Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Deep vs Shallow Translucent Umbrellas...

John Straus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Deep vs Shallow Translucent Umbrellas...

So I've had a bunch of shallow umbrellas over the years. I used them very generically. Now that these Deeps have taken over the market I have been buying a bunch of Glow (Adorama) reflective whites in various sizes. I know you get better "control" over light direction with these, I personally like them for the better build quality.

Last week I lost my trusty 42" Translucent shallow Elinchrom that I had been using for many years for simple one light fill for small groups and very recently with a low powered video light for bride & groom shots, again just for fill in hotel rooms etc. Now I need to replace that size. I bought a Deep 65" Glow translucent months ago that I've only used a few times. Twice for church formals and it worked great for a medium size group. I used it in a home for a bride shot the other day (video light) but it's really big and it seemed, because of the closer distance to subject, I got a lot of lower body falloff. So I am sort of feeling like I'd need a larger size Deep to mimic the even spread of a smaller shallow. Like I feel my old 42" would have filled more evenly than the 65" Deep... But without having both to compare on the same subject distance etc I'm just guessing... The falloff of the 65" deep wasn't bad but I just need a smaller size and am thinking of just sticking with the shallows. Anyone here using small to medium Deep Translucent? Are they just going to bounce light around the room more?

Jun 12, 2024 at 08:36 PM
jlafferty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Deep vs Shallow Translucent Umbrellas...

Why not just rebuy the Elinchrom? Shrinkflation has chewed an inch off, but itís still around:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325293-REG/elinchrom_el26359_41_umbrella_shallow_white_translucent.html

Jun 13, 2024 at 05:03 AM
ronchau

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Deep vs Shallow Translucent Umbrellas...

I have a few deep reflect umbrellas. I like the extra control they give me over standard shaped umbrellas. The deeper shape seems to help flag/block the light. Especially if I insert the strobe deeper into the umbrella.

For shoot through, not sure how the deeper shape has much difference over standard shape.

Jun 15, 2024 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.