fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?

  
 
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


https://www.osprey.com/photolidtm

Replaces the brains with a dedicated space to carry a camera and a few lenses. On the surface seems like an interesting idea except... It places fairly heavy dense items very high, potentially compromising overall stability. And I am not sure that it saves much time. I usually keep my photo gear in a small or medium ICU placed near the top of the pack, right below my extra layer.



Jan 13, 2025 at 12:22 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


I would not carry my photo gear that high, would keep me off balance when traversing anything steep.


Jan 13, 2025 at 01:42 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


Why not put a tenba in there at a fraction of the cost?


Jan 13, 2025 at 01:45 PM
amv8
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


I know this doesn't answer your specific question as I haven't used the Osprey Photolid. I do have have two of the Osprey medium "ICUs" and one of the small ICUs. They are very well built and I've found them to be more practical to insert in my hiking pack. The medium ICU holds quite a bit, the small ICU not so much (m4/3 and 1 or 2 lenses).


Jan 13, 2025 at 03:02 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?




RoamingScott wrote:
Why not put a tenba in there at a fraction of the cost?


The photolid attaches to the top of the pack, not taking up any room within the pack.



Jan 13, 2025 at 04:28 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


Photolid- that's not where i would put my hardware.


Jan 13, 2025 at 04:33 PM
PIOK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


You can use this Photolid as expensive extension of your pack and put inside lite items (clothes) and use another ICU inside your pack. I guess there is not perfect solution for backpacking
My question is - if you add these to your pack does rain cover is still long enough to cover everything?



Jan 13, 2025 at 04:54 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


PIOK wrote:
You can use this Photolid as expensive extension of your pack and put inside lite items (clothes) and use another ICU inside your pack. I guess there is not perfect solution for backpacking
My question is - if you add these to your pack does rain cover is still long enough to cover everything?


You can use the brains instead for this purpose. The photolid costs half or more of what many backpacking packs cost. I would not be worried about rain covers, the photolid looks to be about the size of a brain.




Jan 13, 2025 at 06:16 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


RoamingScott wrote:
Why not put a tenba in there at a fraction of the cost?


Where is "there"? If you mean the main body compartment, the purpose of the photolid is to give you extra space in the pack. Using a compact, lightly padded insert from Tenba, or many others, is probably the default option for most people who hike with cameras these days.

Which brings up an ancillary question - what types of inserts to people like for backpacks?

Ideally something very lightly padded. For "light" kits, e.g., Z6, 14-30, 24-120 or 24-200 I use a Tenba
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1599460-REG/tenba_636_624_byob_10_dslr_backpack.html

But that is not enough when I want "everything", which for me is a Z6, 12-24/2.8, 24-120, 100-400. My normal insert for this kit is a Shimoda medium sloped ICU, I love that it is hard sided, but that is a liability when you are trying to pack a 100L pack to the gills.



Jan 13, 2025 at 06:22 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


GroovyGeek wrote:
Where is "there"? If you mean the main body compartment, the purpose of the photolid is to give you extra space in the pack. Using a compact, lightly padded insert from Tenba, or many others, is probably the default option for most people who hike with cameras these days.

Which brings up an ancillary question - what types of inserts to people like for backpacks?

Ideally something very lightly padded. For "light" kits, e.g., Z6, 14-30, 24-120 or 24-200 I use a Tenba
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1599460-REG/tenba_636_624_byob_10_dslr_backpack.html

But that is not enough when I want "everything", which for me is a Z6, 12-24/2.8, 24-120, 100-400. My
...Show more →

Yeah, I totally misread and didn't see that this thing BECOMES the "brain". Tenba wouldn't really work here.



Jan 13, 2025 at 06:32 PM
IndyFab
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


GroovyGeek wrote:
https://www.osprey.com/photolidtm

Replaces the brains with a dedicated space to carry a camera and a few lenses. On the surface seems like an interesting idea except... It places fairly heavy dense items very high, potentially compromising overall stability. And I am not sure that it saves much time. I usually keep my photo gear in a small or medium ICU placed near the top of the pack, right below my extra layer.


Not exactly sure what the brains is, but I use Mountainsmith Hiking Lumbar Pack. When using/wearing, I keep it in front, easy to grab the camera when needed or change from one lens to another. I bought a 3 section padded insert off Amazon to keep things safe from one another. It also has 2 pouches for water bottles.

Look at the Day & Tour >>>> https://mountainsmith.com/collections/all-lumbar-packs



Jan 15, 2025 at 11:27 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?




IndyFab wrote:
Not exactly sure what the brains is, but I use Mountainsmith Hiking Lumbar Pack. When using/wearing, I keep it in front, easy to grab the camera when needed or change from one lens to another. I bought a 3 section padded insert off Amazon to keep things safe from one another. It also has 2 pouches for water bottles.

Look at the Day & Tour >>>> https://mountainsmith.com/collections/all-lumbar-packs


Problem with using the lumbar packs in front is they block your vision of where your feet are going. This can be very dangerous on complex trails. I would not use something that obscures your feet.



Jan 15, 2025 at 11:44 AM
IndyFab
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


chez wrote:
Problem with using the lumbar packs in front is they block your vision of where your feet are going. This can be very dangerous on complex trails. I would not use something that obscures your feet.


If thats the case, it's an easy peasy fix, switch it to the rear when you are traversing those complex trails, if you feel thats going to be an issue for you, problem solved.



Jan 15, 2025 at 12:00 PM
TravelinBriNY
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Anyone used the Osprey Photolid?


Just saw this thread - which 3 section padded insert do you use and how do you like the lumbar pack?

IndyFab wrote:
Not exactly sure what the brains is, but I use Mountainsmith Hiking Lumbar Pack. When using/wearing, I keep it in front, easy to grab the camera when needed or change from one lens to another. I bought a 3 section padded insert off Amazon to keep things safe from one another. It also has 2 pouches for water bottles.

Look at the Day & Tour >>>> https://mountainsmith.com/collections/all-lumbar-packs





Sep 28, 2026 at 05:26 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account