofoto couldn't match. For someone who uses their tripod multiple times per week build quality, craftsmanship, longevity and ease of use matter.

FWIW, I do still have a Leofoto monopod 364c.i know its not Gitzo, PMG or RRS level but those monopods cost 3x, at the low end, what the Leofoto 364c costs. Unlike my tripods I don't use my monopod often enough to justify the added expense. In the end it's a perfectly acceptable monopod.





Sep 11, 2025 at 05:02 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


EB-1 wrote:
Is being a good value the main criteria in a durable goods product like a tripod?

EBH


IMO, being a good value is THE criterion for any purchase, whether it is $5 or $5000. And by value I mean price at a quality point. I have an RRS tripod and two Leofoto tripods for around 4 years. The Leofoto's have not budged and their performance has met every expectation. The quantitative measurements at The Center Column places them ahead of many tripods that cost 2x-3x more, and only marginally behind the RRS equivalents. And even if they do budge 4 years from now, at 1/4 the price of an RRS they remain a vastly better value IMO. As mentioned in my previous post, I acknowledge that out of the box they tend to be tippy due to the needlessly small leg angle (around 23 degrees vs 25 degrees for most tripods). The fix for that is trivial for anyone with minor mechanical skills and 5 mins of free time. I acknowledge that for some that is not an option.



Sep 11, 2025 at 05:27 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Actually I was the one that posted about the Dremel on the leg stops.
I take a different approach to risk mitigation than some people. Tripods are durables, so I'd rather buy the best one at the time and keep it for many years. It's not electronics or cameras that are upgraded far more often.

EBH



Sep 11, 2025 at 09:51 PM
smw6230
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


EB-1 wrote:
Actually I was the one that posted about the Dremel on the leg stops.
I take a different approach to risk mitigation than some people. Tripods are durables, so I'd rather buy the best one at the time and keep it for many years. It's not electronics or cameras that are upgraded far more often.

EBH


Correct, I actually queried about the tippiness of the Leofoto Poseidon legs here and you were kind enough to answer and offer that recommendation. I think someone else also chimed in with the same suggestion.

I opted to just sell it because, although sounding easy, I have little experience with the tools required and didn't want the tripod to be the test case.

Since I got the tripod new, AND at a bargain price (ebay deal), I figured I could sell it at a profit (I did) and then upgrade to the FLM CP-30.

I already had an FLM CP34-L4 and knew that over the long haul (durability) that a CP-30 S4 would perform and hold up better than the Leofoto Poseidon.

The upgrade ended costing me $200 more but the smoothness and easy of use, coupled with the superior build quality, made it worth it in mind. Never have regretted the decision in the slightest.

In closing I'll put in a good word for the Leofoto Poseidon. Their rubber & metal leg locks are devine. I have no problem with the FLM all metal leg locks, but the Leofoto Poseidon leg locks may be the finest leg locks that I've ever come across on a tripod. If RRS wanted to repay the Leofoto copyright infringement they should copy that design and put them on their tripods.



Sep 12, 2025 at 10:10 AM
ULTRA777
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


EB-1 wrote:
I have the 324EX. It is the 4-section with integrated leveling bowl, starting one size down. I would not get the 5-legged tripod. It's more of a PITA to open/close and at the lower angles will be more bendy on the legs. Maybe if you don't use the lower sector, but then you still want to keep it open a little to avoid the dirt and debris field outdoors. The Leofoto legs are not so well angled for stability. I used the Dremel to remove some aluminum from the leg stops to obtain a wider, more stable stance. One or
...Show more →

Everything I've read here seems to be correct and the primary leg lock angle of 23° was the main reason why Leofoto was a deal breaker for me. The LS-364C X was on my shortlist as a travel tripod but I cannot accept such a compromise on leg angle and I don't want to have to start modifying a new purchase that was incorrectly designed in the first place.

I found the RRS Versa 34 with the optional fixed apex conversion kit + optional suregrip centre column to offer the best flexibility. It's 25° primary leg angle is acceptably stable. The only downside so far was the initial price. I've been spoiled by my Gitzo GT5543XLS which runs at 26° so anything around 23° would be a major concern.


Edited on Oct 02, 2026 at 06:22 PM · View previous versions



Sep 30, 2026 at 07:32 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


The leg angle trope is a red herring. In actual outdoor conditions where wind driven vibrations or off-camber ground is a factor, I would never set up a tripod using the minimum leg angle. With 20+mph winds, I am always using the second leg angle position which is generally 45-55 degrees on most decent legs. Further, you can mitigate vibrations much more effectively by using a counterweight hung below the apex. In truly challenging wind or on uneven ground, 24 or 25 degree leg spread is as useless as 23.

Leofoto legs equal or exceed the performance of any others I have used. Long term durability and serviceability are also important. Can legs be disassembled and cleaned? Are replacement parts readily available? Both are true for Leofoto.



Oct 01, 2026 at 12:32 PM
GeofFX
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


Yes! The 364 Ranger is my main go-to tripod, I am confident it’ll do anything I need it to. I bought together with an LH-55 head. It’s probably a bit of overkill, for most of my needs these days, but I don’t mind. I also use their L-brackets, and have one of their cages for my mirrorless body. All being the same high quality.


Oct 02, 2026 at 11:42 AM
Jeffrey
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Leofoto LS-364C X Version Ranger Series Tripod


I have the LS-365C X, and the 323C. They are fabulous, Good height and leg angle. Sturdy, too! I don't know one can complain about leg angle when it is fully adjustable(?). And I have three other smaller ones and two monopods from them.


Oct 02, 2026 at 05:59 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account